Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery serial numbers

sparquelito

As for someone faking a sales receipt so they can come claim your guitar because you let the world know your SN... has this ever happened in the history of....... forever?....Ever?

You bring up a good point.

You know, I've never shared a serial number online. I've never had a need to but I probably wouldn't post a full one just in case. Perhaps I have a crazy ex stalking me online and would try to screw me over. Who knows. Call me paranoid, but I would rather not.

Assuming the rest of the guitar was a very very good counterfeit, I'm pretty sure I could just make up a Gibson SN that would fool most people with out having to actually copy one.

As for someone faking a sales receipt so they can come claim your guitar because you let the world know your SN... has this ever happened in the history of....... forever?....Ever?

Thank god the world isn't as evil as the inter-webs would have us think it is. [scared]

You bring up a good point.

You know, I've never shared a serial number online. I've never had a need to but I probably wouldn't post a full one just in case. Perhaps I have a crazy ex stalking me online and would try to screw me over. Who knows. Call me paranoid, but I would rather not.

Big Brother keep your hands off my Gibson. they're watching ...

Guest Farnsbarns

I regularly post my serial number as a comedic response to "what is the best les Paul?". It's 81410. The are at least 3 other 58 reissues with that serial, the original 58 bearing that number was almost certainly a gold top (gold tops either side in a list of known 58-60 standards). All that aside, I accept entirely that others may not want to and I can think of a number of situations in which it could end badly, however unlikely. One of the reasons is that someone might then come along and declare my guitar a fake out of hand, then when I come to sell it buyers Google the serial and find the fake declaration.

Yeah - There's 15,285 guitars with pix of the backs of their headstocks on the Sweetwater site. Here's a pic of the serial number on the back of my Les Paul. I just showed the pic and now I'm scared to death. [crying]

<Pic snip>

Avoiding sharing serial numbers seems silly now in the light of web retailers selling by serial number and photos. But that wasn't always the case. The standard complaints about buying from a web retailer was 'not trying before buying' and "stock advertising pics" not of the individual guitar of choice - a crap shoot for appearance. Now there's several web retailers selling by serial number and/or photos of a specific guitar - like Sweetwater, The Music Zoo, Wildwood Guitars, Rainbow Guitars, etc. . BUT ... I still wouldn't share my serial/s - I'm right where Farns is on it.

This weekend I picked up a pretty cool book that contains chords and melody lines to a bunch of jazz standards. I told a friend about it, and he asked me if I could give him the book's ISBN number. I looked for it, and that's when I noticed -

It's a FAKE book!

(rimshot) [flapper]

This weekend I picked up a pretty cool book that contains chords and melody lines to a bunch of jazz standards. I told a friend about it, and he asked me if I could give him the book's ISBN number. I looked for it, and that's when I noticed -

It's a FAKE book!

(rimshot) [flapper]

Good Lord is there no end to the lengths "these people" will go to ?

I regularly post my serial number as a comedic response to "what is the best les Paul?". It's 81410...

And it's comedic because, as we all know, 0 5449 is the best Les Paul. Well, one of the '0 5449's is.....and I know just which one.

More seriously;

I don't have any reluctance in posting images of my guitars and their serial numbers - I've done it here many dozens of times - but if others feel like they'd be more comfortable in hiding a digit or two then I'm not going to belittle or ridicule them for that. What would be the point in making someone look like an idiot just because they don't share "our" faith in 'The System'?

Pip.

Archived