Gibson Brands Forums

Another Day in the LIfe........

j45nick

Ok, there's an acoustic guitar in here, but I don't know what it is.

I also apologize for the fact that I was unable to extract this video from its associated Masahble context. You are going to need to be patient for it to load, and not give up hope for it to start playing. I think it took about 30 seconds for it to start to play after the page loaded, and I have a very fast connection.

It expands to full screen reasonably well--damn well half-way through--and the sound quality is excellent through the cans.

With that justification in mind, this is a re-master of the original Beatles video of "A Day in the Life", which is an extraordinary bit of musical history any way you look at it. (I feel like I'm teaching a course in pop culture history here.)

The Beatles were early masters of what we now call music videos. Think of the movies "A hard days Night" and "Help", which are both just extended music videos.

The real teaser with this one is nether the video nor the music, but the cameo appearances of a startling range of mid-60's pop/rock/folk icons in the video. Blink, and you will miss them. Em7 will dig this for a single mid-60's folkie reference, but there's something for anyone of a certain age.

Indulge the old man here. I'm trying to recover from a serious flashback I had while watching. And just what is that final chord, and how long does it last?

See you on the other side.....

Edit: I had trouble getting this to play reliably after embedding the link. The window it plays in is a blank black box near the middle of the page: you'll need to scroll down to find it. Someone here more skilled than I at this may be able to extract the video and get it to load properly. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I'll leave it up in case it works for some.

Another day

Thanks for posting that, Nick.

I got it to work ok the 3rd time - the first 2 times were a loop to nowhere and buying their app and then Youtube lost to allcomers and off to a cloud of nothing, turn it all off and do your link again and it worked...

Ignore the app sales pitch and everyone will be ok.

Flashbacks mentioned above - what did everyone first hear the record on? I am fairly sure I first heard it on a friend's crummy little portable record player and later on a relative's huge old bassy phonogram - my little iPad just sounded WAY better than those. Understatement to say the whole world was stunned?

BluesKing777.

Thanks for posting that, Nick.

Flashbacks mentioned above - what did everyone first hear the record on? I am fairly sure I first heard it on a friend's crummy little portable record player and later on a relative's huge old bassy phonogram - my little iPad just sounded WAY better than those. Understatement to say the whole world was stunned?

When I was a kid my sister had a Fischer Price record player that we used to listen to my parents old records on. That was the first exposure I had to the Beatles. I think it was on the first side of the first record of the "Blue" album. I remember trying to figure out what in the world they were talking about in that song. My "flashback" while watching today though was to about 1994 when they showed most of that film on the Beatles Anthology. I was in my early teens then and it aired in November so the only thing I wanted that Christmas was Beatle music. By the next summer I was trying to learn chords so I could start playing those songs I was hearing.

All these remastered promo films are released officially next week on various formats and editions. After watching these for 20-odd years on grainy bootleg VHS and DVD - I look forward to checking these out.

I've got back into vinyl bigtime this year and can thoroughly recommend last years analogue mono remasters vinyl. The best I've heard them ever. Bit of a pain having to put the J160 or Ric 325 down though to change tracks when strummin along though :-)

Archived