Gibson Brands Forums

Wampler mythbust's op-amps

krock

I think that electric guitarists are as superstitious as a 10th century parson.

Perhaps even more. In the 10th century they didn't have a chance of trying power sag. [biggrin]

I think a guy that spends his days with his head inside a ratty TS-9 trying to duplicate the holy grails of tones has no idea what I do with guitars.

rct

Not trying to be blasphemous here, but I doubt there is any holy grail at all, tonewise or otherwise. :-k

With my s-hitty hearing I could not tell any difference in the chips. Most if not all sounded the same to me.

They sounded similar for sure. The time that passed between each test also made it harder to remember the previous sound.

As a pedal builder, I have played around with op amps quite a bit. My experience with swapping op amps in a tube screamer type circuit is consistent with this video. There are differences but they are usually subtle. This video may be a little misleading to less electronically inclined guitarists because it may suggest that op amp type has little difference in the overall sound in any given circuit.

However, in this video the diodes are doing the clipping, not the op amp. So in this particular circuit the sound is not very dependent on the op amp type in the first place. I think the video was meant to specifically show the effects of op amp changes in a Tube Screamer style circuit, the mistake one could easily make is to think that this applies to all circuits that use op amps.

In a circuit where the op amp is clipping, swapping different types can have a dramatic effect. Other types of circuits like envelopes may not work at all with different op amp types.

Basically, this video shows one way op amps are used where the type isn't too important. You could just as easily make a video that demonstrates the opposite

Archived