Gibson Brands Forums

Smoke

ksdaddy

I know, nothing worse than a reformed smoker.

A few months ago I opened the Telecaster's case to get something. Understand, the Tele hasn't been IN that case for about a decade save for moving it from the old house to the new house in 2012. The case reeked of smoke. I just slammed it shut. Ew.

A week ago or so I bought a Mexican Strat from some crackhead and I almost had to wash the guitar in the sink. Phew.

Another guitar that never sees a case is my SJ. However I scored a newer black/red Gibson case a year ago, so it's assigned case (generic Canadian at the time; that guitar has been in a half dozen cases since 1984 purchase) and I figured I'd reassign the generic Canadian to host my '98 Seagull. So I opened it for a fitting.

PEE-YOOOO.

Holy curse curse curse curse, I never realized how much that smell got into things.

Man, what a stench. I never realized. (smh)

my '78 Alvarez yari D?Y784 was previously owned by a chain smoker (I bought it in 1989). it took a real long time and more than a few Lil Tree air fresheners to rid the smell from the guitar and not make you want to hurl when you opened the case, (which is long gone, replaced with a Silver Creek case a few years ago.)

ksd - that is your subc transferring your hidden desire to smoke to the surface as temptation and you then utilizing denial as a defense against such ..... or something like that. edit; as in "careful, a weak moment is near".

Back in the old bar band days (you used to be able to smoke in them all) I used to leave my gear out in the sunshine to help dissipate the smell. Works pretty well.

A few years ago I bought a Gibson acoustic on eBay and it arrived smelling like a carton of Marlboros! After wiping it down with spray cleaner (whatever about the "nitro") I stuffed a couple dryer sheets through the sound hole. Then I sprayed Febreeze liberally in the case the rubbed it in. After a couple weeks it barely smelled at all. Now, after acclimating to my house, it has no noticeable smell at all (cigs or the products with which I cleaned it).

Archived