Gibson Brands Forums

I've Learned...

Californiaman

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.

Once, when I was younger and more stupid (18), I dated a girl whose grandparents we'd go visit on Sundays. The granmother was always so outgoing, talkative, but the grandfather always sat in a rocking chair on the porch, saying very little. However, when he did speak, it was always interesting.

Me being 18, I thought he was boring and would ignore him. One day I happened to take a moment and look around thier modest little house and came upon a bunch of military medals hanging on a wall in the old man's study. Upon looking closer, there were Purple Hearts, a Silver Star, and various other medals of merit.

The old man had fought in WWII at the Battle of the Buldge. He was in the first group of American soldiers to march into Berlin. He even was a guard at the Nuremburg trials.

Youth is wasted on the ignorant. I learned that I should never discount someone because they are old. It was a powerful lesson.

Archived