Gibson Brands Forums

can i get a gibson custom made to my spec?

Armando

I'm sure they'll make just about anything for the right amount of money.

As an aside, I much prefer to buy off-the-rack guitars so I know what I'm getting ahead of time rather than being committed to paying for something that may or may not turn out the way I hope it will. Wood just varies too much for me be confident that I'll get a winner no matter how much I pay for it.

What specs are making you want a custom guitar?

A lot of parts of a guitar are interchangeable and that can be done for a few hundred bucks.

The specs that are not as easily modified is the body, neck, wood and color but there is a ton of colors and combination of woods. So does it come down to the neck profile? frets? woods? color?

A lot of parts of a guitar are interchangeable and that can be done for a few hundred bucks.

The specs that are not as easily modified is the body' date=' neck, wood and color but there is a ton of colors and combination of woods. So does it come down to the neck profile? frets? woods? color?[/quote

it would be like the James Hetfield custom maltese cross but with anything diferent like change the maltese cross with maltese wing like these:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4106175/2/istockphoto_4106175-maltese-wings-and-star.jpg

The specs that are not as easily modified is the body' date=' neck, wood and color but there is a ton of colors and combination of woods. So does it come down to the neck profile? frets? woods? color?[/quote']

it would be like the James Hetfield custom maltese cross but with anything diferent like change the maltese cross with maltese wing like these:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4106175/2/istockphoto_4106175-maltese-wings-and-star.jpg

I've thought about writing one of my fave out-of-state dealers and asking if Gibson would be coerced into making an SG to spec if I were to supply all the necessary info, reference photos, etc. They only upcharged me about $500 or so when I got my custom-color/specific hardware (chrome instead of nickel) Standard a few years ago. If they're still "nice", maybe a totally custom deal might not be too deadly on the pocketbook.

H-Bomb

Archived