Gibson Brands Forums

LP Custom 68 Natural-Good Idea?

gbc151

KSG, thank you, my brother. That was a great compliment. My LP Custom '68RI (see Avatar) is similar to the guitar he writes about, but mine is chambered. According to what Are Nine writes,

"'68RI - guys who own one say they're the best Custom Gibson makes.

Solid body, long tenon, maple cap & 50 Classics...sounds like a great combination to me.

If I ever get another Custom, it'll be a '68RI Silverburst!," - Are Nine

..... it has it's differences. My Custom has '57 Classics and since it is an '07 model, the neck is Pleked. The Grover tuners are fantabulous. I love 'em and recommend them. The long tenon is also a feature on my guitar and the neck on mine is as fat as an anaconda.

Gbc, did you play it yet? I don't doubt you'll be satisfied with it, but play it when you have the chance.

Are Nine' date=' do you have any info on this.

Checked guitar stores and they are all listed as 68 but not a RI.

Please clarify.[/quote']

Info as in referrences? No.

Reissue or "historic reissue" usually refers to reissues of '50s Les Pauls. That's why if you go to MLP.com or LPF.com you'll notice that under the words "Historic District" you'll notice "R2 - R0" Yours is a reissue of the '68 Custom, it's just not a "50s reissue." Either way, who cares? It's a solid (or chambered reissue) and is a great guitar!

You won't find much info about them from a store, it's not even listed on gibson.com...but they are made each year, I believe; just in limited supply.

=P~ The '68 LP Customs are a great bang for the buck. Here is my '68 LP Custom natural finish quilt top:

3236120658_d0c4c1c10d_b.jpg

Hey gromaj, I don't usually like natural finish or quilt tops but yours is out standing... looks more like a thick heavy flame than a quilt... Beautiful!!!

Hey gromaj' date=' I don't usually like natural finish or quilt tops but yours is out standing... looks more like a thick heavy flame than a quilt... Beautiful!!![/quote']

Thanks Dave! In certain light, it takes on an amber hue, but without question, it is a natural finish.

Archived