Gibson Brands Forums

Summer project

surfpup

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol have you ever been to Bakersfield before? I wonder why they would call it that, seems really random (Bakersfield is the home of Mosrite though)

Not random at all... It's because of the Bakersfield sound circa late 50s and early 60s... Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, etc. It was the raw country music of the time unlike the smooth Nashville sound of Chet Atkins.

Not random at all... It's because of the Bakersfield sound circa late 50s and early 60s... Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, etc. It was the raw country music of the time unlike the smooth Nashville sound of Chet Atkins.

Ahh I see. I have a lot to learn about da good country music. Love the stuff I've heard from those dudes, maybe there was something to do in Bakersfield besides crystal meth back then lol (actually Bakersfield ain't too bad just nothing to do there)

Ahh I see. I have a lot to learn about da good country music. Love the stuff I've heard from those dudes, maybe there was something to do in Bakersfield besides crystal meth back then lol (actually Bakersfield ain't too bad just nothing to do there)

Back then it was just crop fields and honkytonks as I understand it. Lotta people who had moved west due to the dust bowl and what not.

Check out Don Rich (Buck's guitar player) for that classic Bakersfield sound (he could sing a bit too).

This one is somewhat well known for the 4 British lads who covered it... [rolleyes]

Back then it was just crop fields and honkytonks as I understand it. Lotta people who had moved west due to the dust bowl and what not.

Check out Don Rich (Buck's guitar player) for that classic Bakersfield sound (he could sing a bit too).

This one is somewhat well known for the 4 British lads who covered it... [rolleyes]

Still is relatively speaking. If you were to drive through there right now, you might see some signs that say "congress created dust bowl" because apparantly water regulations have killed off a lot of the farms, and there are a lot of barren fields. Calling it a dust bowl is a bit of a politically motivated exaggeration but it's not at it's best for sure. Anyways thats gettin pretty off topic haha

That track. Damn. Gonna listen to it again [thumbup]

Okay, this is why I love this forum.

Came to see the project (awesome project Surf!) ended up finding a really cool band [thumbup]

Oh, you youngsters... so much to learn. [biggrin] Buck and Don are definitely required listening. Glad I could share them with you. [thumbup]

...It's because of the Bakersfield sound circa late 50s and early 60s...

...I can provide some more modern examples of people pushing that "Bakersfield" sound if you want...

...Buck and Don are definitely required listening. Glad I could share them with you...

Thanks for that info, Surf, and the links to Buck and Don!

I've learned something today and, believe it or not, it explains something which I first heard 40 years ago when this album came out in '77. Listen at the 0:16 second mark;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jq_CslrO94

Okay, this is why I love this forum.

Came to see the project (awesome project Surf!) ended up finding a really cool band [thumbup]

Yup!

msp_thumbup.gif from me, too!

Pip.

Thanks for that info, Surf, and the links to Buck and Don!

I've learned something today and, believe it or not, it explains something which I first heard 40 years ago when this album came out in '77. Listen at the 0:16 second mark;

I know exactly the comment you mean without the link... "Little bits of Bakersfield!"

Steve Gaines brought that style to Skynyrd for sure. [thumbup]

Forgot to ask Pup.. what tuners did you go for on this? Those gotohs?

Yes. The vintage styled ones - but with staggered post heights so no string trees needed. I found them on ebay for about $20 less than Stew Mac.. but they are these...

I know exactly the comment you mean without the link... "Little bits of Bakersfield!"

Steve Gaines brought that style to Skynyrd for sure. [thumbup]

That's the one.....lol!

There were no bad guitarists in Skynyrd, of course, but I think Steve Gaines is my favourite out of the bunch. 'I Know a Little' is an absolute tour-de-force.

I murder it regularly when practicing at home...

Pip.

Archived