Gibson Brands Forums

Help me date older J50

bbbacres

The older I get the more I find myself appreciating  a song like late U. Utah Phillip's "All Used Up."   If you never got to see Utah he was truly one of the nation's great treasures as an activist, singer/songwriter, and storyteller.  This is one of those songs which starts off as biting and  and cynical as it gets but ends up on one heck of a high note. 

Edited by zombywoof

Thanks for the interest guys. After further study of the info on this site, 1965 seems right. It's hard to adjust to that as it was quite used when I got it. 

I also notice the pearl dots on the bridge. Also, I got it in a case with the red plush lining. However, the case is missing any logo on the outside and there is no "string" on it now for the lid. It does have a molded handle with stitching. So may not be a Gibson case at all. I appreciate everyone's help. Have a great new year.

Wayne

DSC03160.JPG

DSC03162.JPG

DSC03163.JPG

DSC03158.JPG

Guitars like the J-45 and J-50 did not necessarily come standard with cases until relatively recently. Prior to that, cases on lower-end guitars like this were options, with several grades of case to choose from, depending on your budget.

Many cases were generic, rather than fitted to the specific model guitar. I paid $10 for a Gibson chipboard case for my first 1950 J-45 when I got it in 1966. It was Gibson-badged.  

That cheap case unleashed a chain of event that resulted in the J-45 being re-topped by Gibson in 1968.

Around 1970, I spent $35 for an un-branded generic hard case for that guitar at a store in Providence, RI. It did not fit it particularly well, but at least it was a hard case.

That same guitar now sits in a custom G&G Cali Girl case from a run for Norman's Rare Guitars in LA.

I have a lot more tied up in cases for that guitar than I paid for the guitar in 1966.

4 hours ago, j45nick said:

Guitars like the J-45 and J-50 did not necessarily come standard with cases until relatively recently. Prior to that, cases on lower-end guitars like this were options, with several grades of case to choose from, depending on your budget.

Many cases were generic, rather than fitted to the specific model guitar. I paid $10 for a Gibson chipboard case for my first 1950 J-45 when I got it in 1966. It was Gibson-badged.  

That cheap case unleashed a chain of event that resulted in the J-45 being re-topped by Gibson in 1968.

Around 1970, I spent $35 for an un-branded generic hard case for that guitar at a store in Providence, RI. It did not fit it particularly well, but at least it was a hard case.

That same guitar now sits in a custom G&G Cali Girl case from a run for Norman's Rare Guitars in LA.

I have a lot more tied up in cases for that guitar than I paid for the guitar in 1966.

During at least from the 1930s into the 1960s Gibson did not supply cases with guitars.  You generally had three three choices - plush lined, flannel lined and Challenger/Durabilt (chipboard).  In the 1960 catalog which lists prices the flagship plush lined case ran $47.00.  To put this in perspective a J50 would cost you $145.  They all had the small brass Gibson plaque near the handle. Sometime in the mid-1960s Gibson made a gig bag available.  

My best guess if you are talking about a plush lined hardshell case a 1965 Gibson would have come with one with the yellow lining.  By 1965 the handle would be molded plastic.  

Edited by zombywoof

Looks exactly like my 1965 J-50, but the headstock on mine is in better shape and I have a rosewood saddle. Obviously the tuners have been replaced with replicas, I also replaced the originals on mine because I just couldn't get them to work smoothly.

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, JackWallin said:

I have an old J-50 with a 5 digit serial number on the back of the headstock. 90030. I am assuming this is an early 60's??

Should be 1962, '63, or '64.

Not necessarily much difference between the guitars in those years, except an increasing likelihood of an adj bridge.

A picture would help.

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, BTT said:

I am trying to date a J-50…. Stamped on back of head stock.  

A000318

Made in the USA

any suggestions or other sources are much appreciated!!

1973-75. I was once told the only year that had "A" plus six digits was 1973 but everything I've seen in print says 1973-75.

15 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

1973-75. I was once told the only year that had "A" plus six digits was 1973 but everything I've seen in print says 1973-75.

I restrung a deceased friend of mine for the family just before Christmas last year. He has a J50 Deluxe with a serial Beginning with an A on back of the headstock. The label inside the soundhole is orange and white and shows Kalamazoo, Michigan USA. I had a picture of the serial number and came up with the same info of 73-75. The label did not have the serial number on it  only the headstock. I had a picture of the serial # and I evidentally deleted it. I still have a vague picture of it when I was taking a picture of the bridge plate afyer I restrung it. I'll try to post the picture.

28 minutes ago, the other side said:

I restrung a deceased friend of mine for the family just before Christmas last year. He has a J50 Deluxe with a serial Beginning with an A on back of the headstock. The label inside the soundhole is orange and white and shows Kalamazoo, Michigan USA. I had a picture of the serial number and came up with the same info of 73-75. The label did not have the serial number on it  only the headstock. I had a picture of the serial # and I evidentally deleted it. I still have a vague picture of it when I was taking a picture of the bridge plate afyer I restrung it. I'll try to post the picture.

https://imgur.com/a/05XWwPi

I got my 1974 J-50 new and took very poor care of it. After it became unplayable I had a luthier fix it up around 2013 and he did a great job. When I picked it up I asked if there were any problems and he said the only problem was, he didn't want to give it back. 🤣  My son in law liked it so much, he's had it on permanent loan for many years now.

But here are a few old pictures, you can barely see the label inside. It has some nasty stains, probably from kids and cats who liked putting things into it over the years. I checked and old receipt, and its serial number also begins with "A".

1974-j50-deluxe.jpg

74_body.jpg

74_headstock.jpg

The original tuners were a mess, one was broken and they were all very stiff from the start so I replaced them with the Gibson in this photo which I got at Guitar Center before I knew there were nice replicas of the originals available elsewhere. Here's what the originals looked like though.

74_tuners.jpg

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, almost seaworth said:

I stumbled onto an J50 adjustable. nut size is 1 9/16--serial number is 120805. any ideas?

Ideas about what?  If you are asking about build date that serial number is one of those which can be assigned to two different years.  Given the 1 9/16" nut width and I am assuming a 14 degree headstock pitch (it had been 17 degrees) indicates 1967.  Other than that, you are on your own as post-1964 Gibson acoustics take me out of my comfort zone.

Edited by zombywoof

On 12/23/2021 at 1:49 PM, torasama said:

I have a j-50 that my father brought to me used in the early to mid 1960's. Stamped serial no. 344614.

Printed inside "J50 ADJ BRIDGE" which it has in rosewood.

Nut is 1 11/16" and does not seem to be plastic. Neither does the the bridge.

Logo has the "i" dotted. Pickguard has the point. Sound hole has a two circle decal.

I'm an old man now and it would be great to know the age of this instrument. Memory isn't what it used to be but I thought I got it (used) in late 1963 or 1964.

thanks, 

Wayne

Austin air duct cleaning

I am trying to date a Gibson J 50 Adj that belongs to my father 'n law. Not selling it or anything. Just having fun. It has a serial number on the back of the headstock: 306327. The guitar looks basically like the others out there: natural finish, large pick guard. The saddle appears to be rosewood, if that means anything.

On 2/7/2024 at 1:10 PM, Boyd said:

I got my 1974 J-50 new and took very poor care of it. After it became unplayable I had a luthier fix it up around 2013 and he did a great job. When I picked it up I asked if there were any problems and he said the only problem was, he didn't want to give it back. 🤣  My son in law liked it so much, he's had it on permanent loan for many years now.

But here are a few old pictures, you can barely see the label inside. It has some nasty stains, probably from kids and cats who liked putting things into it over the years. I checked and old receipt, and its serial number also begins with "A".

1974-j50-deluxe.jpg

74_body.jpg

74_headstock.jpg

The original tuners were a mess, one was broken and they were all very stiff from the start so I replaced them with the Gibson in this photo which I got at Guitar Center before I knew there were nice replicas of the originals available elsewhere. Here's what the originals looked like though.

74_tuners.jpg

That is just beyond sweet!

On 12/31/2021 at 1:03 PM, torasama said:

Thanks for the interest guys. After further study of the info on this site, 1965 seems right. It's hard to adjust to that as it was quite used when I got it. 

I also notice the pearl dots on the bridge. Also, I got it in a case with the red plush lining. However, the case is missing any logo on the outside and there is no "string" on it now for the lid. It does have a molded handle with stitching. So may not be a Gibson case at all. I appreciate everyone's help. Have a great new year.

Wayne

DSC03160.JPG

DSC03162.JPG

DSC03163.JPG

DSC03158.JPG

That is just a beautiful guitar..... I hope you enjoy it for the rest of your life.

16 hours ago, cayine said:

I am trying to date a Gibson J 50 Adj that belongs to my father 'n law. Not selling it or anything. Just having fun. It has a serial number on the back of the headstock: 306327. The guitar looks basically like the others out there: natural finish, large pick guard. The saddle appears to be rosewood, if that means anything.

Lawdy, it is raining 1960s J50s.  This serial number also indicates two different build dates, in the case of yours it is 1965 or 1967.  If the guitar was built earlier in '65 it would have a 1 11/16" nut.  If built later it will also have the skimpier nut width. 

Wood saddles were common.  My 1961 B45-12 sported one.  LMI stocks bone ADJ saddles for Gibsons if you have hankering to try something different.  

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

Sounds just like my 1965 J-50. Sorry, too lazy to dig the case out of the closet and get the serial number, LOL. But it checked out as 1965 and it came from Guitar Center who said it was 1965 as well.

It has the 1-11/16" nut with a skinny neck carve (which I like), the rosewood adjustable saddle and thick pickguard. Took these when I bought it (2015?), ended up swapping the tuners for new Kluson replicas, just couldn't get the originals to work smooth enough.

65j50-1.jpg

65j50-3.jpg

65j50-2.jpg

Edited by Boyd
  • Like 1