Gibson Brands Forums

Artificially Aged Top - Impact on Longevity

uncle fester

Ha!

While Nick is kind saying it, I am the King of Zip, maybe the King of Fools if anything....and it is Monday morning work here in 'Stralya' and the computer pc says I am a...SLAVE. :mellow:

So in my break, I have just proven that it is quicker to run in to the other room, turn on the Mac lappie, open the photos software, load the photos on to lovely Imgur...than to try and open old photos (I have thousands) in that POS Photobucket, who to add to the hysteria, send me endless emails asking if I want to sign up until 2050 or some gibberish.

NOw it is true that I have been experimenting with my own torrefaction process.

First, I light the Weber Q, get a bit of BBQ and heat going...lean the guitar against the side of the Q while I go inside and watch TV.

df6ACNfh.jpg

I tried my Martin OM so I wouldn't have to buy their new toasted one:

QFtMe7lh.jpg

But I left it leaning on the Q for a bit long when the TV show got exciting....and a couple of drinks....and I shrunk the Martin and it went ..brown....

1Pi3Fdsh.jpg

Next, I will try toasting my National Steel to se what happens! :rolleyes:

BluesKing777.

You know what, I think you're using the wrong type of smoker!

I've got this nice webber set up I've been experimenting with some good luck. I wouldn't offer this up to anybody, but if you've got an AJ, Southern Jumbo or Hummingbird around you'd like to toast- send it on down and i'll work it for you (it does takes a year though, and doesn't always change the guitar - but i will try my best!)

post-88847-051480400 1513607635_thumb.jpg

You know what, I think you're using the wrong type of smoker!

I've got this nice webber set up I've been experimenting with some good luck. I wouldn't offer this up to anybody, but if you've got an AJ, Southern Jumbo or Hummingbird around you'd like to toast- send it on down and i'll work it for you (it does takes a year though, and doesn't always change the guitar - but i will try my best!)

post-88847-051480400 1513607635_thumb.jpg

Aha!

I was going to offer to smoke people's guitars too!

Free service - send it over - takes approx 6 - 8 months and your guitar will be returned fully smoked, free service! [smile] :mellow:

Now a tip....

I read where you can half-torrefy and then do a few cycles in the clothes dryer to add a bit of relic goodness, but the guitar I did shrunk!

bDBmNYPh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Aha!

I was going to offer to smoke people's guitars too!

Free service - send it over - takes approx 6 - 8 months and your guitar will be returned fully smoked, free service! [smile] :mellow:

Now a tip....

I read where you can half-torrefy and then do a few cycles in the clothes dryer to add a bit of relic goodness, but the guitar I did shrunk!

bDBmNYPh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Hah!!!

Now, serious stuff!

I saw this 1995 Gibson Hummingbird Cherryburst on Reverb.com.

All guitars are different but I just get a really great 'resonance' out of a 1993 guitar I have, just the whole guitar can sing depending on the tune - and that 'resonance' is on of the things people hope to get with a torrefied guitar top. 25 years old is a good number, I think. But here someone has done all the work and it is apparently ready to play!

I have also noticed in my forum reading on another channel that some people but a few different guitars on 'tryout', keep the one they like, send back the ones no good to them and pay the extra shipping costs...

https://reverb.com/item/6604486-gibson-hummingbird-1995-cherryburst

BluesKing777.

Now that is serious stuff! Not sure what you can tell from a picture - but it looks to have a really abrupt fade from the cherry to natural. A little too much for me, but the age is definitely right.

Here's another I've been looking at from 1992 , same general age. Again - not sure what I can trust from a pic, but this seems like a more gradual fade (and a little darker cherry) which is more to my liking. And I agree as well, this has a 25 yr jump on a natural torreficiation - to me, that is better!

My personal milestone comes about a week after new years, that's when i'll be able to officially take a leap - but geeze, wouldn't mind just jumping now. The upside is the selection is always evolving, not a bad thing.

Now, serious stuff!

I saw this 1995 Gibson Hummingbird Cherryburst on Reverb.com.

All guitars are different but I just get a really great 'resonance' out of a 1993 guitar I have, just the whole guitar can sing depending on the tune - and that 'resonance' is on of the things people hope to get with a torrefied guitar top. 25 years old is a good number, I think. But here someone has done all the work and it is apparently ready to play!

I have also noticed in my forum reading on another channel that some people but a few different guitars on 'tryout', keep the one they like, send back the ones no good to them and pay the extra shipping costs...

https://reverb.com/item/6604486-gibson-hummingbird-1995-cherryburst

BluesKing777.

I have a 1990 Hummingbird which is probably my favourite six stringer in the herd. Just a magical instrument. As you said, all the donkey work has been done by another player and it’s 100% ready to go!

According to a dealer friend of mine, early period Bozeman acoustics are rapidly becoming collectible and are ascending in value as word is spreading about how good they are.

I have a 1990 Hummingbird which is probably my favourite six stringer in the herd. Just a magical instrument. As you said, all the donkey work has been done by another player and it’s 100% ready to go!

According to a dealer friend of mine, early period Bozeman acoustics are rapidly becoming collectible and are ascending in value as word is spreading about how good they are.

For the record, what is the nut size, neck size on the 90s birds, Jinder?

Same as the new ones - 1.72”?

Wrong guitar for my style, just helping BillRoy!

BluesKing777.

For the record, what is the nut size, neck size on the 90s birds, Jinder?

Same as the new ones - 1.72”?

Wrong guitar for my style, just helping BillRoy!

BluesKing777.

The neck on my ‘90 Bird is a D, chunky but not too much of a handful. It strikes me as closer to 1 11/16” than 1.725” but it may be just between the two. It’s a perfect neck profile for my hand and feels like it plays with zero effort whatsoever!

The neck on my ‘90 Bird is a D, chunky but not too much of a handful. It strikes me as closer to 1 11/16” than 1.725” but it may be just between the two. It’s a perfect neck profile for my hand and feels like it plays with zero effort whatsoever!

Thanks Jinder.

How does it compare to your newer neck models in your sig?

BluesKing777.

Thanks Jinder.

How does it compare to your newer neck models in your sig?

BluesKing777.

The newer guitars tend to have a shallower C profile, equally pleasant in the hand but the Bird is so substantial in the neck department that I can really move around onstage and not pull the neck sharp or flat at all. A really solid guitar. My SJ200, by contrast, is a wonderful instrument but is rather sensitive to being moved around too much during performance-the neck is a lot thinner and more flexible. A seated gig, for example, would suit the 200 much better. I can see why the Stones loves Hummingbirds and used them so frequently-rock solid guits!

Archived