Gibson Brands Forums

LES PAUL OWNERSHIP DEMOGRAPHIC SURVEY

Lunatic

No more polls from me! Excellent feedback / commentary nonetheless.

I got my 1st LP in 1985 - was 21 at the time. It was a '78 (I think) Black Beauty, 3 PUPs (middle PUP may have been added by previous owner), white scratch plate & moulded plastic flight case. Ended up selling it same year to eat & pay rent. Back in those days I was eating once a day and drinking lots of water to stay full (not looking for sympathy - just a statement of cold fact). I now have a 1990 35th Anniversary, a 2013 Standard AAA top and a 1956 Reissue Goldtop with P90s. All this and I still sook for my first. I still think about if there was a way I could have paid the bills without having had to sell her - answer is always NO. Could have borrowed money I suppose but that wasn't in me then, and still not in me now. Too proud? More like too embarrassed to even ask. I keep looking for her and just maybe one day, we will meet again. Those moulded cases were the absolute BOMB! Need a lie down now.

"Regrets, I've had a few..."

I still have my first playable guitar, an Ibanez Roadstar from the early 80's. But that's just because it would have only bought enough ramen and burritos to last two weeks. Hungry days indeed.

I like your poll and the rewording is better. I changed my vote but only by one year. My Epi LP was a birthday present for my 50th.

In 1985 (age 25) I traded a 1955 ES-295 with amateur refinish, a 1960s Epiphone Cortez, and a basket case '67 Fender Coronado for a wine red 1980 LP Standard with DiMarzios. I kept it about a month before trading it for a 1950s Hofner Committee archtop.

Many dumb moves over the course of 30 days.

](*,) ](*,)

We really need a facepalm emoticon here...but haven't got one so [lol]

I finally got my LP in 2012 but could have (and should have) bought one many yrs earlier....

In 1985 (age 25) I traded a 1955 ES-295 with amateur refinish, a 1960s Epiphone Cortez, and a basket case '67 Fender Coronado for a wine red 1980 LP Standard with DiMarzios. I kept it about a month before trading it for a 1950s Hofner Committee archtop.

Many dumb moves over the course of 30 days.

Trading up by trading down.

I'm reminded of a loverly poem by Shel Silverstein

Smart

My dad gave me one dollar bill

'Cause I'm his smartest son,

And I swapped it for two shiny quarters

'Cause two is more than one!

And then I took the quarters

And traded them to Lou

For three dimes -- I guess he didn't know

That three is more than two!

Just then, along came old blind Bates