Gibson Brands Forums

canadian vs usa price j45 standard

jvi

our dollar is 25% less so it seems odd that usa price is 2399 and ours is 2499 cdn , people close to the border could possibly save by visiting...we dont bite-we are polite :^o

so the advertised price is not the price at all, which makes it seem like an ad should read something like : " gibson j 45 $2399- but not really " which is why I asked the original question j

Here in the Us the list for a J-45 is $3120. Since many stores will sell a new Gibson at 40% off list, that becomes $1872.

Current exchange rate: 1.00 US = 1.30 CAN.

the U.S List which you show at 3120 . would be todays canadian selling price at long and Mc Quade in canada approx selling out the door at (3120 CDN) plus tax.. so the canadian List price would be like 4199.99

we get bent over a barrel up here on this stuff..

so if you can find a U.S dealer willing to work with you.. which is slim to none.. you might have to find a Nice cheap used one..

So what I am getting from this, is the value of the Gibson is pretty stable, but the Canadian dollar isn't.

Hey, the American dollar ain't that stable either. That's why OUR price keeps going up.

But good news is, arch-tops are still down.

this pricing is like a foriegn language when you have different numbers like list price ,map price and dealer discressions,let alone currency fluctuations , however at our long and mcquade the regular ol j45 has been 2499 for quite a while, I got mine early January and had watched the price for what seemed like a long time. still hasnt changed.Used to be gibson prices were all over the MAP (pun intended ) then fender went beserk and usa standards went up till now they now are "out of reach " at 1799, 4 years ago I paid 999 and got a 100 rebate - notice a 1799 strat is out of reach but a 2499 giibby isnt- .Up here we are just getting competition for gibson sales from new sources as long and mcquade had sole rights for decades, I mean (soul rights for decades) mine anyway) I was looking at all the selection south of here and thought it would be nice to just see a price and know thats what Id pay

Our price on a new J45 Standard at Long & McQuade is currently $2499. This price has been in effect since Feb. 18, 2016. L&M is the official distributor for Gibson in Canada. So all Gibson guitars come through our main office in Pickering Ontario whether they will be sold by Long & McQuade or any other Gibson dealer in Canada. Our policy is to match or beat any price for the exact same item (must include landed costs, dollar conversion, shipping, duty etc. on the matched item of course).

So even if you purchase your Gibson from a competitor, the guitar will have come through our quality control check in Pickering.

as a long term customer of long and mcquade canada, Id like to say they are the best retailer Ive ever shopped at. Ive had a chance to own most of the greatest fender, martins and gibsons, amps, and "off" brands thru great financing options and cash, Ive rented some killer high end gits,Ive been able to return stuff and get whatever I wanted ordered in and will say again the victoria store has been,for me, [thumbup] for over 20 years a great place to play. The history of this canadian store is amazing and continues to this day.I commend the family that started it all and continues the tradition.

I dont usually plug retailers but they have put more instruments in peoples hands than any other place I know JVI

Our price on a new J45 Standard at Long & McQuade is currently $2499. This price has been in effect since Feb. 18, 2016. L&M is the official distributor for Gibson in Canada. So all Gibson guitars come through our main office in Pickering Ontario whether they will be sold by Long & McQuade or any other Gibson dealer in Canada. Our policy is to match or beat any price for the exact same item (must include landed costs, dollar conversion, shipping, duty etc. on the matched item of course).

So even if you purchase your Gibson from a competitor, the guitar will have come through our quality control check in Pickering.

Just checking.. U.S list on a standard j45

Gibson Acoustic

J-45 Standard

3 Comments

$2,199

canadian selling at 2499..

The 2016 J45 is much pricier than the 2015. My little history up here is Canada over the last few months.

Picked up a 2015 J45 from L$M in December, think it was 2399 plus tax

Then picked up a discounted 2014 TVJ45 in January to replace the J45 for about 3305 plus tax

Mid January (18th)wasn't to happy with that J45TV and ordered another off the L$M website to compare at 3400 plus tax.

The next day (19th) ordered a LG american eagle for 2449 plus tax.

Really liked the TVJ45 that I picked up on the 18th and kept that one.

Return the LG on the 25th of January and the Price had jumped 200 bucks from the week before. I was looking at a L-00 which was 2799 on the 25th of January and then when I went into L$M to try it out and replace the LG1 it went up to 2999. They still gave me the L-00 at the previous price of 2799.

It seems around the last week of January of 2016 L$M bumped up their prices by 200 bucks on most models.

I was searching on the L$M site by dollar figures that weekend and I noticed 3 in the 1000-2000 range then when I went back on the monday their was only 1 listed at 1000-2000 model.

Guessing they have purchased previous stock when the canadian dollar was better than what is what when they purchased their 2016 stock.

Anyways In jJanuary I ended up with a 2016 L-00 and a 2014 J45TV. Cherish them both but I think I should have gone with a Red Spruce L-00, I can't seem to put that L-00 down, Just love it!!

The combination of large increases in Gibson prices and the fall of the Canadian dollar has had us doing price changes over and over since last September. Just so you know, it isn't just Gibson... we've been watching the prices shoot up for Fender, Taylor, PRS.. you name any brand made in the US. Canadian products like Godin, Simon & Patrick et al... haven't seen quite the huge hikes. It all makes sense when you know that just a few weeks ago the Canadian dollar was $0.68 US (today it is more like $0.76). This has an effect on our pricing even though it is continually surprising to our Canadian customers.

PS: I just want to add a note here, in case I get anyone mad at me. As of today, I no longer work at Long & McQuade. I have retired from being a salesperson for two years at L&M. I have enjoyed every moment but now I get to play and record music full time and go in to L&M as a customer again. Wonderful place to work, great people and a great organization. The philosophy truly is "the customer comes first". (now that I'm not longer affiliated with them, I can sing their praises as my own personal opinion. :D

The combination of large increases in Gibson prices and the fall of the Canadian dollar has had us doing price changes over and over since last September. Just so you know, it isn't just Gibson... we've been watching the prices shoot up for Fender, Taylor, PRS.. you name any brand made in the US. Canadian products like Godin, Simon & Patrick et al... haven't seen quite the huge hikes. It all makes sense when you know that just a few weeks ago the Canadian dollar was $0.68 US (today it is more like $0.76). This has an effect on our pricing even though it is continually surprising to our Canadian customers.

PS: I just want to add a note here, in case I get anyone mad at me. As of today, I no longer work at Long & McQuade. I have retired from being a salesperson for two years at L&M. I have enjoyed every moment but now I get to play and record music full time and go in to L&M as a customer again. Wonderful place to work, great people and a great organization. The philosophy truly is "the customer comes first". (now that I'm not longer affiliated with them, I can sing their praises as my own personal opinion. :D

Hi... what? why? its been a pleasure talking to you in the store.. and you are right. the dollar does play havoc on pricing....

Im curious what a j 45 standard is selling for in the usa in usa funds, here in canada they go for 2499 canadian, on line info seems to be all over the map thanks j

Google tells me that C$2499 = US$1920. That's about 13% lower than the "going" price at GC for US$2199 (which is $200 cheaper than Sweetwater, et al.)

Thing is, the price at these bigger US stores is generally somewhat negotiable. I get 15% off coupons emailed from GC all the time. (They may claim Gibsons are excluded - I don't know.)

At any rate, it looks like the "end" price is pretty comparable between the countries.

Hi... what? why? its been a pleasure talking to you in the store.. and you are right. the dollar does play havoc on pricing....

LOL @ Terry. Because I can! :) Perhaps I'll join the Saturday morning browsing group?

Just so you know, it isn't just Gibson... we've been watching the prices shoot up for Fender, Taylor, PRS.. you name any brand made in the US.

Little note from here in the US: prices on everything seems to be going up, not just guitars.

It's hard to say what is exactly going on or where it's going. I suppose some may know but I don't.

In other words, going to the supermarket is more expensive too, seems about that same as what we are seeing in price increases for Gibson.

everything but wages going up,, seems odd that the stock markets are higher than ever but the "word" of the day seems to be recession, a million just aint what it used to be, average home in Vancouver bc 1.2 million single family, ford pick up 50 g, so I guess a gibson is still "affordable....but not to as many as it should be

Archived