Gibson Brands Forums

Taylor T5?

bulletfinger

Don't take me wrong...................

I gigged a few years ago with a guy (rhythm playing front man, Country) that had one. He has since gone to a full sized acoustic. While I guess it has a niche, in

MY OPINION

It's not a very good acoustic, and it's not a very good electric.

In other words, you won't have that big fat acoustic sound, nor will you have a very good semi hollow sound. Remember, my #1 is an ES-339, but it doesn't try to be an acoustic. It's a freakin 335 on steroids in a Mesa Boogie.

If you play it and like it, good for you. But play it several times and make sure it will do what you need it to do. I would have zero use for one. I have nothing against Taylor as a Company, I just could not use that particular guitar, and I was around it for many many hours.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Thanks for the input , especially Murph. It's greatly appreciated. I've read good and not so good things about the guitar, but IMHO, there's no better input than that which comes from an individual with first-hand experience and a sound musical background.

I've picked around on a J-185-EC a couple of times, and some of Gibsons other accoustic models. They all have a BOOMING sound, can't argue that point. However, I couldn't get in a comfortable position when playing them. I'm sure that feeling would correct itself with time, patience, and practice.

My search will continue for now. Who knows, I may pick up a T5 and fall in love. Ultimately the decision is mine to make. Thanks again my resident gearheads.

honestly, i've never liked taylor. they have excellent craftsmanship, and they are beautiful guitars... but they don't sound good. the people that i have met who like taylors generally aren't the guys everyone respects as having great ears for tone. a lot of guys buy them off of reputation or looks, and then proclaim it's greatness. the ones that really do like the sound tend to not have as trained of an ear. the way they accent the treble draws a lot of attention, but as a player develops his ear, most start looking for more complexity and depth than taylor can offer. btw, if any of you like taylor, don't take offense. it's just one guy's preference and observations based on people i meet.

as for the T5... well, it's pretty versatile, well built, and pretty. it won't be the end all though. it just doesn't really do great at anything. ultimately, i think you would replace it.

Been looking for an accoustic/electric for several months now. Am seriously considering a T5. Do any of you own one' date=' or had the opportunity to play one? Looking for some first-hand feedback.:) [/quote']

Don't let the nay-sayers get to you. I own a Taylor T5 Custom Koa and have played it fairly regularly for the past 4 years. If you have need for an acoustic or electric and prefer not to be lugging around several guitars the T5 is the guitar for you. The neck is low action like an electric. With the combination of humbuckers and sensors on the body it does a real nice acoustic sound as well. I've played everything from acoustic sound to full blown distortion with it and it handles it all with great flexiblity.

It's one thing for Murph (who's only played with a guy who had one) or modoc (who apparently doesn't own one) to have their opinions, it's entirely another for someone who has had the extensive play time that I have had with it.

Is it the be all, end all...no...I don't feel any guitar is. I disagree with the comments about the sound though. They do sound very good...IF you know how to set up your sound system or amp for the guitar. I've found that basically true for any of my guitars though (and I have a few), but as with any of them, once you find the settings that work, you'll get a great sound out of it. I find the T5 to work best for me when I need to switch between acoustic sound and electric rhythm or leads. There are definite settings on the five way switch you don't want to use with distortion (setting 1 or 2). Those work best for acoustic sounds. Settings 3, 4 and 5 make use of the humbucker so that's where I flip it to do heavy rhythms or leads. Utimately it's you that has to determine if it will work for you and the only way to do that is to try one out.

One other note on the tone/sound...I find that people that say the T5 sounds like crap ususally aren't using it properly. In order to get the good tones for acoustic you need to go through a PA or acoustic amplifier, otherwise it will sound like crap. Going through a PA works best for me as it cuts down on the ambient sound an amp would add to the overall sound, plus I can make use of the acoustic or electric sounds without any worries (I run it through a Line6 POD X3 Live). If you feel you want to use an electric style amp it's best to have an A/B switch and run one through a PA or acoustic amp to get the best acoustic sounds and the other to an electric amp. What happens when you run it strictly through an electric amp on the T5's acoustic setting is you lose the acoustic frequency range that the electric amp can't deliver. Trust me on this...I tried it this way when I first demo'd one and it did not even sound like an acoustic guitar that way. I switched over to an acoustic amp and it was like 'hello' where did that acoustic sound come from?

Sorry to be long winded on this...but if you're going to dump a lot of cash into a new (or even used) guitar you need all the information you can get.

I own a several Taylors. I have 4, 9 series Acoustic Taylors and previously owned a T5. I had the T5 for about a year and hated it for acoustic. The only reason to play the T5 acoustic is if you dont have a decent acoustic. The T5 was worthless to me as far as the "acoustic" feature. They lie....its crap for acoustic and it takes ALOT to get it to sound decent. I traded it in for a LP Studio and switch from the acoustic to electric, the ole' fashion way.

In my opinion, a decent acoustic will SMOKE the baddest T5 acoustically any day.

Even though I own several high end Acoustic Taylors, I prefer McPhearson Guitars. They are handmade and are distinctively known by the odd placement of the sound hole. After owning one of these now for 2 years, I will never go back to Taylor Guitars. They are hard to find, being that they only make about 500 a year or so, but they are worth every cent of my money. I would trade my Presentation series Taylor Acoustic for a McPhearson guitar any day

Once again my fellow gearheads, your input is most helpful, but let me tell you why I started this thread.

It just so happens there is..(or was, I just pulled the trigger) an 07 T5 LTD Edition up for sale. It's all maple construction in HoneyBurst with quilted top and neck. It's selling for a decent price. This ain't your run-of-the-mill T5. This sweetheart has that WOW!!! factor. If my research serves me right, there were only about 400 of these units made that year.

Granted, I'm still somewhat of a novice, but I seem to be irresistably drawn towards this instrument, and I'm not talking eye candy. I've been looking, watching, reading, etc... everything I can find on this guitar for at least 6-months. I have yet to see another like it. It's like I told Murph in my previous reply, "Who knows, I may pick up the T5 and absolutely fall in love. Utimately, the decision is mine to make".

Still moving forward ever so slowly on my journey of discovery, diligently seeking the key to release the music locked inside of me. Will keep you all posted. Until next time.

klimax I think saying that "they lie" about the T5 is disingenuous. Just because you have problems with the your sound doesn't mean that Taylor "lies" about the abilities of the T5. Is the T5 a pure acoustic...no...Taylor never states that it is they bill it as a hybrid. Looking at your post I see I have a few more years of experience with the T5 and I've never had a hard time getting a good or "decent" acoustic or electric sound. If you want pure acoustic sound, sure a straight acoustic is the way to go...but if you don't want to be lugging around 2,3 or 4 guitars the T5 will do the job and do it quite well.

As far as the McPherson guitars are concerned...while they may be an expensive guitar, I've yet to hear one that sounds very good. I will preface that by saying that I've never played one myself, but from the ones I've heard live and on recording I was singularly unimpressed...especially for a guitar who's entry price is $4400 for the bottom of the line (and going all the way up to close to $7000 for the top of the line). I've heard better sounds out of the Taylor acoustics and I'd go as far to say I'd put my 315CE Limited up against their 3.5 and get better sound than the McPherson.

Bottom line is, if you like it, buy it and play it.

Don't let the nay-sayers get to you. I own a Taylor T5 Custom Koa and have played it fairly regularly for the past 4 years. If you have need for an acoustic or electric and prefer not to be lugging around several guitars the T5 is the guitar for you. The neck is low action like an electric. With the combination of humbuckers and sensors on the body it does a real nice acoustic sound as well. I've played everything from acoustic sound to full blown distortion with it and it handles it all with great flexiblity.

It's one thing for Murph (who's only played with a guy who had one) or modoc (who apparently doesn't own one) to have their opinions' date=' it's entirely another for someone who has had the extensive play time that I have had with it.

Is it the be all, end all...no...I don't feel any guitar is. I disagree with the comments about the sound though. They do sound very good...IF you know how to set up your sound system or amp for the guitar. I've found that basically true for any of my guitars though (and I have a few), but as with any of them, once you find the settings that work, you'll get a great sound out of it. I find the T5 to work best for me when I need to switch between acoustic sound and electric rhythm or leads. There are definite settings on the five way switch you don't want to use with distortion (setting 1 or 2). Those work best for acoustic sounds. Settings 3, 4 and 5 make use of the humbucker so that's where I flip it to do heavy rhythms or leads. Utimately it's you that has to determine if it will work for you and the only way to do that is to try one out.

One other note on the tone/sound...I find that people that say the T5 sounds like crap ususally aren't using it properly. In order to get the good tones for acoustic you need to go through a PA or acoustic amplifier, otherwise it will sound like crap. Going through a PA works best for me as it cuts down on the ambient sound an amp would add to the overall sound, plus I can make use of the acoustic or electric sounds without any worries (I run it through a Line6 POD X3 Live). If you feel you want to use an electric style amp it's best to have an A/B switch and run one through a PA or acoustic amp to get the best acoustic sounds and the other to an electric amp. What happens when you run it strictly through an electric amp on the T5's acoustic setting is you lose the acoustic frequency range that the electric amp can't deliver. Trust me on this...I tried it this way when I first demo'd one and it did not even sound like an acoustic guitar that way. I switched over to an acoustic amp and it was like 'hello' where did that acoustic sound come from?

Sorry to be long winded on this...but if you're going to dump a lot of cash into a new (or even used) guitar you need all the information you can get.[/quote']

MReynolds,

In my haste to post (read yesterdays post), I forgot to thank you personally for your input. Your reply was exactly what I was looking, someone with first-hand experience. As noted in my previous post, I "pulled the trigger" on the 07 T5 Ltd Edition. I will keep you all posted (if your interested), and will gladly post pics if requested.

Thanks again to all of you.

MReynolds. Well im not a sound expert thats for sure...lol. i liked the t5 but like i said...im not a sound expert by any means.....and i dont claim to be. But in retrospect, i dont believe that a musician HAS to be a good sound technician. We are musicans not technicians...although some of us musicians are killer technicians and truly understand sound. Im not the later and i would venture to say that alot of musicians not experts at sound either...at least teh ones i have met! :)

The reason i like McPhearson guitars so much is becasue I currently own 4, Taylor 9 series....all 4 of them are basically the best Taylor has to offer....one of them is a Presentation series..... I also own 2 of the higher-end McPhearsons. Like I said, im not an expert on sound by any means, but i would rather play the mcphearsons over the best taylor has to offer.

I like the T5 - I agree it's not a perfect electric or acoustic but it has a pleasing middle ground and they sound pretty good and I love the look of the Koa Models. I have different bridges and string them differently depending on what sound I'm after. The T5 with a acoustic bridge and acoustic strings sounds as close as I've heard to a straight acoustic without the mic and feedback issues. swap out to the electric bridge and strings and it a sweet jazz style electric.

Kind of like the original Taylor Solid Body not a Les Paul or a Fender but it's a fun different guitar and the Walnut top is amazing

As for McPherson I don't agree my main acoustic for recording is a McPherson 5.0 with Koa back and side with a Adirondack top and they don't get much sweeter than that. I'm not given up my J-45 or the J-185 anytime soon but if was gonna give them up it would be for the McPherson

The secret to making the Taylors sound good is the Taylor K4 equalizer makes the Taylor systems really come alive

frontcopy.jpg

Koa T5 Custom

custom_koa_fullfrontcopy.jpg

Taylor K4

Walnut Taylor solid-body Custom

TaylorSolidBody.jpg

MReynolds' date='

In my haste to post (read yesterdays post), I forgot to thank you personally for your input. Your reply was exactly what I was looking, someone with first-hand experience. As noted in my previous post, I "pulled the trigger" on the 07 T5 Ltd Edition. I will keep you all posted (if your interested), and will gladly post pics if requested.

Thanks again to all of you.[/quote']

Bulletfinger...yeah that Ltd Ed is a nice looking guitar. They still have two or three at our local dealer...nice looking maple tops. Definitely post some pics and keep us posted on the progress with it. Remember, for best acoustic sound us a PA or Acoustic amp...and for the electric you can use a regular amp or PA with something like the POD to get the amp simulator sounds.

MReynolds. Well im not a sound expert thats for sure...lol. i liked the t5 but like i said...im not a sound expert by any means.....and i dont claim to be. But in retrospect' date=' i dont believe that a musician HAS to be a good sound technician. We are musicans not technicians...although some of us musicians are killer technicians and truly understand sound. Im not the later and i would venture to say that alot of musicians not experts at sound either...at least teh ones i have met! =P~

The reason i like McPhearson guitars so much is becasue I currently own 4, Taylor 9 series....all 4 of them are basically the best Taylor has to offer....one of them is a Presentation series..... I also own 2 of the higher-end McPhearsons. Like I said, im not an expert on sound by any means, but i would rather play the mcphearsons over the best taylor has to offer.[/quote']

I know what you mean klimax...some are players only, others are players and techs. I happen to fall into the latter category...though I was a player long before I became a tech, I always had a good ear for sound. I would have to agree with you, I know a lot of players that couldn't balance the sound in a system or even get a great sound with their guitar/amp combinations...they rely on others to do that for them. Nothing wrong in that. To each his own.

Like I said, I haven't played a McPherson yet but the ones I've heard didn't stir any GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) in me...but that could've just been the people that were playing didn't have their sound dialed in either. I'm like you, I've owned a few Taylors..412CE Limited, 315CE Koa Limited, T5 Custom Koa and a Baby Taylor...so I'm quite familiar with the brand. The dealer I buy from does carry the McPherson's so I might have to pay him a visit and try them out. He's always been a help when I buy and has a lot of knowledge about guitars. As soon as I try one out I'll let you know what I think of them.

I like the T5 - I agree it's not a perfect electric or acoustic but it has a pleasing middle ground and they sound pretty good and I love the look of the Koa Models. I have different bridges and string them differently depending on what sound I'm after. The T5 with a acoustic bridge and acoustic strings sounds as close as I've heard to a straight acoustic without the mic and feedback issues. swap out to the electric bridge and strings and it a sweet jazz style electric.

Kind of like the original Taylor Solid Body not a Les Paul or a Fender but it's a fun different guitar and the Walnut top is amazing

As for McPherson I don't agree my main acoustic for recording is a McPherson 5.0 with Koa back and side with a Adirondack top and they don't get much sweeter than that. I'm not given up my J-45 or the J-185 anytime soon but if was gonna give them up it would be for the McPherson

The secret to making the Taylors sound good is the Taylor K4 equalizer makes the Taylor systems really come alive

retro...that T5 looks just like mine! =P~

I've heard that the K4 system really helps for some venues...have you checked out the Bose L1 sound system? They have settings specifially for the Taylor ES systems. If I was going to play solo or with a 2 piece guitar group I think that's what I would use. Sounds killer.

Yep I have played the Bose system and it does have a great sound especially on the acoustic side of the house, the special setting for the Expression system really is pretty amazing especially in a coffee house style venue. that said though with the T5 Ive had great luck with the K4 especially when your just going into a house system and not using your whole rig.

What is this guitar going to be used for? I am not familiar with Taylor' date=' is this primary a acoustic with a fishman?[/quote']

Taylor doesn't use the Fishman in any of their guitars (except their nylong string models) anymore. The T5 is a hybrid thin body acoustic electric. The electronics are a propriatary setup. This is what they say about the settings:

5-Way Switching

Position 1 is where you'll find the most acoustic-like tones. This is a great position for solos and a good place to experiment with the tone controls. Position 3 will go from "spanky" and clean, all the way to "full-tilt crunch." In position 4 you might find it reminiscent of a '50s hollowbody with a slight scoop. Position 5 creates a full and bright sound that's great for thick lead tones.

Position 1

Under-Fretboard Humbucker and Body Sensor in series

Activating the hidden neck pickup and body sensor, Position 1 is where you'll find the most acoustic-like tones.

Suggested amps:

Acoustic or PA, Electric/clean only (to prevent high-gain feedback in this position).

Position 2

Under-Fretboard Humbucker

The body sensor is switched off, leaving only the neck pickup active and yielding warm, round tones. This is a great position for solos and a good place to experiment with the tone controls. Try rolling back the Treble knob for darker tones.

Suggested amps:

Acoustic or PA, Electric/clean or Electric/overdrive.

Position 3

Bridge Humbucker

We move into the bridge pickup zone and one of the most versatile tonal ranges. Position 3 will go from "spanky" and clean, all the way to "full-tilt crunch." Start out with the Volume at the detent (center) then roll it up to "push" the amp.

Suggested amps:

Acoustic or PA, Electric/clean, Electric/overdrive, or Electric/high-gain.

Position 4

Bridge Humbucker and Under-Fretboard Humbucker in parallel

The neck pickup is re-activated and runs in parallel with the bridge pickup. You might find it reminiscent of a '50s hollowbody with a slight scoop. In Position 4 you'll find one of many unique T5 tones.

Suggested Amps:

Position 5

Bridge Humbucker and Under-Fretboard Humbucker in series

The neck and bridge pickups are now running in series, creating a full and bright sound that's great for thick lead tones. Change the Volume settings and watch its "personality" change.

Suggested Amps:

I've been playing acoustic for 30+ years. IMHO there are acoustic brands that tend to be better then others. In production line guitars I'd say the usual suspects. Martin, Gibson, and etc. etc.. That said there are always stand outs even from POS brands. So on any given day an Applause that rolled off the assembly line might sound better then the D-28 hanging next to it on wall. This seems to be especially true in acoustics. When ever I am at the local guitar emporium superstore I always check out the ultra expensive acoustics. On some days the Gibson Songwriter is the best sounding and on others the Clapton Model Martin is the one. It's easy to tell when they have sold one and put up a new one on the wall. Same models don't even sound the same. I know it's a subjective thing. I guess my point is that if the Taylor sounds good then that one might be the best sounding guitar that was built on that certain day with that perfect combination of glue, wood, and strings, and it might be better then all the others in the guitar store on that moment. If you like buy it.

I've been playing acoustic for 30+ years. IMHO there are acoustic brands that tend to be better then others. In production line guitars I'd say the usual suspects. Martin' date=' Gibson, and etc. etc.. That said there are always stand outs even from POS brands. So on any given day an Applause that rolled off the assembly line might sound better then the D-28 hanging next to it on wall. This seems to be especially true in acoustics. When ever I am at the local guitar emporium superstore I always check out the ultra expensive acoustics. On some days the Gibson Songwriter is the best sounding and on others the Clapton Model Martin is the one. It's easy to tell when they have sold one and put up a new one on the wall. Same models don't even sound the same. I know it's a subjective thing. I guess my point is that if the Taylor sounds good then that one might be the best sounding guitar that was built on that certain day with that perfect combination of glue, wood, and strings, and it might be better then all the others in the guitar store on that moment. If you like buy it.

[/quote']

Damn, this is gonna hurt......................

:-#

+1.

Murph.

Archived