Gibson Brands Forums

How 'bout a Dove?

Dotneck

Looks like it's seen a few battles. Still, the pickguard looks in good shape. .... That bridge reminds me of something you might see on a Breedlove. They seem to go for that more modern look. And something about the bridge is different, aside from the design. The rest of the guitar looks like it's been folded-up-wet-and-put-away, while the bridge looks unscathed. Maybe it's the photo, but the bridge seems to stand out from the rest of the guitar. Likely not the original.

1972 Heritage Custom:

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-17%20at%209.02.40%20PM_zps6abm151b.png

Looks like the black Dove is sporting someone's attempt to bring a guitar back into service by fashioning a replacement for a long-gone original bridge.

'Still curious to know if the bridge plate runs under all of that bridge.

I have never seen such. Value ?

To this old country boy, the wear and bridge wouldn't make too much matter. I'd be buying sound and playability - also would be taking into account the production year, which isn't too reassuring. Considering that most of it has held up this long under actual use, it would interest me more than a closet queen. My guess is that the original bridge split and/or exploded as so many of them did. Hands-on would be imperative before I even thought about what to pay/not to pay unless it was going for dirt cheap asking price.

Thanks, Fred...I'd never seen that bridge before. Norlin!

How do you like this one. The finish has been stripped. About ten years earlier than the black one...

Test-1_Gibson_Dove_Original_edit-1.jpg

Attractive, even sans finish. Also a better year. The bridge shape isn't very unusual - lack of inlay is the curious part.

Used_1979_Gibson_Dove_Custom_Ebony-5.jpg

Have you ever seen a bridge like that? Its listed as a 1979...

Thats the Norlin era saving money on Buying pearl ,Cutting pearl, routing a Bridge.. and glue.. typical 70s ..

on another note.. ebony looks good on the doves.. I had one done in the early 90s like that.. the cherry with the stark natural top was just to much..

Archived