Gibson Brands Forums

Richlite boards

weldaar

I can't be certain about when they started with richlite but they stopped using ebony in 2012.

By that time they were probably experimenting with richlite ... And they probably used it in production models starting in 2013/2014.

They use it mostly on customs from what I have seen.

JC

The first guitar I'm aware of that Gibson made using Richlite was the 2011 Midtown Custom, made in Nashville.

This was an ES-335ish hollow-body. I've never been a fan of Micarta or Richlite, but decided to give the guitar a chance based on the overall features & price point. In the time I owned it, the neck developed a back-bow that could not be adjusted out.

That instrument is now just a murky memory. My one & only Richlite experiment, and I'm done with it!

I have the 2008 Trad. I am positive that's Rosewood. I know that the Epi I bought for a project guitar ( I wanted the body) had a weird feeling board until I changed the neck to real wood.

I owned a Martin CEO-4 sometime around 2008 I think. Richlite fretboard. M&T neck (not dovetail joint). It played fine and I wouldn't have known about these two things if I didn't start looking at guitar forums.

That Martin... long scale slope... heavy as heck... ugly burst. Martin muddy sound... but I digress...

1501113405[/url]' post='1871401']

I enjoyed the feel of the Richlite board on my old Tweedy sig Martin, but I was always mindful of the fact that a synthetic fretboard on a relatively high ticket guitar seemed odd to me.

Yes I have a Martin JTOODB and I know how you feel but. I honestly love the feel of mine and don't worry at all . The tone and playability more than make up for the Richlite fretboard and bridge , after all having a Richlite board and bridge was all part of the certified woods construction of the guitarQ

post-73405-023438600 1501177516_thumb.jpeg

Yes I have a Martin JTOODB and I know how you feel but. I honestly love the feel of mine and don't worry at all . The tone and playability more than make up for the Richlite fretboard and bridge , after all having a Richlite board and bridge was all part of the certified woods construction of the guitar

A what ??

Archived