Gibson Brands Forums

Identify an Explorer E2

detuned

Unfortunately I don't have a picture (yet), but I'm trying to get some more information on my guitar.

It's a Gibson Explorer E2, Walnut w/ a locking tremolo. Can you find out the year by the serial number? I was told that it was a 1979 but I'd like to verify that. The number is 73149076.

I have been unable to find any online pictures of this style guitar with the locking tremolo, the closest picture I've found is on the Bernie Marsden site, the picture is here. www.berniemarsden.co.uk/images/guitars/g2.jpg

Any info would be appreciated.

Can you find out the year by the serial number? I was told that it was a 1979 but I'd like to verify that. The number is 73149076.

The first and fifth digits (7 and 9) are the year. The second, third and fourth digits (3, 1 and 4) are the day of the year. The last three numbers are the production number. So your guitar was built on the 314th day of 1979 (november 10th, I believe) and the production number is 76.

Thanks so much for the info!

One more question, were locking tremolos offered on these guitars or is that an after-market addition? I'm the 3rd owner of this guitar and didn't get that information.

The bridge is branded as "Gibson" and it says "U.S. Pat. Applied For".

• 1 year later...

Thanks so much for the info!

One more question, were locking tremolos offered on these guitars or is that an after-market addition? I'm the 3rd owner of this guitar and didn't get that information.

The bridge is branded as "Gibson" and it says "U.S. Pat. Applied For".

I've yet to see one that had a stock trem on it. Usually if they did they were aftermarket kahlers [thumbdn] Are you sure your not confusing the the TP-6 tailpiece which came stock and had fine tuners like a locking trem?

• 9 years later...

Hey I would like some help on my 1979 E2 Explorer....

I heard that the 1979's had this small piece of maple on the back of the guitar by join of the neck and body...Then in the 80's till they stopped making them that little piece was not used... Did all 1979's have this or did it get changed late in the year???

My thought is.. the early ones in the year had the small piece of maple..and near the end of the run of 1979 it was stopped...Then from the 80's on the guitar was built without that maple piece.

Does anybody have a later in the year of 1979 like Novemeber... and it doesnt have the maple piece.