Gibson Brands Forums

Just wrecked a set of DR Sunbeams

62burst

Slipping not really much of a concern... strings seem to stretch with age, rather than slip from their winding on the tuner post. If they did slip, it would be a problem using the Taylor method, since it allows for having such a minimal amount of windings on the post. As mentioned earlier, the main advantage (besides a clean install, and the "slots" on a slot head guitar don't get as beat up) is that the cutters don't have to get anywhere near the headstock, and a couple of sets can be installed in a timely manner.

Lesson learned: when installing round core strings, this method can still be used, but the cut point will be marked with a little masking tape, which easily passes through the hole in the capstan, tune to pitch, then cut.

*UPDATE* :

Happy Ending! Polite emails were sent to both the online seller, and to DR Strings. The seller kindly offered to send out the low E which came unwound upon cutting, and included the 3rd string as well, since they are in the same envelope (less paper use with 3 packs of 2). And surprisingly, DR replied within 15 minutes, apologized for the situation, and, although there was not much interest in placing a more visible note about pre-cutting round core strings prior to installation on the outside of the packaging, they graciously offered to send out a new set of strings. The new Sunbeams arrived today, and DR also included a free set of their new "Veritas" strings to try out as well. The Veritas strings are a hex core, designed to be a non-coated, longer lasting string, with more emphasis on the (polished) purity of the core. Anyone try them yet? Here's a blurb: link.

[The new Sunbeams arrived today, and DR also included a free set of their new "Veritas" strings to try out as well. The Veritas strings are a hex core, designed to be a non-coated, longer lasting string, with more emphasis on the (polished) purity of the core. Anyone try them yet? Here's a blurb: link.

[/size]

I saw that new string, but because it is wound on a hex core (so that the outer windings lock onto the core, avoiding the problem you have with the Sunbeams), my concern is that the new strings will not be a flexible as the Sunbeams. That flexibility is one of the things I really like about Sunbeams, in addition to their warm, long-lasting tone with great sustain.

. That flexibility is one of the things I really like about Sunbeams, in addition to their warm, long-lasting tone with great sustain.

Couldnt agree more Nick. They are also the only strings Ive come across which sound fabulous on every single guitar Ive tried them on, rosewood, maple or mahogany.

The Pyramids are great for mahgoany, a bit dark for rosewood but make the maple J=150 sound dead.

They are most probably the best strings Ive come across overall.

I have never tried DR strings, but the looser feel of Sunbeams that some of you describe sounds interesting. I have a J-45 Custom that feels a little stiff, so I may give them a try. I have been looking online for information about Sunbeam string tension, but can't find anything. Does anyone know how their string load compares to hex core PB's sold by other major brands?

On the other hand i dont give a stuff about pickguard placement, unlike a few others here.

You guys are like wine tasters

The slight difference in one strings to the next I've forgot about by the time they're fitted !

I have never tried DR strings, but the looser feel of Sunbeams that some of you describe sounds interesting. I have a J-45 Custom that feels a little stiff, so I may give them a try. I have been looking online for information about Sunbeam string tension, but can't find anything. Does anyone know how their string load compares to hex core PB's sold by other major brands?

I old describe the round-core strings as having less tension than hex core strings the Sunbeams are a dynomite string to try on your J-45.

Don't know why this is called the "Taylor method"...guitars have been strung up this way long before anyone heard of Taylor or made a video.

Anyway, when a string has to be pre-cut, why not just do a pre-bend on one end before you cut it?

Don't know why this is called the "Taylor method"...guitars have been strung up this way long before anyone heard of Taylor or made a video.

Anyway, when a string has to be pre-cut, why not just do a pre-bend on one end before you cut it?

True enough, Mr. S. 'Suppose referring to it as "the Taylor method" was just a matter of convenience- using 2 words, rather than describing it each time... 'Didn't take the idea of using the "T" word in these parts lightly, you know.

Update #2:

Installed the replacement string from the set sent by DR Music, not pre-cutting at all, but marking the cut point with sliver of masking tape around the string. New wrinkle: replacement string was a dud. Never cut. Took it up to pitch and I've heard rubber bands with less muted tone. Fortunately, the eBay seller had also provided a replacement string, so there was a spare . After checking, as always, that the ball end of the string was correctly seated, dud came out (to be sent back to DR), and the seller's string went in. Up to pitch, and the old LG-2 sounds happy again. Didn't detect a change in flexibility, as much as being able to hear the great woody sound the LG has, with restored clear tone.

Looking forward to taking another chance with the Sunbeams to hear alongside the DR Veritas hex core that were included with the replacement set... they'll be going on two almost identical contemporary J-45's.

Archived