Gibson Brands Forums

Full gibson line to be released Tomorrow?

scottpaine_69

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda sad that the traditional lineup gets the lesser grades of wood, does not get mother of pearl inlays. Seems a waste of materials to put it on the "high performance aka 2015 fiasco series".

The 2016 line get mother of pearl on both traditional and HP. The 2015 models had REAL pearl which was part of the reason the price was higher in the 2015 line. As for the HP line, I like it, but I have 3 les pausl and my 2015 Classic is by far my favorite. I like the wider necks. my only concern with the 2016 HP is the way they are doing tthe neck heal. I just think when you take that much meat out of a guitar it looses some tone and sustain. Plus it looks like it would be a weeker joint with way to much potional to break.

my only concern with the 2016 HP is the way they are doing tthe neck heal. I just think when you take that much meat out of a guitar it looses some tone and sustain. Plus it looks like it would be a weeker joint with way to much potional to break.

I think that's a good point, in that part of the "magic" of the LP is that is has a comparatively short neck compared to a lot of other guitars. It only sticks out 14 frets, which is a lot "shorter" than nearly every other electric. That HAS to have an effect on the overall tonality of the guitar.

But, as for weaker or prone to breakage, I think it works the other way around. With the single-cut design of the LP, there is still more meat and wood available than a lot of guitars to support the joint. SG's have a bit of a reputation for being weaker in the heel, but that's a result of the body, not really so much the neck heel. 335's and the like do just fine.

The 2016 line get mother of pearl on both traditional and HP. The 2015 models had REAL pearl which was part of the reason the price was higher in the 2015 line. As for the HP line, I like it, but I have 3 les pausl and my 2015 Classic is by far my favorite. I like the wider necks. my only concern with the 2016 HP is the way they are doing tthe neck heal. I just think when you take that much meat out of a guitar it looses some tone and sustain. Plus it looks like it would be a weeker joint with way to much potional to break.

According to the Gibson website, the traditional series get acrylic inlays, the HP series get mother of pearl.

I would not be too worried about the heel joint on the HP series.

My Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess with piezo Floyd Rose and the hardtail Les Paul Axcess Standard of a bandmate of mine are real Les Paul guitars tonewise. I also don't think the neck joint is some kind of a problem.

My only concern is the top-screwed locking nut on mine. It has to take all the string tension when using the Floyd Rose for dive bombs. This is not that easy even on a straight maple neck, let alone a mahogany neck with an angled headstock. Four of my five FR guitars with maple necks have their locking nuts screwed on with metal screw through the wood - a much better design. I guess a mahogany neck would be too sensitive for that.

I think Scott's onto something with the neck dimensions and the all important TONE.

My Lucille sounds totally different than my 335 and I think it's down to the 50s profile neck on Lucy and the skinny neck on the 335. You'd think the 335 would sound better unplugged but it doesn't.

My Martin HD-28V has a giant neck on it and that guitar sounds great.

A good Firebird will also ring like crazy and that model is all neck with some wings glued onto the sides.

I think the neck has a lot more to do with how a guitar sounds than most people realize.

My only concern is the top-screwed locking nut on mine. It has to take all the string tension when using the Floyd Rose for dive bombs. This is not that easy even on a straight maple neck, let alone a mahogany neck with an angled headstock. Four of my five FR guitars with maple necks have their locking nuts screwed on with metal screw through the wood - a much better design. I guess a mahogany neck would be too sensitive for that.

Technically, the locking nut is under pressure from the tension when you are not doing dive bombs, as dive bombs relieve string pressure. So the locking nut is taking the tension at all other times. I might even wager that the locking nut would relieve some pressure on the neck overall and especially the traditionally weaker area where the neck meets the headstock, but I'd have to research it to know for sure.

Archived