Gibson Brands Forums

Hercules stands and damage to LP

gibsonrene

I have just read that some stans cause chemical reaction to the nitro finish on gibson guitars, and can be a disaster....

what stands do you recommend? I just bought hercules stand.....

will it also damage LP if the guitar hangs from the neck down?

Love my guitar .....

Never have a Gibson Guitar a stand that has rubber or molded latex that it is contact with. It will damage the nitrocellulose finish. It is recommended to take an old cotton sock and cover the contacts on the stand such as the neck and body braces. I always turn a white cotton sock inside out so the terrycloth looking side is out and cut it the length of the brace, wrap it around it and then sew it on so it covers any rubber or latex and the cloth protects the nitro finish, thus you can leave the guitar on the stand.

I've always kept my guitars, nitro finish or not, on a stand wrapped in cotton (either gauze or old socks, not pretty, but effective) and have had no adverse effects after several years. Again, and as always, YMMV.

I have a Hercules sheet music stand and it never once hurt my LP. rolleyes.gif But I'm pretty sure most,if not all stands use a type of foam rubber that will burn the Nitro finish on any guitar, if left in contact with it over time. So that leaves two choices: either put Lester back in his case when your done with him, or, cover the padding in question with a polishing cloth or something. I have a couple of the "Ultimate" stands that I like.....But when it's time to say Goodnight......My guitars prefer to be in their cases. msp_thumbup.gif

Archived