Gibson Brands Forums

Trade an SJ200 for a Southern Jumbo Vintage?

sbpark

I have a really nice '08 SJ200 but it's just not my thing. Paid $2,000 for it, so I got a great deal on it, and it's basically in like-new/near mint condition with zero issues, just not the sound i'm looking for. Was offered a straight trade for a 2011 Southern Jumbo Vintage custom model made for Wildwood Guitars. I know there's a little disparity in value since my SJ200 is worth more, but given what I paid, and if the Southern Jumbo sounds good, I'm thinking of doing a straight trade for it. Am I nuts? I've been trying to sell the SJ200, but they just don't seem to be super popular int he used market, and are more of a niche guitar. I already have a 20112 Advanced Jumbo and a Martin HD28 along with a couple small body acoustics, but think it would be nice to have a short scale, mahogany back and sides slope shoulder dread (as you know the AJ is long scale and rosewood back and sides).

So would you think this is a reasonable or foolish trade on my part?

Me weighing in would be quite comical... given my history, for which I do not apologize for...

However, didn't you recently have a thread where you had given up on J45s, after trying many? The guitar you want to trade for is awesome. Make no mistake about that. But is is a J45.

Me weighing in would be quite comical... given my history, for which I do not apologize for...

However, didn't you recently have a thread where you had given up on J45s, after trying many? The guitar you want to trade for is awesome. Make no mistake about that. But is is a J45.

I knew someone would remember me saying that! I've owned a few new J45 Standards, but given this SJ is a vintage model, might be a little different. And I'm well aware that an SJ is a "prettied-up" J45 so I'm not expecting it to sound different than a J45, was just willing to chance it since it may be a great sounding example. I'm willing to give it a shot and at least go check the guitar out, and if it's not my thing I'd obviously pass. The SJ200 just doesn't fit in my arsenal, and if a guitar isn't being played I love it along. Since the SJ200 is a tough guitar to sell I figured I'd just trade it for something if the right guitar came along.

Typo/auto-correct on my laptop. Sorry.

I did not intend to give grief for grammar, just saying I won't soon forget someone saying the long-scale, super jumbo bodied, maple back & sided, spendy SJ-200 was basically a prettied up J-45, is all. [biggrin]

I did not intend to give grief for grammar, just saying I won't soon forget someone saying the long-scale, super jumbo bodied, maple back & sided, spendy SJ-200 was basically a prettied up J-45, is all. [biggrin]

Like i said, when I typed SJ, my laptop auto-corrected it to SJ200. Give some credit.

Typo/auto-correct on my laptop. Sorry.

Auto-correct gets me in a whole heap o' trouble, frequently.

As far as your trade goes, some of it depends on the specs for the SJ you're interested in. You got a very good deal on the SJ 200, so you're not "losing" anything on a trade of the SJ turns out to be a good one. I'm a big fan of slope-J Gibsons, but they really are individuals--like all guitars-- when it comes to tone and playability.

Since you have experienced some disappointment before, it would be pretty important to try before you buy, if at all possible.

If possible, I'd have both guitars. Over the past decades, I'm sure there are several dozen guitars that I should not have sold, traded for something I "all of a sudden" had to have. A couple things to think about---- Has your super jumbo been set-up by a good tech? Sometimes the so-called factory setup seems okay when combined with the thrill of getting the guitar, but a real setup can turn a pauper into a king.......Also, avoid a trade if you can. Been there and done that too many times and most times I lost my butt on it. Just some amateur advice from an amateur. I hope you end-up with the guitar/s you need. [thumbup]

I've decided to just sell the SJ200 and put th money in the bank. If something I like comes along I'll consider it. But until then the SJ200 is for sale and I have my trusty Advanced Jumbo! The SJ200 plays like butter, it's just not the sound for me. Confirmed this today when I took it to my singing lesson. Just don't like it and prefer the growly, grit of a slope shoulder. Nothing wrong with the guitar, just isn't doing it for me. Someone will come along and snag it. It's in ridiculously nice shape. Just have to have some patience I guess and wait for the right buyer.

SBP, Yah, The SJx00a are sort of 'an acquired taste'. Not for everyone - not as popular as the J45s for sure. But I absolutely love my SJ200. They have been absolutely loved by many pros for decades.

I do go through down times when I enjoy the short neckers more. Inevitably though, after a few weeks not playing it - whenever I pick it up again, my ears just perk up and want to reach out and hug it. I much prefer singing with it, compared to my other two. It's tuned down a half-step with Medium Lights.

So, if I were me - or you in this case - I would list it at a price on the high side (IE. don't give away the good deal you got on it to some stranger) and while you are waiting for a buyer, pick it up every now and then for some quality time playing, and ask yourself if you'll miss it when it's gone. G'Luck.

SBP, Yah, The SJx00a are sort of 'an acquired taste'. Not for everyone - not as popular as the J45s for sure. But I absolutely love my SJ200. They have been absolutely loved by many pros for decades.

I do go through down times when I enjoy the short neckers more. Inevitably though, after a few weeks not playing it - whenever I pick it up again, my ears just perk up and want to reach out and hug it. I much prefer singing with it, compared to my other two. It's tuned down a half-step with Medium Lights.

So, if I were me - or you in this case - I would list it at a price on the high side (IE. don't give away the good deal you got on it to some stranger) and while you are waiting for a buyer, pick it up every now and then for some quality time playing, and ask yourself if you'll miss it when it's gone. G'Luck.

That's sort of what I've been doing. Listed it sort of high, play it now and then and second guess myself, etc. But now I just want to sell it since I've decided that it's really not for me. I figured if I can get $2500 for it it's a win/win for both parties. I make some money and the buyer gets a near-mint SJ200 at a great price!

Archived