Gibson Brands Forums

King Pin Instruments

saturn

I had made a post a year or so back regarding these parts.

Long story short....this guy came to Victor (my friend and employer) to see if he could make some parts for a prototype steel guitar he was building, and possibly more for production if they worked. He had been to several other machine shops but no one either could or would help him. He gave us the original Fender tuning tray and bottom plate (I don't know what it's really called) and we duplicated them as best we could. The original trays were obviously stamped, but we had to do everything on the CNC mill.

Here was the Fender tuning tray and our copy.

Fender%204_zpsmsr1jmfs.jpg

Fender%205_zps0wonqt5h.jpg

We also made the plate where the pickups, string and knobs come through, but I never took pictures of those. But you can see them in the video around 1:50.

It's actually a pretty interesting video if you have about 8 minutes. And just for rct, there's a nice part about the case around

4:50. [biggrin]

The original looks press formed from sheet.

Your ones would obviously cost more and be much more precise I should think. I'll watch the vid later when I have more time. Nice job!

Yeah. He addresses that in the video. He says the original dies are now in Japan. Stainless steel is a PIA to machine and it cost him a pretty penny to have us do it.

Sweet! Thanks for that!

At the Fender Factory they handed me Leos' original Strat jackplate die, which was sitting on the last of his original...presses? Something. I almost died.

rct

Sweet! Thanks for that!

At the Fender Factory they handed me Leos' original Strat jackplate die, which was sitting on the last of his original...presses? Something. I almost died.

rct

Hey. Thanks for watching.

But about the Fender jackplate....pics or it didn't happen [flapper][biggrin]

Hey. Thanks for watching.

But about the Fender jackplate....pics or it didn't happen [flapper][biggrin]

I believe there actually are pictures of myself foaming at the mouth in there at some points. I know she took a picture of me holding 5 Ingvay J. Malmsteen necks with a look of complete horror on my face.

rct

Archived