Gibson Brands Forums

Do any J-45's come with the prewar sunburst?

jooonnn

I just love the way the prewar sunburst looks on old gibson's, such as this one found on fuller's. Are there any J-45 True Vintage models that come with this burst or a similar darker/oranger burst? I know a lot of the SCGC VS's and VJ's do but they don't have that Gibson thump. It seems like the only way is to get a actual prewar J-35 or a very expensive custom shop. I'm about to buy a new J-45 TV (non adi) but I'm so torn.

30sjumboFVG010.jpg

There's actually a J-45 TV at the San Francisco Guitar Center that has a pre-war burst on it. It's very similar to the one you've pictured below. it looks really cool, and the guitar plays/sounds great. they've got it in the case in their acoustic room but i got the guy to take it out for me a couple of weeks ago.

I think they're out there but it's the only one i've seen. i know what you mean, i really like the look of them too

Uh I'm not sure if I correctly named the sunburst but I just like the sunbursts as seen on much older guitars such as banner LG-2's where the darker regions are much bolder and gives a nicer contrast to the smaller and more centered orangeish burst

For my edification' date=' could you describe why this is a "pre-war" burst?[/quote']

The "pre-war burst" iirc is supposed to consist of three colours black/brown red and yellow, while the standard burst omits the red. The "Pre-war burst" also used to be called "Triburst" or "three-color burst" as a result. It was typically accorded an upcharge if you ordered a guitar from the factory with the prewar or Triburst.

In order to "see" the red more clearly, you sometimes need to photograph the guitar with a bright light source.

See here, two J-185s from Bozeman, one on the left is a 1999 or 2000 (I forget which year and who really cares anway) with a two-colour burst, while the one on the right is a later "Dave's Guitar '51 re-issue J-185" with the triburst finish:

1999GibsonJ-185VS2000GibsonDavesGui.jpg

It's a subtle but oh-so-purty difference.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jooonnn,

I highly recommend the 30's Prewar True Vintage Jumbo over ANY of the regular Gibson acoustics.

I have owned and played dozens of J-45s and WAS going to buy the 30's jumbo at Fullers but made

a similar deal on the same guitar in Los Angeles. It was only a few hundred more than the TV J-45

yet i feel it plays, and sounds so much better. I was talking to Ren Fergusson at the recent Namm

show and he confirmed that those 24 guitars are special. There are a few features on this guitar

that you just wont find on the regular j-45. The least of which being the smaller sunburst that you

like. It reminds me of a 1949 j-45 that I regrettably sold to pay bills and it plays much easier.

I wont even have to wait 20 years for it to open up and sound better. it is allready there! This guitar

will go to my grave with me, it is that great! Pony up and get that guitar and have no regrets, none!

Thanks Gibson and Ren!!

I just love the way the prewar sunburst looks on old gibson's' date=' such as this one found on fuller's. Are there any J-45 True Vintage models that come with this burst or a similar darker/oranger burst? I know a lot of the SCGC VS's and VJ's do but they don't have that Gibson thump. It seems like the only way is to get a actual prewar J-35 or a very expensive custom shop. I'm about to buy a new J-45 TV (non adi) but I'm so torn.

[img']http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/JERMDADDY/gibson%20acoustics/30sjumboFVG010.jpg[/img]

Musician's Friend/Private Reserve Guitars offer the J45 Icon, which has a tri-burst, but the dark area looks limited to the very edges of the top at the lower bought (as MANY pre-war bursts were, in truth). Oddly, it looks like they mixed a banner peghead with a 50's pickguard.

Red 333

Archived