Gibson Brands Forums

Wed. Night Jam Report

Silvercrow

So a guy I've know for a while has been out of commission for some time after a surgical procedure. He's back now with a vengence. A very good guitar player, he "discovered" bass about 4 years ago and is totally immersed. He is really good- phrasing is outstanding and he just has a feel that puts him in a different class.

We have a lot in common and yesterday we got together and jammed for about 3 hours. I took my new-to-me Mustang III v2 amp.

I knew it was gonna be a killer night- as my wife and I stood waiting for them to answer the door, Santana's version of "Black Magic Woman" is blasting throughout the house. The ladies readied dinner and my buddy Rick, bass strapped on, said "Alright, lets go! Heres your extension cord..."Hardly time to tune up and we went through a version of "Evil Ways". Good warm up- not too tough.

The new - to - me amp (Mustang III v2) preformed admirably. Rick was impressed and noted, like me, that while the tone was not exactly like a 65 Deluxe Reverb, it was darn close and would pass in many a jam or local gigging situation. (He was also surprised, as I am myself, that me, being a tube amp ...advocate...and generally against imports from countries that begin with China, was so enthusiastic. Hey-it's a good product and I've gotta give credit where credit is due).

We went through song after song- I learned how rusty I am in a "live" situation and remembered how much fun this all is. Songs included a wide range, from "Lost in the 50s Tonight" and "6 Pack" to "Oye Como Va" and "Keep Your Hands to Yourself". Great time!

He has a computer program linked to his studio sound system to remove various parts of songs and we generally went through once playing along with the band, then again sans guitar and bass. Did I mention how rusty I am?

One highlight- there is an old guitar case on the couch and at one point he tells me to "try that one out". It's his original '54 Les Paul- Gold "sparkle" top thats aged to a slight green patina, killer neck, p90 pups. I know old ain't always good, but this guitar rocked! His pop got him the guitar for graduation in 1955.

I also got to play his ES 335, a guitar I'd never played before. I was surprised at the ballsy-ness of the bridge pup in the 335.

So, a great night! Thanks for letting me share!

I know you guys that have been here for a while have posted a million times about jams and gigs. How about a Million and One? Any RECENT jams or gigs that stand out for any reason? Lets hear 'bout 'em, Please!

Brian

Hi Brian,

Stellar jam report! I'd probably left a bit of a skid mark on various articles of closing had I opened up a case and pulled out an original 54 gold top. you clearly didn't see that coming..

Happy to know that you and your new mustang are off to a good start. Take some time with her, there's quite a few doors to open!

I have been doing weekly jams with a few different bands these last few years. One is a cover band that is comprised of players that I've known since FOREVER. we can literally read each others minds, this goes back to 1977 with some of these cats.

The other band is an originals band that started back 1992, we've gone thru a few changes over the years, but the chemistry has always been nothing short of excellent. My brother in-law Dan has recently joined in to play bass, he is very good and works well with Dave (Drums) who is a monster player. I have some sound cloud clips of some of our tunes should you be so inclined to hear some of it.

I really enjoy playing music with people I've known for decades. there are simply no attitudes or shenanigans, it's all about the music and having fun playing it. the way it should be! sounds like you've got a very similar situation!

Dig that mustang man! and as mentioned previously, just reach out if you need some help sorting out the details.

/Ray

Hi Brian,

Stellar jam report! I'd probably left a bit of a skid mark on various articles of closing had I opened up a case and pulled out an original 54 gold top. you clearly didn't see that coming..

Happy to know that you and your new mustang are off to a good start. Take some time with her, there's quite a few doors to open!

I have been doing weekly jams with a few different bands these last few years. One is a cover band that is comprised of players that I've known since FOREVER. we can literally read each others minds, this goes back to 1977 with some of these cats.

The other band is an originals band that started back 1992, we've gone thru a few changes over the years, but the chemistry has always been nothing short of excellent. My brother in-law Dan has recently joined in to play bass, he is very good and works well with Dave (Drums) who is a monster player. I have some sound cloud clips of some of our tunes should you be so inclined to hear some of it.

I really enjoy playing music with people I've known for decades. there are simply no attitudes or shenanigans, it's all about the music and having fun playing it. the way it should be! sounds like you've got a very similar situation!

Dig that mustang man! and as mentioned previously, just reach out if you need some help sorting out the details.

/Ray

Thats for that report! Man, you've got some history there, both bands! In my originals band we got to the point of reading each other...hoping to get back there again. Thats an awesome thing!

Yes- I'd love to hear a recording(s)!

Thanks Kidblast- I did send you an email, earlier this AM!

Brian

Did I mention how rusty I am?

You did mention it! But good on ya for getting back into it. It comes back I can assure you. I took a couple decades off from gigging (though not from playing) and leapt back in last year. We'll end up doing fifty gigs this year (paying gigs - I'm too old to work for free [biggrin] ).

As for recent gig action, I have three gigs this weekend - tonight, Fri, and Sat and since I've been on vacation for two weeks and haven't touched a guitar my callouses are weak. It's gonna be painful...

On the bright side, the gig tonight has a big ol' stage and it's an outdoor patio so I'm gonna use one of my old tube amps (75 Deluxe Reverb) instead of my new-fangled digital, go-direct set up. It's gonna be fun! [thumbup]

Jam sessions are great. I'm glad you had a great time. I started one up at my home about 4 years ago. We get together once a month. It started out with myself and one other guitar player. We now have a bass player and a singer. We may get a sax player in the near future. It's a great time without the drama of a gigging group and no one cares if we mess up a song. This month we started working on Fields of Gold. Music and cold beer, a boat load of fun.

Kenny V

I've got a big outdoor gig tomorrow if it doesn't rain - Bournemouth (UK) Pier Approach.

Report and (we hope) video if it goes ahead.

I have to start travelling at 3.30pm and will get confirmation/cancellation by phone by 4.30pm. 2 1/2hr journey. My gig money is already spent on fuel.

This is the band I have given my notice to because of the front man's behaviour (thread late May) but it is sounding very good indeed at the moment...and he is behaving himself so far.....

So a guy I've know for a while has been out of commission for some time after a surgical procedure. He's back now with a vengence. A very good guitar player, he "discovered" bass about 4 years ago and is totally immersed. He is really good- phrasing is outstanding and he just has a feel that puts him in a different class.

We have a lot in common and yesterday we got together and jammed for about 3 hours. I took my new-to-me Mustang III v2 amp.

I knew it was gonna be a killer night- as my wife and I stood waiting for them to answer the door, Santana's version of "Black Magic Woman" is blasting throughout the house. The ladies readied dinner and my buddy Rick, bass strapped on, said "Alright, lets go! Heres your extension cord..."Hardly time to tune up and we went through a version of "Evil Ways". Good warm up- not too tough.

The new - to - me amp (Mustang III v2) preformed admirably. Rick was impressed and noted, like me, that while the tone was not exactly like a 65 Deluxe Reverb, it was darn close and would pass in many a jam or local gigging situation. (He was also surprised, as I am myself, that me, being a tube amp ...advocate...and generally against imports from countries that begin with China, was so enthusiastic. Hey-it's a good product and I've gotta give credit where credit is due).

We went through song after song- I learned how rusty I am in a "live" situation and remembered how much fun this all is. Songs included a wide range, from "Lost in the 50s Tonight" and "6 Pack" to "Oye Como Va" and "Keep Your Hands to Yourself". Great time!

He has a computer program linked to his studio sound system to remove various parts of songs and we generally went through once playing along with the band, then again sans guitar and bass. Did I mention how rusty I am?

One highlight- there is an old guitar case on the couch and at one point he tells me to "try that one out". It's his original '54 Les Paul- Gold "sparkle" top thats aged to a slight green patina, killer neck, p90 pups. I know old ain't always good, but this guitar rocked! His pop got him the guitar for graduation in 1955.

I also got to play his ES 335, a guitar I'd never played before. I was surprised at the ballsy-ness of the bridge pup in the 335.

So, a great night! Thanks for letting me share!

I know you guys that have been here for a while have posted a million times about jams and gigs. How about a Million and One? Any RECENT jams or gigs that stand out for any reason? Lets hear 'bout 'em, Please!

Brian

Hi Brian, thank you for sharing your jam experience. [thumbup] It's great that you got to rock out with your friend and give your Mustang a good workout [thumbup] What a great friend to let you try out his '54 Goldtop and ES-335 [drool]

I like the idea of being able to do 'deep editing' with the Mustang's settings [thumbup]

Please keep us informed with the Mustang, I'm very impressed with the videos I've seen of a comparison of the Mustang with the Fender tube amps.

kind regards, Emma :)

I've got a big outdoor gig tomorrow if it doesn't rain - Bournemouth (UK) Pier Approach.

Report and (we hope) video if it goes ahead.

I have to start travelling at 3.30pm and will get confirmation/cancellation by phone by 4.30pm. 2 1/2hr journey. My gig money is already spent on fuel.

This is the band I have given my notice to because of the front man's behaviour (thread late May) but it is sounding very good indeed at the moment...and he is behaving himself so far.....

Hi jdgm, hope the gig goes well for you [thumbup]

I have to start travelling at 3.30pm and will get confirmation/cancellation by phone by 4.30pm.

Hi jdgm, hope the gig goes well for you [thumbup]

Many thanks Emma....but alas it has now (midday) been cancelled due to very heavy rain.....well at least I will get paid anyway ([thumbup] [thumbup]) and I don't have to do the long journey!

Regards!

Many thanks Emma....but alas it has now (midday) been cancelled due to very heavy rain.....well at least I will get paid anyway ([thumbup] [thumbup]) and I don't have to do the long journey!

Regards!

Hi jdgm, sorry to hear about the cancellation of your gig. It's great you are still being paid [thumbup] I live in Suffolk and it's pouring down with rain, it's quite chilly too, feels more like autumn.

Hey All- thanks and keep 'em coming. I, for one, love reading about other's musical activity. Thanks all for the well-wishing as my efforts to re-start and rejuvenate begin to take shape and hopefully come to fruition!

@Kenny V- thats a great idea- starting one of your own! I've hesitated to start a band because I am not a good singer, but, starting a jam session at my home? I could do that!

Although my buddy Rick is up in age, it was so cool to see and feel his enthusiasiam! I'm really hoping we can get something going.

@ Surfpup- that sounds REALLY good! Outdoors, old tube amp! Best wishes- let us know how the gig goes! Thanks for the encouragement also!

@ Emma- you are such a kind and considerate soul- thanks for your comments and encouragement!

@Kidblast- you are a real friend! Thanks for helping the old far...guy...get going in the digital age! Look out, 21st Century!

@JDGM- sorry to hear about the cancellation! You got paid- a good thing, but I'm betting you'd love to be playing tonight! Also good that your 'frontman' is behaving himself! It kills me- all the bands I've been in have split up not necessarily due to musical differences, but because of personality clashes! Just like 'the Big Guys' in the business! Not a thing to emulate, IMO. Hope all continues to go well for you and your band!

Brian

@ Surfpup- that sounds REALLY good! Outdoors, old tube amp! Best wishes- let us know how the gig goes! Thanks for the encouragement also!

Ah, it was good. The old Deluxe sounded great and the weather cooperated. The last time we played there it poured all night. We were under a roof, but no one was on the patio and everyone had to listen from inside the bar. Last night it was clear and the place was full. No rain - until we finished. Then a huge thunderstorm came zooming in. Fortunately a few local musicians helped us break down and load out in record time. We beat the rain by literally seconds before it dumped. Perfect night! Thanks for asking. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

I was fortunate enough to have 3 paying gigs this weekend. I am in the UK.

Friday night - blues/rock covers band does drummerless acoustic set in local-to-me pub. Not full but a good, constant stream of customers and we played well. When playing acoustic guitar I sit down. My acoustic has a bridge piezo which sounded good and worked well through the Roland MicroCube which I had right next to me so I could fiddle with the settings. Played 8.45 to 11pm with one break.

Sunday (today) midday to 4pm; jazz duo outdoors at a private function - birthday party, again fairly local to me. Now I check my gear so it works before I take it out, and today I was using my nice Knight semi through my Vibrochamp. It all sounded 100% good at home but immediately I plugged in at the gig it was wrong - amp distorting nastily even at low level and I got that hum from the guitar which stops when you touch it and means the wire to the bridge/tailpiece is not connected. Unthinkable! On MY jazz guitar? Huh? Anyway very luckily we took a transistor bass amp along (on 3-4 numbers the sax player plays bass to give some variation) and I went through that ok. Phew.

However it unsettled me enough to affect my playing quite a lot and it wasn't one of our best gigs. Went on a long time too though we got 2 breaks.

But I made a mistake when one of the audience came up and complimented us on our version of "Summertime", and because of the problems I was having I replied that it wasn't that good. Very bad of me - you must never do that as you destroy the person's enjoyment, and probably their good will toward you. They have no idea (and don't need to know) about any problems you may be having. Should have shut up and just accepted the compliment. Lesson learned.

45 minutes after getting back I load up the loud electric gear (LP, Strat, FX board, Fender Super 60 etc) and drive 30 miles to my evening blues/rock band gig in a pub near Southampton. We are playing 7pm until 9pm but start late as the harp player got stuck in traffic. While setting up I find the 2 x AAA batteries I recently put in my tuner are dead [cursing] . We have a dep drummer this evening who is very good and even has lights to put around his kit! The gig goes ok, but I'm unhappy with my sound and pedal settings so don't play too well and only on "Call Me The Breeze" do I satisfy myself soloing-wise, mostly because our guest drummer is better on this number than our regular one and the groove is excellent. But I can't get anything good out of my Route 66 overdrive tonight, and most of my guitar sound is being swallowed up somewhere along with the bass and the monitors. We finish late and I have to say I'm just a little tired of "Mustang Sally".....well it's just another pub and almost empty too. However a couple did hear the band and wandered in and the bloke asked if he could sing "Johnny B Goode" with us, which he did pretty well (in A) at the start of the 2nd set, his girlfriend very impressed indeed. I drive 30 miles home........oh, and our leader and frontman swears he won't stop the numbers again so I'll probably stay with this for a while now.

....And test my semi guitar and Fender amp which were misbehaving earlier. Both are working perfectly! The power extension board our host at the birthday party had supplied, must not have been earthed properly (or maybe not at all). That's another lesson and one I should have learned by now - I should have brought my own extension.

I used to do 3 gigs a weekend back in the early 80s. This is what I have practiced so hard and so long for....work.....gigs....paying ones too.

I almost never play on a stage or in some kind of rock venue or big hall. For every musician that does that, there are probably a hundred guys like me.

One day maybe I'll have a bit of room and won't be hidden behind a p.a speaker. I don't care much about that now. I haven't got time - just to play well is all I want.

Regards to all!

Hi,

I had a gig with my blues rock trio on Friday and let me tell you it was amazing, my best show so far, not that I have played like a god or something but the audience reaction were stunning, there was around 200 peoples and I 've never had so much fun.

The bass player was quite new he only plays for one year but he is talented.

We have had 3 'encores' and we played songs we played only 2 times in rehearsal like Bonamassa's Bridge to better days

peoples were so happy, dancing and stuff ...pure moment of happiness

I post here the first song of the show, cover of Hideaway and Walking by Myself

I was fortunate enough to have 3 paying gigs this weekend. I am in the UK.

Friday night - blues/rock covers band does drummerless acoustic set in local-to-me pub. Not full but a good, constant stream of customers and we played well. When playing acoustic guitar I sit down. My acoustic has a bridge piezo which sounded good and worked well through the Roland MicroCube which I had right next to me so I could fiddle with the settings. Played 8.45 to 11pm with one break.

Sunday (today) midday to 4pm; jazz duo outdoors at a private function - birthday party, again fairly local to me. Now I check my gear so it works before I take it out, and today I was using my nice Knight semi through my Vibrochamp. It all sounded 100% good at home but immediately I plugged in at the gig it was wrong - amp distorting nastily even at low level and I got that hum from the guitar which stops when you touch it and means the wire to the bridge/tailpiece is not connected. Unthinkable! On MY jazz guitar? Huh? Anyway very luckily we took a transistor bass amp along (on 3-4 numbers the sax player plays bass to give some variation) and I went through that ok. Phew.

However it unsettled me enough to affect my playing quite a lot and it wasn't one of our best gigs. Went on a long time too though we got 2 breaks.

But I made a mistake when one of the audience came up and complimented us on our version of "Summertime", and because of the problems I was having I replied that it wasn't that good. Very bad of me - you must never do that as you destroy the person's enjoyment, and probably their good will toward you. They have no idea (and don't need to know) about any problems you may be having. Should have shut up and just accepted the compliment. Lesson learned.

45 minutes after getting back I load up the loud electric gear (LP, Strat, FX board, Fender Super 60 etc) and drive 30 miles to my evening blues/rock band gig in a pub near Southampton. We are playing 7pm until 9pm but start late as the harp player got stuck in traffic. While setting up I find the 2 x AAA batteries I recently put in my tuner are dead [cursing] . We have a dep drummer this evening who is very good and even has lights to put around his kit! The gig goes ok, but I'm unhappy with my sound and pedal settings so don't play too well and only on "Call Me The Breeze" do I satisfy myself soloing-wise, mostly because our guest drummer is better on this number than our regular one and the groove is excellent. But I can't get anything good out of my Route 66 overdrive tonight, and most of my guitar sound is being swallowed up somewhere along with the bass and the monitors. We finish late and I have to say I'm just a little tired of "Mustang Sally".....well it's just another pub and almost empty too. However a couple did hear the band and wandered in and the bloke asked if he could sing "Johnny B Goode" with us, which he did pretty well (in A) at the start of the 2nd set, his girlfriend very impressed indeed. I drive 30 miles home........oh, and our leader and frontman swears he won't stop the numbers again so I'll probably stay with this for a while now.

....And test my semi guitar and Fender amp which were misbehaving earlier. Both are working perfectly! The power extension board our host at the birthday party had supplied, must not have been earthed properly (or maybe not at all). That's another lesson and one I should have learned by now - I should have brought my own extension.

I used to do 3 gigs a weekend back in the early 80s. This is what I have practiced so hard and so long for....work.....gigs....paying ones too.

I almost never play on a stage or in some kind of rock venue or big hall. For every musician that does that, there are probably a hundred guys like me.

One day maybe I'll have a bit of room and won't be hidden behind a p.a speaker. I don't care much about that now. I haven't got time - just to play well is all I want.

Regards to all!

Great report JDGM! 'Ol "Murphy" was working overtime on your equipment but you soldiered through! Good on ya! As far as the comment to the audience member- we all do things like that man! And it's so easy to do something like that when technical stuff, especially when it worked at rehearsal or at home prior to the event, goes wrong! And I feel ya on it affecting your playing- hard to re-adjust and refocus.

Hope your gigging frequency and quality stays up there!

RE: Mustang Sally. I SWEAR if royalties were actually paid every time a band played that song on a gig, the writers would be financially well off enough for their great-great-great grandkids to benefit! [smile]

Brian

Hi,

I had a gig with my blues rock trio on Friday and let me tell you it was amazing, my best show so far, not that I have played like a god or something but the audience reaction were stunning, there was around 200 peoples and I 've never had so much fun.

The bass player was quite new he only plays for one year but he is talented.

We have had 3 'encores' and we played songs we played only 2 times in rehearsal like Bonamassa's Bridge to better days

peoples were so happy, dancing and stuff ...pure moment of happiness

I post here the first song of the show, cover of Hideaway and Walking by Myself

Hey Awel! Great report-thanks for that! Glad everything went so well. Theres nothing like playing when the audience / patrons are into it; just makes you want to give even more! Looking forward to seeing your video- filters at work keep it blank so I won't see it till I get home.

Thanks again- living vicariously through all of you!

Brian

SO I guess I better add my own- although not a "gig" in the traditional sense.

Yesterday's Sunday morning worship went VERY well! Our new Director is an awesome guy and a musician outside of church- plays in a trio with his two sons (color me extremely jealous...is that a sin...LOL). Anyway, we've arranged some of the more...docile..generic...vanilla, P&W songs and ramp them up quite a bit. I'm not a morning person and it takes three cups of strong coffee to get me groovin at 9AM on a Sunday. But we were 'in the pocket' and opened up with "Your Grace is Enough". I found a great setting on the Mustang- '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb with my Archer pedal and my one and only LP Studio. Luke, our Director (drummer, guitar, vocals)nodded to me and said "Let it rip!" and we did! So cool to see everyone on their feet without being asked and bobbin and clapping. Big smiles all around. Let the last power chord ring out and the Pastor bounds up on the stage and says "WELL! Thats the way to get our service started!" I agree! [thumbup]

Only 5 songs- the highlight of which (mentioned in previous post) a particularly haunting version of "In Christ Alone"- our keyboard / pennywhistle guy had everyone 'captured'! Great time and service! The Mustang amp worked flawlessly and my wife said the sound / tone was phenominal. We were fortunate to have Chris on sound, and although he is the "2nd in command" he not only has the technical ability for sound reinforcement but a good musical ear. Made all the difference!

The only downer (bittersweet, actually) for yesterday (my birthday) was I ran into my neighbor's brother, who is a great musician singer/songwriter that I've had the pleasure to jam with occasionally in the past. He is all excited- got his band together and they are recording originals now and through the winter, ramping up to gig beginning Spring 2016. I am truly happy for him, but jealous too! I am struggling trying to get a band together and I'm working with a great guy (Rick) bass player and guitarist, but his age and health may be a hinderance for us going forward. I don't sing well and that fact has always been a problem for me in trying to 'head up' a project or band. I have a good ear, my vocal 'instrument' just won't cooperate! Praying things will come together!

Thanks all- keep 'em coming if you will!

Brian

Hi,

I had a gig with my blues rock trio on Friday and let me tell you it was amazing, my best show so far......I've never had so much fun.

Good job Awel, like your fire!

SO I guess I better add my own- although not a "gig" in the traditional sense.

Yesterday's Sunday morning worship went VERY well! Our new Director is an awesome guy and a musician outside of church- plays in a trio with his two sons (color me extremely jealous...is that a sin...LOL). Anyway, we've arranged some of the more...docile..generic...vanilla, P&W songs and ramp them up quite a bit. I'm not a morning person and it takes three cups of strong coffee to get me groovin at 9AM on a Sunday. But we were 'in the pocket' and opened up with "Your Grace is Enough". I found a great setting on the Mustang- '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb with my Archer pedal and my one and only LP Studio. Luke, our Director (drummer, guitar, vocals)nodded to me and said "Let it rip!" and we did! So cool to see everyone on their feet without being asked and bobbin and clapping. Big smiles all around. Let the last power chord ring out and the Pastor bounds up on the stage and says "WELL! Thats the way to get our service started!" I agree! [thumbup]

Only 5 songs- the highlight of which (mentioned in previous post) a particularly haunting version of "In Christ Alone"- our keyboard / pennywhistle guy had everyone 'captured'! Great time and service! The Mustang amp worked flawlessly and my wife said the sound / tone was phenominal. We were fortunate to have Chris on sound, and although he is the "2nd in command" he not only has the technical ability for sound reinforcement but a good musical ear. Made all the difference!

The only downer (bittersweet, actually) for yesterday (my birthday) was I ran into my neighbor's brother, who is a great musician singer/songwriter that I've had the pleasure to jam with occasionally in the past. He is all excited- got his band together and they are recording originals now and through the winter, ramping up to gig beginning Spring 2016. I am truly happy for him, but jealous too! I am struggling trying to get a band together and I'm working with a great guy (Rick) bass player and guitarist, but his age and health may be a hinderance for us going forward. I don't sing well and that fact has always been a problem for me in trying to 'head up' a project or band. I have a good ear, my vocal 'instrument' just won't cooperate! Praying things will come together!

Thanks all- keep 'em coming if you will!

Brian

You know I am not a great singer but I like to sing so I have worked a lot just to be able to sing and play at the same Time and I don't care I 'm not a great singer people enjoy my show and that's enough for me :)

So do what you want to do, go ahead ;)

Archived