Gibson Brands Forums

Levon Helm is Conan O'Brien's Guest Tonight (Tuesday)

Honky Dog

Thanks for the post. I DID read it in time to catch the performance.

Although having followed The Band from the early seventies, it was a little sad to see Levon in his geriatric years. The drumming was right on, but the voice just wasn't what it used to be. I know he's had some major health issues recently, maybe he's still on the mend.

Or maybe I just want to remember these old rockers as they were in there prime, because I'm not too far behind them.

His book, "This Wheels On Fire", is a great read. Tells a lot of tales about The Band and his rock star days. Highly recommended, check your local library or bookstore.

PS: Caution: If your a big fan of Robbie Robertson, you may not want to read this book. Levon pulls no punches when talking about his former bandmate.

For those that missed it, you can see the entire show here:

Levon Helm on Conan

I didn't watch the whole show, so I'm not sure how many sets he played, but the one I did see, starts at about

the 33:40 mark.

For those who also may not know, he famously played Loretta Lynn's (Sissy Spaceck's) father in Coal Miners Daughter.

<snipped>

For those who also may not know' date=' he famously played Loretta Lynn's (Sissy Spaceck's) father in Coal Miners Daughter.

[/quote']

Thanks for that trivia. I had never caught that. Nice to know. Levon is from Arkansas, so he could easily pass as an eastern Kentuckian. I'm from eastern Kentucky, originally. Loretta and I had the same aunt and uncle (her dad's brother married my granny's sister). My mom met her a bunch of times, but I never did.

Robbie Robertson. Amazing guitar player. Great songwriter. Miserable human being. A real d-bag.

What did Levon play? I love his last record.

Maybe, but I have always been in awe of his talent (and the rest of the Band equally). Any repeated listen to their first 2 albums makes me thankful that those guys got together.

Another great book on the Band is "Across the Great Divide" by Barney Hoskins--and the chapter from Mystery Train is not too shabby either.

Maybe' date=' but I have always been in awe of his talent (and the rest of the Band equally). Any repeated listen to their first 2 albums makes me thankful that those guys got together.

Another great book on the Band is "Across the Great Divide" by Barney Hoskins--and the chapter from Mystery Train is not too shabby either.[/quote']

Robbie has always been in awe of his talent too! :) Unfortunately, he never seemed to pay the same respect to the other members of The Band. I can't help but be bitter at the wasted potential of that group.

Live sound guy....thanks for that link. What really touched me was how Conan came over after his first song and you could just feel the respect and graciousness that Conan had for having that ledgend play on his stage. He was thanking Levon for all of us.....

Ding. I noticed that, too.

I have the last Waltz on DVD....he has really changed since then....These two clips should keep you up to date........

Great links OWF. I'm a big fan of The Last Waltz and never get bored watching it...................................................

"An adult portion"

I'd not seen him on video for many many years and he has surely changed physically. But there is no-one else who has that warm lilt and smile in his voice. It's one of those voices I could listen to for hours on end.

Pleased to see he's still making some great music.

Archived