Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD and some questions

PickyPick

HNGD, I have been lurking for a while and normally hang out on the Epiphone Forums but I finally went out and bought me a long-awaited Gibson Songwriter. I was saving up for a while then I saw this gem on the Guitar Center used website for 1200 because of a previously broken neck. I gambled and it is a beautiful neck fix. I can barely see it and I don't feel it. Anyway according to the Serial Number this was built in 2004 at Nashville and I am staring down this fretboard hardcore and I can't tell if this is Ebony or darkened rosewood. Regardless of what it is I absolutely fell in love and will cherish this guitar!

post-31932-074347200 1522124001_thumb.jpg

According to the Gibson Serial number thing apparently the manufacturer code was Nashville... Unless Acoustics run a different set of Serial Numbers but it was my understanding they are all universally the same and its only the Custom Shop Models that have unique Serial Numbers. Also is it Ebony Fretboard?

The Songwriter was Ren Ferguson's "baby" and was most likely built in Bozeman on the acoustic line. All the fretboards I have ever seen on Bozeman guitars are Rosewood, but you never know. Those Songwriters are outstanding.

The Gibson serial number guide states:

"When acoustic production began at the plant built in Bozeman, Montana (in 1989), the series' numbers

were reorganized. Bozeman instruments began using 001-299 designations and, in 1990, Nashville

instruments began using 300-999 designations. It should also be noted that the Nashville plant has not

reached the 900s since 1977, so these numbers have been reserved for prototypes."

Check your serial number and see if the last four digits are in the range 001-299.

According to the Gibson Serial number thing apparently the manufacturer code was Nashville... Unless Acoustics run a different set of Serial Numbers but it was my understanding they are all universally the same and its only the Custom Shop Models that have unique Serial Numbers. Also is it Ebony Fretboard?

The guitar was made in Montana. The bridge and fretboard are Ebony.

Wow learned more about the guitar. The last four are 4099, and it's awesome to know that the Fingerboard and bridge are made of Ebony. She's a player and I look forward to doing some actual songwriting on this guitar. Thanks for your help! until then I shall save for my next investment which is a 60s Gibson Dove.

Wow learned more about the guitar. The last four are 4099, and it's awesome to know that the Fingerboard and bridge are made of Ebony. She's a player and I look forward to doing some actual songwriting on this guitar. Thanks for your help! until then I shall save for my next investment which is a 60s Gibson Dove.

Keep us posted and enjoy your new guitar.

JC

The guitar was made in Montana. The bridge and fretboard are Ebony.

Yep, newer ones have rosewood fretboards, but you've got the ebony, Picky. My favorite in the Gibson line, with the abalone rosette. Major congrats!

Archived