Gibson Brands Forums

Peavey Classic 50

Super24

My local guitar shop has a used Peavey Classic 50 that has caught my eye. This thing looks brand new and is much cheaper than new. I don't really need 50 watts but it looks like a deal. Does anybody care to comment on this amp?

I really had my eye on a variable wattage amp like the Mesa Express. At this point I'm a basement musician and was thinking 50 watts may be too much for home use.

Is that the same as the Classic VTX? I think that's what I've got. Solid state preamp, 2 -6L6s, 2-12"s, right? Mine is an '88 and I've owned it since '97. Swapped a trashed Twin for it. I believe it'll run forever and is worth about $200 so when it dies it'll go over the dump. Sounds great though.

Unless you're planning on playing with other musicians any time in the foreseeable future, I think 50 watts is going to be total overkill. You didn't mention what sort of sound you're going for but, as an apartment dweller who owns a 5w Fender and a 15w Fender for home use, I can safely say that both are too loud to crank up when you have a neighbor on the other side of your living room wall. I mostly use the 5w amp along with a pedal for a dirty tone and the 15w amp... well, it mostly sits in a closet.

Unless you're planning on playing with other musicians any time in the foreseeable future' date=' I think 50 watts is going to be total overkill. You didn't mention what sort of sound you're going for but, as an apartment dweller who owns a 5w Fender and a 15w Fender for home use, I can safely say that both are too loud to crank up when you have a neighbor on the other side of your living room wall. I mostly use the 5w amp along with a pedal for a dirty tone and the 15w amp... well, it mostly sits in a closet.

[/quote']

I guess I should stick to my plan and go for a Mesa 5:25. I do play with a drummer sometimes, but your right, 50 will be overkill. I do want some OD at lower volumes. Neighbors aren't that much of an issue, I live in a detached house with some land.

i've got the classic 30, it isn't a bad amp (especially when GC was trying to get rid of them so i walked out with it for about $400 after all was said and done), the cleans for me were to bright until i changed the tubes and i don't care for the OD, but i use the Crunchbox instead, so it works for me till i get more money for something else

I guess I should stick to my plan and go for a Mesa 5:25. I do play with a drummer sometimes' date=' but your right, 50 will be overkill. I do want some OD at lower volumes. Neighbors aren't that much of an issue, I live in a detached house with some land. [/quote']

BOOGIE is a wise choice.

You cannot go wrong with either 5:25/5:50.

Get the 5:25 with 12" it sounds fuller.

I also have a classic 30 and I go back and forth between liking it and hating it.

JJ tubes and better speakers make these amps better but not great.

They do have a what I consider unusual clean channel and the dirty channel is better with the JJs.

I keep mine at "1" when I play in my dedicated guitar room. 50 watts would be absolute overkill.

Also I recently repaired mine, I replaced the diodes after a shorted tube took them out. The impression of these amps being builat tough quickly vanishes when you see the PCB board, brittle as crackers, the cabinet is MDF with exception of the baffle panel which is plywood. The pots have aluminum shafts so they break easy.

I bought mine used and for the used price it is a decent amp it also came with the JJs in it. I like the reverb and the effects loop.

I would go for the Mesa 5:25

I gigged a Classic 50 Peavey (EL84's, not the old Peavey "Classic" that was a 50 watt 2;6l6 ss preamp) for a few months back in the late 90's.

Hated the fan. I could wrestle some tone out of it, but sold it to a kid down the road. It died quick.

I don't like Peavey. At all.

They are now almost all built in China, and just crap. I'm getting to not be a big fan of Fender. They are almost all Mexican now.

I do like Mesa. They'll do anything, if you learn how to work a tube amp. If you can't figure it out, get a modeler.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Archived