Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton II Pro - Bad Amazon Review

indiekiduk

So the Sheraton II Pro is now available and just noticed it got a really bad review on Amazon, so bad in fact the purchaser took advantage of Amazon's return policy and returned it, this is not a good sign for Epiphone:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YQ15XKQ?redirect=true&ref_=s9_im_co_g267_i5

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful

Disapointed.

By Terry G on 18 Sept. 2015

Colour Name: Vintage SunburstHand Orientation: Right Verified Purchase

I bought this after hearing it played on several videos and liked the sound. In the 45 years I have played I have never been so disappointed with an instrument. I have an Epiphone Les Paul as well as several other guitars. Epiphone have made nice very playable guitars only fault pickups have been week and normally replaced. I am afraid that after several days with this instrument I would say the same. Plays great although I can not get the action as low as the Les Paul. Frets need levelling and polishing for it to be as playable as it could be. Pickups generally very thin and as bright as my Telecasters and that is with out using the coil taps with the treble backed off to 4. With coil taps just too bright. All in all I was very disappointed with this guitar so I sent it back.

So the Sheraton II Pro is now available and just noticed it got a really bad review on Amazon, so bad in fact the purchaser took advantage of Amazon's return policy and returned it, this is not a good sign for Epiphone:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YQ15XKQ?redirect=true&ref_=s9_im_co_g267_i5

Disapointed.

I bought this after hearing it played on several videos and liked the sound. In the 45 years I have played I have never been so disappointed with an instrument. I have an Epiphone Les Paul as well as several other guitars. Epiphone have made nice very playable guitars only fault pickups have been week and normally replaced. I am afraid that after several days with this instrument I would say the same. Plays great although I can not get the action as low as the Les Paul. Frets need levelling and polishing for it to be as playable as it could be. Pickups generally very thin and as bright as my Telecasters and that is with out using the coil taps with the treble backed off to 4. With coil taps just too bright. All in all I was very disappointed with this guitar so I sent it back.

I wouldn't put too much stock in one bad review from a guy that bought a guitar from Amazon. especially when you don't know what he's playing through or if he actually knows what he's talking about as far as set up knowledge. I would look more at reviews from people that actually review guitars for a living or go to a retailer and play the guitar and not worry that Terry G didn't care for it.

Disapointed.

Yes, I most certainly would not rely on one random review such as it is, indiekiduk

I would rely instead on real Epiphone owners and players. The ones that have kept their Epi guitars after playing and enjoying these instruments.

I've played a couple of Sheratons and they played well and sounded good. I own a '14 Dot that is stellar and I owned a '14 Epi ES339 that played fantastically but unfortunately had a defective trussrod and was returned.

All of my guitars are given a full professional setup, usually including fret leveling and nut filing, and that includes my American Strat and MIM Strat. ALL off the shelf guitars be they inexpensive or higher value instruments actually have enough issues to very easily justify a proper professional first time setup (especially proper neck adjustment, nut filing and fret leveling) to reach their potential. My Dot plays better than my buddy's Gibson Les Paul, it has a better neck and fretboard and the action is on the low side of Gibson factory spec.

IMHO, Sheratons are definitely a good guitar, and like ANY decent brand, one just has to go out and play a few to find the one that feels and sounds good in your hands. [biggrin]

well, I could agree with the fret polishing and leveling. I got a new Sherry Pro II about a month ago, it had about 8 or 9 frets that I had to dressed down, a few spots more so than others and all the frets DID need to be polished right out of the box.

After a few hours worth of work, it really plays excellently.

now I don't know if I agree with his assessment on the pickups, I think they're pretty damn good.

but you can't base the product on one disgruntled costumer, there are hundreds of great reviews for these.

I've played Sheraton's from Japan, Korea, and China, and haven't experienced anything negative,

with any of them. BUT, my dealer does a good basic "set-up" out of the box, and BEFORE they

go out to the sales floor. After you purchase ANY guitar, from them, they'll do another, more

personal preference "tweak" to their setups, so it plays exactly like you want it to, as part

of the purchase/deal. So...any problems, unless construction, or finish, are addressed prior

to display. [thumbup] Guitars, with more serious "issues," are simply returned to the factory,

or distributor, and never put out of sale! =D>

CB

yea, that's the thing with buying locally for sure CB.

But, if you're at all handy, some fret dressing aint no big thing.

After I did that to mine, it plays great. I've got the action riding right on the wires. as good as any of my USA Gibbies.

Not being rude to "Terry G" (the original reviewer, whoever he is), but I don't understand leaving a bad review after.....

All in all I was very disappointed with this guitar so I sent it back.

When you buy a guitar online you take a chance....the safety net is the option to return it (which he seems to have taken advantage of).

I only really leave bad reviews for something, if I end up stuck with something I don't want and can't return it (as with the vacuum cleaner which fell apart a few days after the warranty expired). Leaving a bad review after you're been allowed to return the item? That's like leaving a bad review for a restaurant after the manager tore up your check because the food or service was bad, imho.

some people will complain if you try to hang them with a brand new rope!! :)

Clearly, vintage ropes are better, having better fit and finish. The last new rope I got had to have its cords dressed and filed, and the knots were too thin. Nothing like my '58 rope that BB King used to hang some second rate blues player.........

He fell from a bad batch that's the risk of buying online ...

Mine was in 2003 and I did not have these worries, I bought and tested shop have to be a standard for the purchase of instrument.

It is a natural finish that Sublime! and it sounds great .

By price / quality a fact hardly better.

other than the frets needing leveling and polished; he's pretty much comparing it to a LP and a tele. it's not really a ding on Epiphone. he just didn't like the guitar. should have ended the review with "the Sheraton II Pro was not what I was looking for so I sent it back."

Clearly, vintage ropes are better, having better fit and finish. The last new rope I got had to have its cords dressed and filed, and the knots were too thin. Nothing like my '58 rope that BB King used to hang some second rate blues player.........

this cracked me up! thx Jeff

[thumbup]

Archived