Gibson Brands Forums

Fun toy for not much money

'Scales

I keep my old Melody Maker at the office for rainy days when I can't get out for a lunchbreak walk (or for slow days generally...) and bought one of these a few weeks back. It is seriously the most fun for such a small cost (say $50 US) . Loads of features - 3 each of chorus, delay and reverb, 2 stages of gain boost, ... anyway the guy on this video describes it well.

Glad I have a locked door for my office for those times I am stadium rocking out with the headphones on [laugh]

Highly recommended.

It actually does sound pretty good - the video is a fair representation - and the clean sound with some delay is actually nice for example. Certainly useful range for writing or practicing songs from light and airy to heavy rock (nice and loud through phones on full vol). All the controls do what they are supposed to. I don't think he showed it but by pressing the fx button and holding the on button at the same time it cycles through 3 (each) distinctly different choruses, delays and reverbs - not like having dials, but still a decent range of effects. No leads means you can just walk around with it which would be cool at home too, though it also has a second jack where you can connect an mp3 or phone or laptop or whatever and blend in to play along with any music you want to or work out solo's against rhythm tracks or whatever.

PS. Made in Japan (!) - not where I expected it to be made, and after quite a few hours without a glitch (or any sign of needing new batteries) I think they've got some quality I'd expect from MIJ. [thumbup]

This looks like a lot of fun. I can see using it in your office like you are. But I am thinking this would be great for traveling! I take a Boss Eband JS-8 when I travel and it is really handy. But this would be even more convenient.

Which one did you get? The AC-30? The Classic Rock?

Sweetwater has these for $40!

Thanks Scales! That was actually an instructional video for me.

I was out of town last week and snuck out to a GC nearby and noticed the newer version and picked one up.

I have only had about a half hour to play with it so far but it sounds great! Glad I bought it! 40 bucks!

I got the classic rock.

Yep, Classic Rock for me too. They also do AC30, Metal, and Bass versions with differnt fx. I think the guy has videos on some of the others too.

Another Classic Rock demo with backing track (orange = mid gain boost, Red = high gain boost)

Archived