Gibson Brands Forums

I've Learned...

Californiaman

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once' date=' when I was younger and more stupid (18), I dated a girl whose grandparents we'd go visit on Sundays. The granmother was always so outgoing, talkative, but the grandfather always sat in a rocking chair on the porch, saying very little. However, when he did speak, it was always interesting.

Me being 18, I thought he was boring and would ignore him. One day I happened to take a moment and look around thier modest little house and came upon a bunch of military medals hanging on a wall in the old man's study. Upon looking closer, there were Purple Hearts, a Silver Star, and various other medals of merit.

The old man had fought in WWII at the Battle of the Buldge. He was in the first group of American soldiers to march into Berlin. He even was a guard at the Nuremburg trials.

Youth is wasted on the ignorant. I learned that I should never discount someone because they are old. It was a powerful lesson.[/quote']

The times I've spent with my 86-year-old uncle as he relates his military service to this country are some of the most compelling, edge of my chair and seat of my pants stories I've ever heard. As a master sargent he trained many of our countries young men as they prepared for WWII. One such story he described how his men did not have enough rifles to train with. The G.I.s had to share a rifle to learn how to break it down. They used wooden fake rifles for hand-to-hand combat training.

When he transfered into the Airforce he was stationed among other places England. Of course the government's position at the time was that we didn't have nuclear weapons on British soil. That story couldn't have been farther from the truth. One day a young, distraught airmen stood over an atomic bomb with his .45 cal pointed directly at the weapon. It was a standoff that my was very involved in. He's the one who ended it.

I've learned, indeed, young wankers with short attention spans don't do serious threads well.

They actually dislike them. Weird.

I miss my Dad. It's been almost 4 years. He couldn't play guitar much. But he loved it when I did.

As a gun dealer/collector, when he died I ended up with even more than I had, as a survivalist/hunter type. I sold one of his favorite guns, that I had no use for myself ( a .375 Holland and Holland magnum) to help purchase my ES-339. That way, he is a part of it, in a way. If ya know what I mean?

Great topic.

Murph.

I've learned' date=' indeed, young wankers with short attention spans don't do serious threads well.

They actually dislike them. Weird.

I miss my Dad. It's been almost 4 years. He couldn't play guitar much. But he loved it when I did.

As a gun dealer/collector, when he died I ended up with even more than I had, as a survivalist/hunter type. I sold one of his favorite guns, that I had no use for myself ( a .375 Holland and Holland magnum) to help purchase my ES-339. That way, he is a part of it, in a way. If ya know what I mean?

Great topic.

Murph.[/quote']

Murph:

That's a legacy.

Your father's immortality in your own hands and music.

I did it on purpose. I didn't need the money, but I took the actual cash and applied it that way. He bought my first guitar, ya know?

Kind of helps me think of him every time I open the case in a bar.

Thanks.

Murph.

Kind of helps me think of him every time I open the case in a bar.

Thanks.

Murph.

I find as I get older, I reflect more on the kind of legacy I want to leave to my son, who is 7. I hope that someday, after I'm gone, he can open up his guitar case, or something similar, and remember me. I strive every single day to make sure that if I check out tomorrow, his memories of me are great ones.

Oh, and I agree with you idea that the young wankers don't do reflective, thoughtful posts. Could it be that they haven't yet lived enough to reflect on anything?

i've learned that you can learn alot from the old wankers. especially in the reflective posts. i've also learned that i should make every moment of my young wankerhood count because it's not gonna last.

and i've learned that if i can make music that lots of people love that i will live forever through my music. thanks lemmy kilmister.

Archived