Gibson Brands Forums

A Night At The Opera.....

Murph

My daughter sings, and is into Opera and Classical stuff and we went to St Louis a few weeks ago and saw La Boheme.

It was obviously in English and I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. Very good performance.

It was my first Opera but I think I'm hooked.

Anybody else here been to one / many ?

Does Mamma Mia count? Saw a production in Vegas, 3rd row, and was BLOWN AWAY. Compared to the main chick vocalist, ABBA's voices are downright thin. Man, this chick had a voice!

"Mamma mia" doesn't count ;-) This is another coup of tea.

Opera is for performers with strong voices. I've been fortunate enough to see three in the last 6-7 years, thanks to our daughter. Speaking for myself, I believe if you actually go to one professional opera, you'll want to go to another. I like songs that tell stories and operas are human stories. The performers tend to be very professional and their voices are simply on a different level from what most of us are used to hearing with even our favorite artists. These folks definitely know how to project their voices. The comparison with ABBA is humorous and true. Still, for me to listen to an opera, I have to be there seeing it. Don't enjoy it as much if I'm only hearing some great vocals. I kind of need the whole scene (the stage scenery, the costumes, the characters, and of course the voices).

Archived