Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (Non-Gibson Content)

Bozz

I have been on the hunt for small body guitar for a while now. I've been thinking L-00, but have had zero luck trying to find a decent one in my area. There is no longer a Gibson dealer here in Oregon and the closest is at least 8 hours away. I am reluctant to purchase online without ever having handled one. A couple of days ago, I was in a local shop that sells, Martin, Taylor, Collings, etc, etc, and I ran across a Collings 001 A. It is a gorgeous little 00 with Mahogany back and sides and an Adi top. I spent an hour with it that day, then went back again yesterday and spent another hour, or two with it before I finally brought it home. It is a beautiful guitar with a dry, woody, vintage sound that is really cool. It was pretty shocking to me to hear the amount of sound that comes out of that little body. Anyway, I know this is a Gibson board so I'll quit. A pic is attached.

IMG_5259_zpstlxa67ww.jpg

There is no longer a Gibson dealer here in Oregon and the closest is at least 8 hours away.

Well, actually there are the three Guitar Centers in Portland, as well as GCs in Salem, Eugene, and Medford.

Yes, the variety of their stock is rather limited, but you could easily order other Gibson models online from GC, and do an in-store return if you didn't like the item. Pretty much a no risk option.

I well remember the days (pre-2001), when there were quite a few Gibson dealers in Oregon (GC didn't carry Gibsons at the time). The story of Gibson's marketing shift after 2001, which left many loyal dealers out of the loop, is rather messy. As a bit of a coincidence, it just so happens that tonight I've been playing the 2000 J-100xtra I purchase new from one of those stores - a mom & pop in Beaverton. The store is still in operation, but they haven't carried Gibsons since the shift to big-box & online exclusivity occurred.

Well, actually there are the three Guitar Centers in Portland, as well as GCs in Salem, Eugene, and Medford.

Yes, we do have Guitar Centers. I was in the local GC earlier this week. They had a J15 and J45. Not really the inventory I think of when I think "Gibson dealer". Nice kids work there, and they are friendly and helpful, but they have little Gibson knowledge.

Archived