Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

Gibson Artist

Traded my extra Taylor i acquired cheap and traded it for an Original Fender Blues Deville from the 90s i think, not sure the age?? Its a 4x10 so if anyone can help me identify it a little better id appreciate it. I also got a gem mint condition mim strat in the deal too! This amp has the foot pedal and more power and controls than i know what to do with. I may trade it for a Vox ac15 or Bugera later, but for now ill enjoy it. If any of you knows a serial dater for fender amps i would appreciate more info.

339_zps8mo4hr2n.jpg

340_zpsy8kskdtc.jpg

343_zpscj6zv6ht.jpg

Not sure if serial# info would date it, but I wouldn't know for these era amps. If I remember correctly, there could be some actual dates in places on or in the amp.

What's easier though, is to look at the speakers. The first ones used Eminence, plain ole black with gold labels. Don't know if the tweed was reissued in the Deville, but pretty sure it would have reissue Jensens like the Deluxe reissues.

I personally think the Eminence are a much better speaker than the Italian Jensen's. And a better match for the amp.

Memory might not be so good, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had the blue framed Eminence 10's used in the first Bassman reissues. Again, a better speaker in my opinion than the Italian Jensens reissues, and certainly a better match for the amp.

Also, wondering if the first ones were made in the USA and when production moved to Mexico. I seem to remember that, but not sure if that's truthful.

Not sure if serial# info would date it, but I wouldn't know for these era amps. If I remember correctly, there could be some actual dates in places on or in the amp.

What's easier though, is to look at the speakers. The first ones used Eminence, plain ole black with gold labels. Don't know if the tweed was reissued in the Deville, but pretty sure it would have reissue Jensens like the Deluxe reissues.

I personally think the Eminence are a much better speaker than the Italian Jensen's. And a better match for the amp.

Memory might not be so good, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had the blue framed Eminence 10's used in the first Bassman reissues. Again, a better speaker in my opinion than the Italian Jensens reissues, and certainly a better match for the amp.

Also, wondering if the first ones were made in the USA and when production moved to Mexico. I seem to remember that, but not sure if that's truthful.

It says Made in the usa and here is a picture of the speaksers in the back of the amp. Can you tell which they are? I found one like this on Reverb that had blue and green speakers that were jensens, i believe mine has the Eminence if that is what the gold n black labels are??

12311975_10206449482530215_1161870174_n_zpsfz25bovc.jpg

It says Made in the usa and here is a picture of the speaksers in the back of the amp. Can you tell which they are? I found one like this on Reverb that had blue and green speakers that were jensens, i believe mine has the Eminence if that is what the gold n black labels are??

Yup.

Those speakers, the small badge, the tweed, and "Made in USA" all point to the earliest, original production of these.

Yup.

Those speakers, the small badge, the tweed, and "Made in USA" all point to the earliest, original production of these.

Cool, i guess that makes it slightly more desireable? Thanks for the info, its a nice amp, bit more watts than i need but pretty sweet nonetheless.

If it were me, I'd just buy the Vox AC15 and KEEP this Fender too. You may need an attenuator for this bad boy cuz it'll blow the roof off the house from what I heard with a friends. Also, the Vox & the Fender don't sound anything like each other IMHO. I have an AC15 & a Blues Deluxe Fender (tweed) and love them both. About the only other amp I'm maybe want is a Marshall (it sounds enough different from the other two that it makes sense to have those 3.

That's just my 25 cent worth (due to inflation).

Aster

Sweet! I love Fender amps. I just can't decide which one to get because they are all great.

Deluxe Reverb... there, you're done. [biggrin]

And you can buy a 70s silverface one for the same amount as you can buy the more modern reissues, and to my ears they sound nicer.

Cool, i guess that makes it slightly more desireable? Thanks for the info, its a nice amp, bit more watts than i need but pretty sweet nonetheless.

Slightly. Maybe a lot, but not enough to make it as one would, say, an origonal Blackfaced or Silverfaced.

Personally, I find the origonals like this slightly better, and while I say I like the origonal speakers better, many don't care for them. Too "boring", but I used to swap speakers like shoes, and these really work well for a lot of things I think.

If it were me, I'd just buy the Vox AC15 and KEEP this Fender too. You may need an attenuator for this bad boy cuz it'll blow the roof off the house from what I heard with a friends. Also, the Vox & the Fender don't sound anything like each other IMHO. I have an AC15 & a Blues Deluxe Fender (tweed) and love them both. About the only other amp I'm maybe want is a Marshall (it sounds enough different from the other two that it makes sense to have those 3.

That's just my 25 cent worth (due to inflation).

Aster

Unlike some Marshall types, these don't really need or like loud. Or rather, ain't all that good loud. I think the strength of these is how clean they are, or how they sound without having to push them.

Personally, I think they sound best through the clean channel. While the OD channel does get dirty enough, it's basically the same as using a pedal (the overdrive is made with a chip...same as a pedal).

So in the OD channel, or gain channel, the chip is "on" all the time. So one way of looking at it, is an IMPROVEMENT could be made using the clean channel with a better pedal than the one in the amp.

not a bad thing GA. [thumbup]

if you don't need it you could just sell it on and get 1/4 or so of your debt on the 335 off your back in one hit too.

I upgraded the pictures to my digital camera, took me forever to find the battery charger lol. But as far as selling it goes, i dont think im gonna do that yet [biggrin]

Archived