Gibson Brands Forums

Swapping HD28 for a new Hummingbird Standard

MorrisrownSal

The sight of 1 beautiful Standard-flier.

Wasn't the first more orange.

Well, a great chance to compare with that if it's still in the family.

Look forward to hear this - but please don't play the insanity-song.

May I suggest Mother Natures Son. Good fun to learn'n'sing, , , and a nice escape when things get too real.

Welcome back to the ~ butterfly ball ~

Checking back.

EM7 - I did want to learn as best as I could for now... MN Son. I know it should be fingerpicked, but - and I am loathe to admit this - my hands are somewhat arthritic. Bums me out. I hope to get there eventually the proper way, but here is me getting 80% there with a pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dStvdqSaT9Y

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers all.

Confessing sins/mistakes here is therapy. Selling that Vintage was wrong. And the gentleman even gave me the right to buy it back. I didnt take him up on it.

We do illogical things - unrestrained things - impulsive things.

Best I can make of it - maybe if we allow insanity in one part of our life, it allows us to stay sane in the other parts.

Sal, this post sums it all up for me. Lust, lust for something new but essentially the same. Guitars keep many on the straight and narrow. Know what I mean. Enjoy.

I did do the swap Mick. The HD28 is gone and the Hummingbird has replaced her.

I have now five guitars in my home office. Whoa! D15, D18, Bird, J50, Eastman E10ss. Actually I dont get the D18 for another ten days or so. It is completed in Nazareth though.

And to get to five, I gave away my fair share too, including this LG2 to my son, who posted this from North Carolina earlier this week:

UB1e9Wal.png

Its his favorite guitar, and he is making great use of it.

To be truthful, I am going off of memory, and it's hard without them both here. So emotion gets involved: the competing emotions of justifying my actions, versus the emotion of loving that Vintage. The former emotion wants me to say "this new one is just as good or even better!" But I don't think that's true. The Vintage was dry, throaty, surprising volume, lighter, and was a special guitar. This one is nice, and I like it just fine. I'll need to get to know it.

Who knows. Sometimes a love developed over time trumps love at first sight.

Standard needs a few to break in. Mine definitely evolved a lot in the past 2 years and it feels like a neverending honeymoon [thumbup]

It already sounds awesome in your video. What year model is it?

Archived