Gibson Brands Forums

Use of snake humidifier that came fron Gibson with my AJ

ajay

I've never used the snake humidifier that came with my guitar. A: Does the soundhole cap mar the finish on the top? B: Does the humidifier come into contact with the wood when installed? and C: Just how are you supposed to fill this thing and properly use it? I do have a soap dish with sponges up by the headstock, but as cold and dry as it is I want some extra protection. THANKS!

Hey, AJ.. There are several postrings here on your question. One, I believe as recent as a month or two ago. If you're interested in a broader discussion on humidifying, as opposed to just getting directions on working with Jake the Snake - look 'em up! G'Luck.

Ajay,

I use mine. I prefer them. I have never had a problem. Let it fill itself slowly in a wash basin and then sit it on a towel to drain to the point it is holding the water and staying dry on the outside.

You should also squeeze the excess water out of it before you put it in the guitar. You can also tie a peice of string to it and actually let it sit inside the guitar with the string out side to fish it out with. If your humidity is like our house in winter (20%) check that sucker every 4 days. They dry out quick.

suburude

Use distilled - not tap - water. Otherwise' date=' you may find mold growing in your guitar[/quote']

Geelinus,

Good point, but I have never had that problem with a snake, only the plastic 'tween string types. Still, you're right, never hurts to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...
I never reveived a humidifier with my AJ... Was I supposed to? Where can I get the Gibson issed piece? Thx!

How old is your AJ? Did you get the little brochure that was supposed to be included with the guitar? For the last few years, it's said that they no longer include humidifiers, because humidification requirements vary so much by geographic location, and that you should find out what you need (and get it) from your local dealer. Including a Gibson-branded humidifier was a relatively short-lived phenomenon.

-- Bob R

I live in MN and like much of the midwest, Canada and other areas, cold weather and furnaces running keep the Relative Humidity in my house in the very low 20% range during much of the year. Only in the summer can I leave my guitars out when my house ranges in the 45%-50% range. I have made several case humidifiers very cheaply (I am a very cheap kind of guy... =P~ ) by buying some Glad plastic containers and a package of sponges. I cut the sponges and typically keep two pieces in each container. I punch holes in the lid of the Glad container, wet and squeeze out the sponge and put 2 in each case. One by the neck heel and one under the headstock. I also keep a dampit or another humidifier in the soundhole of each of the guitars I have. When I check my cases periodically, the RH is right around 45% which is fine for them. Once each week I re-wet the sponges in the Glad containers and about every other day I re-wet the dampit snake humidifiers.

Here is a couple shots of my homemade humidifiers and where I put them. (They never come into contact with the wood in my Gibson case by the way.) I have to be a little more creative with my Taylor cases as they are much more snug. I will use a baggie with holes cut in it instead of the Glad containers and keep sponges in there in the same locations. I also use regular tap water and have never had any mold problems in several years of doing this.

PICT4570.jpg

PICT4569.jpg

PICT4568.jpg

PICT4567.jpg

Archived