Gibson Brands Forums

Oh Man....

daveinspain

This is crap... Here I am playing my ES 339 making some good progress on a tune and I notice that one of my tone knobs is loose. Actually i noticed it a while ago but now it seemed worse so I decided to take a good look at it. When I pulled the knob off the shaft I find paper wrapped around the shaft and notice that the inside plastic that goes over the shaft is cracked. So either at Gibson or Guitar Center, where I bought the guitar, some one stuck a bit of paper around the shaft to try to make up for the looseness caused by the crack. How lame is that? I bought the guitar new and I have never had the knobs off so I know I didn't do the botch job knob fix... Makes me mad, I mean how much trouble would it have been to stick a new knob on it. How much does a black reflector top tone knob cost, 50 cents?

Sorry for the rant, just pissed me off...

Split the shaft a bit with a screwdriver and shove it back on.

My ES-339 had a loose knob the first night I gigged her it came off in my hand during a show. I was freakin' out, for a second, because I kinda had my hands full!

Best of luck, Dave.

Murph.

I can't blame you for being pissed, Dave. You buy an expensive guitar like a Gibson and you don't expect BS like that. In the interest of getting it resolved with the least amount of aggravation, I recommend what Murph said about widening the shaft and just buying a replacement knob if the crack bugs you.

Of course, you should also give the GC where you bought it a rash of crap too...

Split the shaft a bit with a screwdriver and shove it back on.

My ES-339 had a loose knob the first night I gigged her it came off in my hand during a show. I was freakin' out' date=' for a second, because I kinda had my hands full!

Best of luck, Dave.

Murph.[/quote']

The crack turned into a broken off piece of plastic so i'll try the old super glue fix, at least to hold me over..... I'll buy a new knob when I'm in Boston next week, its not such a big deal.... Just how they tried to cover it up is what sucked.

Gibson didn't do that, bro.

That was your local (or, for you, not) Guitar Center.

Gibson has em' layin' around.

So...............

Is the ES-339 the FREAKIN' BOMB..............................................

Or what?

Yes. It is.

I'm right.

Again......................

Murph.

Archived