Gibson Brands Forums

Free - Free Me

IanHenry

I think Paul was a great advocate of the "less is more" theory.

I feel that the world was robbed of a great talent, basically because Paul was stupid but there was a lot of stupidity about amongst artists back in those days. I can't help but wonder what musical magic we've missed out on from the likes of Paul, Jimi etc, etc. What a waste.

Ian

I think Paul was a great advocate of the "less is more" theory.

I think I read this in the book Heavy Load (good read, btw) but apparently Koss didn't like to be bothered with rhythm parts too much, preferring to make it cry and sing. But I do find he chooses the simplest voicing wherever possible.

Really interesting clip, Ian. Hadn't seen that one before.

Thanks for posting.

Nice guitar!......msp_love.gif......

Yes, really good book. I know David Clayton - very nice guy. :)

...and the person behind the Free Appreciation Society - or at least he was in Dec 2003 when he compiled information about Koss' guitars for the association's issue # 102.

Thanks again, Andy! It's an absolute treasure-trove of info!

To wit;

In the 20-page booklet we learn that the 1958 Darkburst LP seen in the above footage has had a pretty Interesting life...

It was bought in '68 by Eric Clapton (after his "Beano" 'burst had been pinched) and used it extensively both in the studio and on stage including what was to become Cream's "Farewell" tour of the USA. When Blind Faith toured the States in '69 they brought Free over as their support act. Come the end of the tour Clapton and Koss exchanged Les Pauls; the Darkburst became Koss' and the latter's 3-p'up LP Custom became Eric's.

The '58 was sold by Koss in '74 and passed through various owners (including between '77 and 1980 none other than the writer David Clayton himself!) and eventually - in some sort of 'full-circle' thingy - ended up with Paul Rodgers. Rodgers finally gave the guitar to Koss' father, David, who in turn put it up for auction; the proceeds of which were donated to the Isabel Hospice charity "In memory of Paul Kossoff".

If you want a giggle check out the vid clip for The Firm's 'Satisfaction Guaranteed'. Not only will you see Rodgers playing the ex-Koss LP; not only, even, will you see a very cheesy performance by J. Page, Esq; you will see the barman's duties being acted-out by a certain Mr. L. Polfuss...

Pip.

It was bought in '68 by Eric Clapton (after his "Beano" 'burst had been pinched) and used it extensively both in the studio and on stage including what was to become Cream's "Farewell" tour of the USA. When Blind Faith toured the States in '69 they brought Free over as their support act. Come the end of the tour Clapton and Koss exchanged Les Pauls; the Darkburst became Koss' and the latter's 3-p'up LP Custom became Eric's.

Hmm... and you know, I think that was the one Andy Summers sold to Clapton! :)

Another interesting little film, someone has produced a collection of Paul Kossoff solos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlY1g8EZeHY

I could listen to Mr K everyday but it always amazes me how many cameramen focus on the singer, bass player and drummer when a guitarist is doing a solo. I also wonder if Paul ever got flies in his mouth during a solo.

Ian

Archived