Gibson Brands Forums

The Hour Glass

Lars68

I think I managed to improve the singing pitch and general flow of my new song a little bit more. I'm very pleased with the mood and feel of the song, and it is not often I can say that about one of my new songs. I also like the starts and stops, which I think adds to the mood I was after. Overall, I'm very happy with this one and glad I stayed with it.

Lars

I think I managed to improve the singing pitch and general flow of my new song a little bit more. I'm very pleased with the mood and feel of the song, and it is not often I can say that about one of my new songs. I also like the starts and stops, which I think adds to the mood I was after. Overall, I'm very happy with this one and glad I stayed with it!

Lars

Yeah, great job Lars, I enjoyed this one. It's got a dark, mysterious feel to it. You're right, pitch was solid, and the guitar part sounds great. What kind of guitar did you use?

Yeah, great job Lars, I enjoyed this one. It's got a dark, mysterious feel to it. You're right, pitch was solid, and the guitar part sounds great. What kind of guitar did you use?

I appreciate the kind words, Avery. The guitar is a Martin D-28 Marquis. I have written and recorded ten songs as of now, and it is an even 50/50 between Martin and Gibson. I like to use a Martin dread for the darker, palm muted, chords I play for my more "depressing" minor key songs. When I want a brighter, dryer, snappier tone, I reach for a Gibson. The song I did before this one, Sweetheart Caroline, suited the Gibson SJ perfectly. I'm very fortunate to be able to use different guitars for different song.

Lars

Guitar parts are great. But pitch is not spot on

Don't think it's gonna help in the long run to say it is

Avery , you're a gent . Hope I'm not offending

No worries friends, I know very well that pitch is not perfect, just better than previously. I'm afraid that when it comes to posting songs with vocals on this forum, where talented singers seem to pop up in most every thread, my shakey efforts can only be compared to my previous shakey efforts [biggrin] I think Avery knows this is the case, too. He is just too kind to admit it...

Lars

Yeah, no worries Grunt.

Lars, I wrote my comment with only having listened to the first 1:30 of the song. I thought and still think that the singing and pitch were good there. I wasn't giving a false compliment.

I do hear some pitch issues the second time you do the chorus from 2:00-2:14. It's sharp. The first time you do that part before the one minute mark it was good.

But anyway, I still enjoyed it, because even if you go off, you are on for a majority of the time. (Just my take, from someone without any formal training, but I think I have a decent ear.)

I like the new title you gave this song; I think it captures the spirit and mood really well.

Yes, agree with BBG, guitars tone and playing sounds very good, provides a real foundation for the melody and playing is smooth throughout. I thought you voice was richer than before, with more character, but pitch issues are still there, especialy in second half of the song. Its not so much there are many obvious examples where a particular note was clearly of key, but i feel you generally sing too flat, but are probably not realising it. I remember i had the same problem, still do actually.

The only way to solve that is strengthening the vocal muscles through scale exercises, 5 notes, octave, octave and one half, right across from your lowest to highest register. That will make the chords stronger and the memory will remember the positions of the notes.

Frank Sinatra was a master at singing a little "off pitch." He'd do it intentionally in order to keep the listener listening by letting them hear something just a little bit different at times. So, the answer to the "off pitch" problem is simple. Just sing like Sinatra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6gBw-tK82E

You reckon frank was doing it on purpose ?

Or just such a character and enigma that we forgave him for it ?

There's something charming about a man who is singing and isn't the best singer in the world , but makes us believe that he HAS to let the song out , that overrides any shortcomings .

But get the balance wrong and you just sound rubbish .

Plus , we all know , that frank could sing.

Dylan put to bed any notion that he had a rubbish voice by occasionally singing as good as anyone else , but used his 'dodgy' voice to make him seem more vulnerable or human ...:

I personally would rather hear a man singing slightly less than perfect and feel he meant it than hear a man who sings like an angel and is just singing a song and worrying more about his notes than the words

But , like I say , Dylans not for everyone . And nor is Roy Orbison ..:.

Choose your songs and style wisely .

It's all smoke n mirrors

Interesting comments about Sinatra and Dylan. I have to admit that for me personally the style of Sinatra does not appeal to me that much. I do understand how much skill, practice and talent it takes to deliver the My Way performance above, but it just does not grab my soul. The only "crooner style" singer to ever mean something to me is linked below. This is a great song and a marvelous performance (even with the shirt trick).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=18GrFywPkXE

The footage is a little shakey, but the sound is great.

With that said, I do like the singing style of Dylan, and I think The Ballad of Hollies Brown alone is worth a Nobel Price. Perfection is not always necessary, or even a good thing.

As for my own singing, I would love to be just on the right side of that pitch balance BBG talks about. Right now, I know I'm not, but I try to write songs that mean something to me, and hope that maybe one day I can sing them just well enough so that the shortcomings in my singing won't be a distraction from the songs themselves. I tend to let my own songs down by not being able to sing them properly. In one way that hurts me a little, because I haven't really heard my songs at their full potential. The flip side of that is much more positive, though, as I gradually learn to sing better, I can revisit my songs and do them over and hear them again. Learning is a slow gradual process, and I don't expect any miracles falling from the sky anytime soon. Instead, I plan to enjoy the ride, and be happy for this great hobby and use whatever abilities/disabilities I have at my disposal.

By the way, thanks for listening everyone and talking the time to comment and helping me along!

Lars

Archived