Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Gibson Proogressive J-45

BigDawg007

I saw where Gibson has the Progressive J-45 featuring a Titanium saddle. Anybody have any experience with a titanium saddle. Not interested in buying one, I am just curious. Also the price is about $1K more that na standard J-45.

Combining Gibson's rich history of hand-built acoustics with modern innovations, the J-45 Progressive features acoustic improvements to complement progressive styles. This includes Gibson G FORCE tuners for quick access to standard and alternate tunings which eliminates the need for multiple guitars in different tunings. Titanium tune-o-matic saddle offer fast-playing string action and easy-to-adjust string height for progressive guitar techniques. Increased note-to-note sustain and improved acoustic intonation for the advanced progressive performer. The excellent acoustic sound reproduction of the J-45 Progressive is provided by an award-winning L.R. Baggs Lyric pickup system which has a mic pickup for amplified modern percussive playing.

BigDawg007

I saw where Gibson has the Progressive J-45 featuring a Titanium saddle. Anybody have any experience with a titanium saddle. Not interested in buying one, I am just curious. Also the price is about $1K more that na standard J-45.

Combining Gibson's rich history of hand-built acoustics with modern innovations, the J-45 Progressive features acoustic improvements to complement progressive styles. This includes Gibson G FORCE tuners for quick access to standard and alternate tunings which eliminates the need for multiple guitars in different tunings. Titanium tune-o-matic saddle offer fast-playing string action and easy-to-adjust string height for progressive guitar techniques. Increased note-to-note sustain and improved acoustic intonation for the advanced progressive performer. The excellent acoustic sound reproduction of the J-45 Progressive is provided by an award-winning L.R. Baggs Lyric pickup system which has a mic pickup for amplified modern percussive playing.

BigDawg007

Gibson has no one working for them that remembers the company history or they would not think they invented the adjustable bridge last year. People spend hundreds of dollars replacing the tone sucking abominations from the past. They have tried rosewood and ebony adjustable saddles as well as metal and even ceramic. None of them were any good. None.

If anyone would like the guitar they are describing they just need to buy a Les Paul. They can get all of the benefits they so glowingly describe without ruining a perfectly good J-45.

I don't know of anyone on this forum that has bought one. I would be willing to bet that Taylor or Martin will never come out with such a Frankenstein.

If Gibson thinks so much of the Progressive they should have made a "New" model. Maybe a thinline with a cut-away? Some things should be sacred and the J-45 is one of them. I guess this is what we get when Gibson has no Luthier on staff.

Gibson has no one working for them that remembers the company history or they would not think they invented the adjustable bridge last year. People spend hundreds of dollars replacing the tone sucking abominations from the past. They have tried rosewood and ebony adjustable saddles as well as metal and even ceramic. None of them were any good. None.

If anyone would like the guitar they are describing they just need to buy a Les Paul. They can get all of the benefits they so glowingly describe without ruining a perfectly good J-45.

I don't know of anyone on this forum that has bought one. I would be willing to bet that Taylor or Martin will never come out with such a Frankenstein.

If Gibson thinks so much of the Progressive they should have made a "New" model. Maybe a thinline with a cut-away? Some things should be sacred and the J-45 is one of them. I guess this is what we get when Gibson has no Luthier on staff.

That is what I though Hogeye. How would you adjust a titanium saddle anyways? Its just odd. There is no way that guitar is work $1K more. Its just crazy. Very weird. Odd. Never seen this. I honestly thought it was a mistake!!!!

A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WOULD SMELL AS ... RANCID

One of the least appreciated words in modern culture - "Progressive'' evokes a sense of deprived politicians attempting to perform human engineering by means of brainwashing.

Putting robot tuners on a guitar is the first step. Next. Bozeman will be producing Guitar Hero clones.

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with the J-45 exploitation in general? Seems that any slope shoulder, short scale 6 string, regardless of appointments and wood used for the back and rims can be a J-45 by decree. I don't object to bling, alternative lumber, or a variety of finishes - but, c'mon - how difficult is it to assign real model numbers? Maybe we should all start thinking of the Southern Jumbo as a J-45SPIBFFPISB (split parallelogram inlaid bound fretboard fancy peghead inlay sunburst). Isn't that better?

Can't say I agree entirely about the adj saddles because I've changed enough of them out with no discernible results to say none of them are any good. Generally, however, changing them doesn't do any harm. If there's an area where I differ from most folks it's my bad attitude about having some kind of electronics installed in nearly everything. Necessary for some players? Sure, but don't assume everyone wants to buy a new guitar with an add-on. If I need it, I'll install it or find an instrument like the ES-125 that's meant to be plugged in. As an available option, no problem, but definitely not as a standard feature.

I see some appeal in having six separate saddles, each individually adjustable for intonation and height. Keep in mind that many companies make saddles to fit the tune-o-matic bridge. Graphtech makes tusq saddles for that bridge. The saddles swap out easily and are available in a variety of heights.

I'll refrain from reacting like a knee-jerk Luddite and reserve judgment until I get the chance to actually play one.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived