Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone ever wire an HSS Strat?

StRanger7032

Now that I have two Strat type guitars, I'm going to convert one to an HSS configuration. It looks like I need to replace one of the 250k pots with a 500k, but I can't figure out which one, and if I then need to change capacitors too. The wiring diagrams I can find online don't show the pot values. The only one that does shows some weird resistors installed by the switch, but doesn't identify them. Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, I have found it a bit problematic...

The humbucker really needs a 500k pot and the single coils 250k. Best bet might be 500k for volume and no tone control on the humbucker? Or you could do a 500k tone pot on the humbucker and a 250k shared between the other two. The #2 position on a 5 way switch is the problem in my experience. The humbucker and the single coil don't seem to play well together. A 3 way switch could solve the problem perhaps... as long as you don't need/want that position 2 or 4 sound.

Yeah, I have found it a bit problematic...

The humbucker really needs a 500k pot and the single coils 250k. Best bet might be 500k for volume and no tone control on the humbucker? Or you could do a 500k tone pot on the humbucker and a 250k shared between the other two. The #2 position on a 5 way switch is the problem in my experience. The humbucker and the single coil don't seem to play well together. A 3 way switch could solve the problem perhaps... as long as you don't need/want that position 2 or 4 sound.

Ok. Thanks. Using the 500k as the tone for the humbucker sounds like what I need to do. I want to stick with the 5 way switch and have the humbucker split on the 2 position. I wonder if that would help the issues with the HB and middle working together? I want it to do something different than my other guitars, so I don't want to go with all humbuckers and a 3 way. This wiring is going to take some time to figure out!

Ok. Thanks. Using the 500k as the tone for the humbucker sounds like what I need to do. I want to stick with the 5 way switch and have the humbucker split on the 2 position. I wonder if that would help the issues with the HB and middle working together? I want it to do something different than my other guitars, so I don't want to go with all humbuckers and a 3 way. This wiring is going to take some time to figure out!

How about this one.. Just replace the 250 volume with a 500 id say...

stratschem_zpspl2hvsum.jpg

How about this one.. Just replace the 250 volume with a 500 id say...

I'd seen this one before and it confuses me a bit. It shows a Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbucker, which is what I want to use, but it shows all 250K pots. If I change the volume to 500K, wouldn't that have an effect on the single coils too since it controls all 3? Is it possible that the Seymour Duncan Strat humbucker is designed for 250K pots? Their website isn't much help on this topic.

I'd seen this one before and it confuses me a bit. It shows a Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbucker, which is what I want to use, but it shows all 250K pots. If I change the volume to 500K, wouldn't that have an effect on the single coils too since it controls all 3? Is it possible that the Seymour Duncan Strat humbucker is designed for 250K pots? Their website isn't much help on this topic.

Well it depends on the specific pickup... If its a loud one then yes a 500k pot will allow it to open up more when in the bridge position.. If its a mellow pickup then 250k may be ok.... .

This is another one of those many confusing talked about subjects...

Another thing to think about maybe is go for a 300k pot instead? You can read about this for hours and still not get a definitive answer..

Well it depends on the specific pickup... If its a loud one then yes a 500k pot will allow it to open up more when in the bridge position.. If its a mellow pickup then 250k may be ok.... .

This is another one of those many confusing talked about subjects...

Another thing to think about maybe is go for a 300k pot instead? You can read about this for hours and still not get a definitive answer..

I'll be using a fairly mellow PAF voiced Strat-sized humbucker (S.D. Lil'59), since the single coils are vintage output. I don't want the humbucker to be overwhelming in comparison to the single coils. I think I'll just try it with a 250K and .022 cap and see what it sounds like. I have a spare 500K pot I can throw in if needed, and I can get a .047 cap for cheap and try that too.

I'll be using a fairly mellow PAF voiced Strat-sized humbucker (S.D. Lil'59), since the single coils are vintage output. I don't want the humbucker to be overwhelming in comparison to the single coils. I think I'll just try it with a 250K and .022 cap and see what it sounds like. I have a spare 500K pot I can throw in if needed, and I can get a .047 cap for cheap and try that too.

Well from what I have read..

That's what those diagrams with the resistors are for.. They balance out the 500k pot... But I don't know too much about that... (im sure there are guys on here who do though)

But yes, so they say having the 500k pot can make the single coils too bright. But having it all 250k can make the hummer a bit dull... Its one of those things you really just have to try out and try and find the right balance for the individual pickups and wiring scheme involved.

I'll be using a fairly mellow PAF voiced Strat-sized humbucker (S.D. Lil'59), since the single coils are vintage output. I don't want the humbucker to be overwhelming in comparison to the single coils.

It will be.

rct

Have you thought about using the Fender S-1 switching system?

I have the schematic if you want me to post it.

The others from Seymour Duncan are good too.

Here's what the Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster can do.

American Deluxe Stratocaster

On the American Deluxe Stratocaster (and its left-handed, HSS, ash-body and V-neck versions), the S-1 switch functions quite differently than it does on Telecaster models, adding five more pickup combinations to the five already offered by standard Stratocaster wiring. With 10 total pickup wiring options then, S-1-equipped American Deluxe Stratocasters offer enormous tonal versatility.

When not in use, the S-1 switch doesn’t affect standard Stratocaster wiring, which is:

Position one: bridge pickup only

Position two: bridge and middle pickups wired in parallel

Position three: middle pickup only

Position four: middle and neck pickups wired in parallel

Position five: neck pickup only

The S-1 switch offers five additional pickup wiring options when engaged:

Position one: all three pickups wired in series

Position two: bridge and middle pickups wired in series

Position three: middle and neck pickups wired in series

Position four: bridge and neck pickups wired out of phase, with a special tone capacitor

Position five: bridge and middle pickups wired in series and out of phase, in parallel with neck pickup

Just something else to think about.

Have you thought about using the Fender S-1 switching system?

I have the schematic if you want me to post it.

The others from Seymour Duncan are good too.

Here's what the Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster can do.

American Deluxe Stratocaster

On the American Deluxe Stratocaster (and its left-handed, HSS, ash-body and V-neck versions), the S-1 switch functions quite differently than it does on Telecaster models, adding five more pickup combinations to the five already offered by standard Stratocaster wiring. With 10 total pickup wiring options then, S-1-equipped American Deluxe Stratocasters offer enormous tonal versatility.

When not in use, the S-1 switch doesn’t affect standard Stratocaster wiring, which is:

Position one: bridge pickup only

Position two: bridge and middle pickups wired in parallel

Position three: middle pickup only

Position four: middle and neck pickups wired in parallel

Position five: neck pickup only

The S-1 switch offers five additional pickup wiring options when engaged:

Position one: all three pickups wired in series

Position two: bridge and middle pickups wired in series

Position three: middle and neck pickups wired in series

Position four: bridge and neck pickups wired out of phase, with a special tone capacitor

Position five: bridge and middle pickups wired in series and out of phase, in parallel with neck pickup

Just something else to think about.

Funny you mention that. I was just thinking about the fact that I sold an S-1 setup from my old American Deluxe last year. Then I thought about why I sold it. My main complaint about it was that it made lots of sounds but it couldn't make a single good Strat sound. Thanks for the idea, though. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. I'm dropping the guitar off for a full re-fret tomorrow, which will officially put me way into the red in terms of total investment into the guitar vs. resale value. I'm going to get a custom pickguard made and change the pickup covers and knobs, too. I'm hoping I can figure out what to do with the pickups while its in the shop for the re-fret. I'm leaning toward a Cool Rails in the bridge now, as the Lil' 59 is probably too hot to balance with the single coils.

Here it is stock. Its actually a very rare configuration, probably custom ordered from G&L for the original owner or dealer. Hardtail with an early Strat style "Hard V" neck. Doesn't make it worth more, unfortunately, but it makes me want to hang onto it.

IMG_1694_zpsby9ehybf.jpg

Archived