Gibson Brands Forums

Saw John Mellencamp

Frances50

I saw John Mellencamp last night at the Township in Columbia, South Carolina. I was really surprised at how good his band actually is. He has two guitarists, one of which has been with him 45 years; one accordion/harmonica/keyboards player, one female violinist who was absolutely phenomenal, a drummer, and a bass player. Great selection of guitars. Looks like Mellencamp plays a Telecaster and a Martin acoustic. I wasn't close enough but I believe most of his band plays Gibson hollow bodies. I have a 335 but I will admit I get confused at all the different hollow body models and how to spot them. Carlene Carter was the opening act. Looks like she plays a Gibson SJ-200. She's a very good singer and player although I admit I'm not fond of country music. Mellencamp put on a great show. Played his oldies and some from his new album. At my age, I find it really inspiring to see artists from my generation still performing and doing it well.

Glad to hear you liked Mellencamp his song writing

Is so underated. I have been a huge fan of his since the 80's

Going to the concert in a few weeks. I saw him last concert at a small venue and it was great

Did the Telecaster look new or vintage? What color? He has some great acoustics

Bongo

He was very big here in Oz - I'd expect this would have been his biggest market outside North America - it really resonated here through the 80's and into the 90's. Cool songs with what to us was that real Americana type vibe. Good days.

Glad to hear you liked Mellencamp his song writing

Is so underated. I have been a huge fan of his since the 80's

Going to the concert in a few weeks. I saw him last concert at a small venue and it was great

Did the Telecaster look new or vintage? What color? He has some great acoustics

Bongo

To me, the telecaster looked vintage. Kinda a blonde color. Definitely think he was playing the Martin acoustic.

Archived