Gibson Brands Forums

Light modifications on a 2014 SGJ

Josee

Hiya,

I'm thinking of lightly modifying my 2014 SGJ but I'm wondering if those would de-valuate my guitar. Yes or no...?

If it isn't to affect negatively the value of my guitar, I'd like to change the Vintage Gibson individual 3x3 tuners (the snot green ones) as my guitar doesn't stay tuned very well. I tried the Vintage Reissue Electric Guitar Strings in all 3 available gauges; the 11-50 and the 10-46 made the tuning a royal pain, as the guitar would de-tune after the 1st verse of playing a song. And yes, I do bend and lock the strings when installing new ones. So I tried the 9-42 gauge and the guitar keeps its tuning for about 30 minutes or so of heavy practices. But I hate the sound of the 9-42 (too brite!) and they bend too easily for my playing level.

So, I have in mind of buying a 3x3 tuner set that would fit in the actual screw holes. Would the Authentic Kluson Individual Tuner with black (plastic or metal) buttons be acceptable, and will I need to purchase adapter bushings?

Furthermore, I'd like to know if anyone who owns a 2014 SGJ have purchased humbucker R/T pickup covers? If so, what brand and size did you buy -and- does it alter the overall sound of the guitar?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post, and looking forward to your answers. :)

Josee

Hi Josee, Welcome to the Forum! [biggrin]

It's YOUR guitar...mod it any way you want! SG-J's are not going to be particularly "Collectible,"

in the sense of an "investment!" Too many made, and...as great as they are, they're more a budget

model, in the overall scheme of things. Even the more costly models are made in large enough numbers,

that "investment" will only be (mostly) what inflation garners. Some limited edition, Custom Shop,

or "one of kind" will have investment value. But, most likely, not the kind the '50's Les Paul

models command.

Besides, the "mods" you're considering, don't sound like they'd put more holes in the guitar, or

radically alter the "stock" spec's, beyond slight cosmetic changes. The Tuplip turners, will fit

the holes drilled (unless you have the Robot Tuners, then'll you may have to drill holes, but most

don't care for the robot tuners, so that may actually work in your favor.) Certainly, pick up

covers won't devalue anything! As to tonal differences, with or without covers...not much, if

any. I've tried both ways, and didn't notice any "valuable" difference. MAYBE, a slightly lower

volume level, but not substantial...IMHO. Personally, I like covered pickups! But, that's just

Me! [smile]

As to tuning stability! That's almost always the "nut!" NOT, the tuners! Strings, even properly

wound, on the tuner posts, need time to "Stretch," for awhile. Regardless of gauge, they WILL,

eventually, settle down!

So, MOD AWAY! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

your tunning problems seem like they could be the nut for sure.

10 gauge strings should be way more stable then 9 gauge.

If you go back to 10s, trying lubing the nut slots. A cheap household remedy is Vaseline. But you can also get a tube of Big Bends Nut Sauce (Amazon has it) which works very good.

as for the tunner mods, first, check the lubing of the nut, that's probably where you're trouble is starting. It's rarely the hardware.

But if yo must replace go to a place like Stew Mac, they have replacement sets that "should" be drop in replacements.

can't help ya with the pickup cover question.

... If it isn't to affect negatively the value of my guitar, I'd like to change the Vintage Gibson individual 3x3 tuners (the snot green ones) as my guitar doesn't stay tuned very well. I tried the Vintage Reissue Electric Guitar Strings in all 3 available gauges; the 11-50 and the 10-46 made the tuning a royal pain, as the guitar would de-tune after the 1st verse of playing a song. And yes, I do bend and lock the strings when installing new ones. So I tried the 9-42 gauge and the guitar keeps its tuning for about 30 minutes or so of heavy practices. But I hate the sound of the 9-42 (too brite!) and they bend too easily for my playing level.

Josee

Machine heads are seldom the culprits. The fact that the lightest gauge works best likely depends on nut groove widths. Carefully widening them may help with the use of heavier strings.

The detuning during the first few minutes after starting to play may also be affected by temperature or corrosion. New strings of a bandmate of mine go flat, dull and black within ten minutes through sweat, and this is not funny.

Hiya,

I'm thinking of lightly modifying my 2014 SGJ but I'm wondering if those would de-valuate my guitar. Yes or no...?

If it isn't to affect negatively the value of my guitar, I'd like to change the Vintage Gibson individual 3x3 tuners (the snot green ones) as my guitar doesn't stay tuned very well. I tried the Vintage Reissue Electric Guitar Strings in all 3 available gauges; the 11-50 and the 10-46 made the tuning a royal pain, as the guitar would de-tune after the 1st verse of playing a song. And yes, I do bend and lock the strings when installing new ones. So I tried the 9-42 gauge and the guitar keeps its tuning for about 30 minutes or so of heavy practices. But I hate the sound of the 9-42 (too brite!) and they bend too easily for my playing level.

So, I have in mind of buying a 3x3 tuner set that would fit in the actual screw holes. Would the Authentic Kluson Individual Tuner with black (plastic or metal) buttons be acceptable, and will I need to purchase adapter bushings?

Furthermore, I'd like to know if anyone who owns a 2014 SGJ have purchased humbucker R/T pickup covers? If so, what brand and size did you buy -and- does it alter the overall sound of the guitar?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post, and looking forward to your answers. :)

Josee

Do what you want to it. It's not a house. It's a guitar. As for it going out of tune. Try some graphite. Gotoh makes some nice locking tuners that look exactly like the ones on your SGJ. I have a 2013 SJG and was thinking about getting some. But for some crazy reason mine stays in tune really great. Go figure. My least expensive Gibson and it always stays in tune. Also if your strings sound too brite then you might try some pure nickel strings. I use Les Paul Pure Nickles on my Les Paul and my SG 70s Tribute. I love the warmer sound they have with the pure nickels.

Hello!

For the tuning problems I would start looking at the nut like the others said.

I think that I have the same tuners on both my Gibson's and they stay in tune pretty well.

And If you are still looking for pickup covers those may fit:

http://store.gibson.com/neck-humbucker-cover/

But I would measure the spacing between pole screws before ordering them.

My guess is the neck cover would fit both of your pickups but better get sure.

The correct way to measure the spacing is from the center of first pole screw to the center of the sixt.

For neck cover it you should read 49mm and a bit. On the product page they say 50mm don't worry they should fit.

If the bridge cover has the same spacing just buy two neck covers.

If not::

http://store.gibson.com/bridge-humbucker-cover/

Here is a video that shows you how to cover your pickups:

Hiya,

Josee

Do what you want to it. It's not a house. It's a guitar. As for it going out of tune. Try some graphite. Gotoh makes some nice locking tuners that look exactly like the ones on your SGJ. I have a 2013 SJG and was thinking about getting some. But for some crazy reason mine stays in tune really great. Go figure. My least expensive Gibson and it always stays in tune. Also if your strings sound too brite then you might try some pure nickel strings. I use Les Paul Pure Nickles on my Les Paul and my SG 70s Tribute. I love the warmer sound they have with the pure nickels.

+1 to the Gotoh suggestion. Have a look at the SD90 MG-T; it's a locking version of a classic Kluson, matched with the locking mechanism that you'd see in a Grover Rotomatic.

For the nut; Big Bends Nut Sauce on top of a GraphTech nut (part PQL-6010-00 or PQL-6010-AG will fit).

Could go one further and add some graphite saddles to the bridge for some super-slippy movement of the strings as you bend; lubricated at both ends!

Also, having it professionally set up to a particular gauge string will be useful.

Archived