Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Firebird T

Dannyboyee82

Afternoon people. I just pre ordered one of the new 2016 Firebirds.. At that price, who could resist?

I've been trawling hundreds of pages ever since to try find out some clear specs. Some places say it comes with a hard case, others say a gig bag. Most spec sheets say 'traditional' Firebird pickups. Are we to believe that they are putting in actual Firebird pickups or is this just sales jargon for the usual ceramic suspects?

I am trying to see where they are cutting corners in production to price them so low (£849 compared to last year's £1299), a gig bag would be a good option for cutting cost.. But a Firebird in a bag? It doesn't quite sit right with me.

Does anybody have any thoughts or are there any owners here? I know people have them now in the US.. I'm in the UK, my shipment doesn't land until the first week of November. Some of the new Gibson's have landed already, but no Firebirds yet.

Edit: sorry about the spam posting, I did this from my phone and it would not load!

Sweetwater in the U.S. say gig bag and ceramics and they are usually considered reputable among the big retailers. They also say "unusually long delay for delivery" which suggests Gibson are on a winner. This might be the biggest sales year in history for the 'bird if they keep these prices locked in!

• 4 weeks later...

I love the Firebirds and the 2016 looks a bargain. I've been looking at them and noticed the gig bag thing. You can get a hard case for under £80 http://www.andertons.co.uk/hard-cases/pid10522/cid580/epiphone-firebird-hard-case.asp?LGWCODE=10522;56375;6335&gclid=CIeVuvv--MgCFQsCwwoddqEI8w

and I'm always wary of people seeing Gibson on a case because of the theft thing. You could probably get a reduction on the case if you buy it with the guitar and then sell the gigbag. Where in the UK are you? I'm in Birmingham.

Just bought a Gibson 2015 Firebird - got it at a great price and way less that the £1200+ RRP.

It came with the new style gold Gibson case - and beware - this is huge - really long, like that of a bass guitar. Take care when choosing one if they are being sold separately - it's not just marginally bigger than a normal Gibson case - it's several inches longer. Hate to think how long the case for a Thunderbird would be!

Interesting to note comments on the new 2016 model, and the alignment of the pickup parallel to the strings instead of parallel to the face of the instrument. Mine is exactly like the photograph - pickups parallel to the face of the instrument. Pushing them to align them with the strings works while you have your finger pressure on them, when you remove that - they pop back parallel to the guitar body.

In some ways - it's like my first LP - volume control almost non-existent below 6 or 7. That is - no volume at all. Why squeeze the response into only the 7 - 10 range? However, i am still getting use to it.

Alll the comments about them being neck heavy??? If it is - I haven't noticed it!

WGB

Afternoon people. I just pre ordered one of the new 2016 Firebirds.. At that price, who could resist?

I've been trawling hundreds of pages ever since to try find out some clear specs. Some places say it comes with a hard case, others say a gig bag. Most spec sheets say 'traditional' Firebird pickups. Are we to believe that they are putting in actual Firebird pickups or is this just sales jargon for the usual ceramic suspects?

I am trying to see where they are cutting corners in production to price them so low (£849 compared to last year's £1299), a gig bag would be a good option for cutting cost.. But a Firebird in a bag? It doesn't quite sit right with me.

Does anybody have any thoughts or are there any owners here? I know people have them now in the US.. I'm in the UK, my shipment doesn't land until the first week of November. Some of the new Gibson's have landed already, but no Firebirds yet.

Edit: sorry about the spam posting, I did this from my phone and it would not load!

• 1 month later...

Got a 2016 Firebird T a week ago. Played my 1st gig with ig last night.great guitar. Great price.

Hi to everyone. I finally could buy my 2016 T Firebird in Italy a couple of weeks ago. It looks and sounds like a killer guitar to me. I just need to correct two small details. One is the 3 way switch not aligned in a good position when playing. How do you usally set it? Second, more annoying, is the neck pickup not being level with body; a bit like you see in the official pictures on Gibson pages. I heard that I could insert some foam beneath the PUP. Is that correct? Should I stick the foam to the wood or to the bottom of the PUP? What size should this foam be?

Thanks to all of you who will be willing to help. Cheers!

Hi to everyone. I finally could buy my 2016 T Firebird in Italy a couple of weeks ago. It looks and sounds like a killer guitar to me. I just need to correct two small details. One is the 3 way switch not aligned in a good position when playing. How do you usally set it? Second, more annoying, is the neck pickup not being level with body; a bit like you see in the official pictures on Gibson pages. I heard that I could insert some foam beneath the PUP. Is that correct? Should I stick the foam to the wood or to the bottom of the PUP? What size should this foam be?

Thanks to all of you who will be willing to help. Cheers!

I wouldn't let th hd pickup bug you. And I agree about the switch. I took the pick guard off to adjust it. But you cant. There's not enough room with the routing.

I wouldn't let th hd pickup bug you. And I agree about the switch. I took the pick guard off to adjust it. But you cant. There's not enough room with the routing.

Sigh I realized about the routing the day before you wrote.. what do you mean by hd? I also noticed the guitar has some smallish blue caps (they look like cheapish ones) in the control cavity for tones. Is it worth replacing them with proper orange drops?

• 1 month later...

Archived