Gibson Brands Forums

Short Vintage Guitar Comparison Test

BluesKing777

In the spirit of the fun guitar tests recently, I just did 2 short fingerpicking tests (about 1 minute)for my new headphones, which are cool mixing and noise cancelling headphones Sennheiser HD6.

So see if you can pick the 1937 Gibson L-0 or the 1944 Martin 0-17.....

Both guitars have Elixir PB Nano 12s, a couple of months old.

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/seethis1

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/seethis2

BluesKing777.

Well, firstly they both sounded great with that old school vintage vibe, but i had a feeling your fingers might have something to do with it. Recording top notch.

I found the first sounded a bit clearer, more articulate, more balanced, and hence I felt this was the Gibson.

The second sample had a bit more warmth, a bit more bass, not as articulate and actually sounded like a Martin.

However i never played either of these models, so mainly going on what Im hearing and what I know about Martins and Gibsons.

Thanks for sharing, really enjoy these little comparisements.

EA

Even though my computer has bad sound, I feel confident the first is the L-o and the second the O-17.

I would be surprised if I was wrong...but surprises are fun.

What makes me so confident, is that what I hear is a good example showing what these guitars SHOULD sound like. Although, the recording of the Martin (or second one rather...what if I am wrong?) doesn't pick up the bass so much. But that could be the computer on my end. And also, the 1st sounds louder than the second.

Having said that, I have to ask if one is louder than the other, or is it the way it was recorded, or if it is a matter of the equipment used being able to pick up on better than the other.

Oh dear, there's a dog hair on your toast!

I mentioned the opinions to the Princess and she suggested just going along and getting along....

But no, truth prevails. [thumbdn]

The first track is my all mahogany 1944 Martin 0-17 and the second track is my 1937 Gibson L-0! [biggrin] [biggrin]

I sat in the same seat in the same spot, as close as I could. They are both quietish guitars that I prefer early morning late at night and surprise of all - handy size playing at the computer desk!

BluesKing777.

The first track is my all mahogany 1944 Martin 0-17 and the second track is my 1937 Gibson L-0! [biggrin] [biggrin]

And there you have it...and to think, I felt a wee bit of a traitor, favoring the second. The preference is real.

Thanks for the taste test, BK!

Archived