Gibson Brands Forums

Montana fun

Hogeye

Fred- thanks for passing along a great idea for my front door. Now; what era sunburst to use? And do you recall what guitar the 30's logo (upper left in headstocks pic) went to? Interesting inlay.

Y'know, I think that was some special series, but I cannot recollect the one. Hopefully either Hogeye or Jeremy Morton can chime in with details on that. My records show that that was during the 2011 Homecoming.

Fred

Well it's Saturday and a great day here in Montana. Today will be the last day for the Homecoming and it's a day filled with things to do at Music Villa. There will be two drawings. Music Villa has donated a $1,000.00 gift certificate and Gibson has donated a $500.00 certificate as well. There is a free guitar restringing as well as a lot of good old fashioned guitar picking going on. The good folks at Music Villa promise to be on their best behavior and Tony P will be spending most of the day playing the Gibson guitars Music Villa has on display.

I only use initials for last names as in the beginning of the Homecoming we used all of the folks names and put up photos. This became problematic when several trolls that lurked here started threatening folks at their private homes. One woman poster was actually stocked so.... Not a lot of folks want their photos to appear here and none want their last names published. Sorry

Last night the Homecoming folks had a 2 hour open mike in remembrance of Bob R. Bob as we all know had a very dry, sharp, sense of humor and some of the tunes played were from the bawdy blues past. Bob and Anne always managed to find a bawdy old blues tune to sing and play for us and Anne continued the tradition solo this year. She is a peach. Dave from Salt Lake played some nice finger style blues and a sweet folk tune as this was Bob's kind of music. Dave is a great guy and a fine singer and player. Did I mention he also plays banjo? We don't hold that against him. There were some Scottish ballads and the last song was written by John G. Floyd V. and Jeremy. Mike G. bought 50 kazoos and we all played kazoo on the chorus of the tune. Bob was loving that. It's pretty amazing how the kazoo brings the kid out in all of us. Val B. was leading the group. She is so much fun and so relaxed. retirement is doing great things for her. I'm leaving out many others who played and sang as well but I need to get out in the back yard and enjoy the weather. It's 48 and sunny and will get up to the low 80's soon. Jack will be over at 11 and we plan on playing a bit before we go down to the Villa.

Every year Bob's wife Anne makes a quilt for a free drawing and it is a point of pride for all of the folks that have won. She is an amazing lady and a wonderful quilter. I am lucky enough to have two of them. One she gave to me and Lynn and one I won at a drawing. Ren won this year and it was one of Anne's best ever. It was a special moment for all of us.Ren and Bob were pals and I know Ren will treasure this forever.

Lots of tears and a lot of great music.

Signing off from Beautiful downtown Bozeman,

Hogeye

I wonder how the folks that fly in for this - do they bring along their Gibson's? I would think that flying on a commercial airline would be a major pita with a guitar.

I would be very concerned if i had to put my guitar with the luggage...airlines will not let you carry it on board correct? The threat of it being lost or damaged - well, the worry would be at a high level to put it mildly.

Anyhow, sounds like a good time.

Paul-

I thought I'd read that some had shipped their guitars out to Music Villa in the past, and if this was possible, then double-boxing, and observing the usual guitar shipping safety tips would really make for a less stressful way to fly out to Bozeman and still be able to have your guitar with you.

Lots of the folks drive as they are from the intermountain area. It's a very interesting place to get to as you can see a lot of interesting places on the way. Places like Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier Park and a drive thru the beautiful states of Idaho, Nevada,Wyoming and Utah.

Anne and Bob always drove as well as Mike G. and John G. One good friend flies and I let him play one of my guitars. He has a Songwriter Deluxe cutaway this year. Floyd always drives out from Washington State and he always brings back a load of stuff from my archive. It's not a difficult thing. If you come out guitarless you will find there are plenty of them to play. If you get in touch with me I can lend you one of one for a couple of days. We are only a long days drive from places like Denver, Salt Lake City, Seattle and their surrounding areas.

This is a fun place to be and if anyone wants a very interesting family vacation this is as good a place as any. Better than most.

It's true that folks ship their guitars to Music Villa. They schedule set-ups and work done on their guitars and pick them up when they get here. And then there are some that put them on the airplanes. You hear a lot of horror stories about that but keep in mind that all guitars are shipped by air to their dealers and most get there just fine. Not an endorsement of the airlines but the truth is that they have a very good record of shipping guitars. We only hear of the bad experiences. Probably get flamed for that last statement but what the hell?

While at the Homecoming, got to play one of the first Thermallly cured topped J-45s. Hope I am not leaking any confidential info - but this is one flipping fabulous guitar. Does it result in a more "vintage like" Tone?

Yep. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Gibson has been working for years with the University of Minnesota Duluth (Natural Resource Research Institute / NRRI) in researching and developing the process. Speaking from experience with that NRRI division when I lived in Minnesota, their research, and product development assistance was always considered top-notch. I think we'll be seeing these at 5-Star Dealers this summer. On the factory tour we saw a small amount of Hummingbirds that had also been built using their new proprietory process.

If you run across one, play it. But, be prepared to be severly smitten. [biggrin]

image.jpg1_zpskt4qcpbj.jpg

While at the Homecoming, got to play one of the first Thermallly cured topped J-45s. Hope I am not leaking any confidential info - but this is one flipping fabulous guitar. Does it result in a more "vintage like" Tone?

Yep. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks for that info - can't wait to try one.

And congratulations on the new 35. Something tells me you are an incorrigible slope-Gibson-person, Duluth. ,-)

, , , , proprietory process !?

Apart from that - How I wish Bozeman would send me and old/new raw/half wrecked 1-3/4 neck.

Archived