Gibson Brands Forums

Break My Heart...no $$$

jedzep

Thanks, I needed that. I was a little shaky, but out of the blue the seller gave me a courtesy phone call and I got to throw questions and get the back story. He couldn't remember the nut width though. Fat fingers crossed. Awesome day.<br>

Nut width should be 1 11/16" (1.69") if unaltered. I'll be really interested to talk to you about it when you get it, since my J-45 was literally in the batch (3644) just before this one (3645). They may have come out of the Kalamazoo plant within days of each other.

The question of whether it's a J-45 or a J-50 may be easily solved. Mine has "J-45" ink-stamped on the centerline back cleat, visible through the soundhole. That stamp is fairly faded and might be overlooked if it is faint. Your new guitar should probably have a similar stamp, but it's not always there, and it can be hard to see even if it is there.

I'm excited for you. A vintage J-45 is the best "new" guitar day!

Big thanks, boys. The 'go ahead and buy the damn thing' attitude and your combined knowledge did a lot to help me make this great get. Talking to the seller was a real positive experience too. I was wrong in assuming he wasn't a 'guitar guy'. He's a pawn shop owner for 30+ years and sees a lot of fine vintage comings and goings. When the guitar came to him it was painted with brown house paint. Yikes! His tech stripped it except for the rosette, and checked the braces, set it up and gave it back in this condition. Owner (Rudy) didn't know if he wanted to spend more so he put it out there at what I see as a good price, and he was getting ready to take it down and keep it, but his wife gave him the 'not another guitar' stink eye, so here I sit with soaring heart and debt. Yeehaa!

I'll get back to you guys on email and PMs in a bit. Gotta' go load up the wood room. Still winter in Cooperstown.

Anybody got a logo stencil?

Big thanks, boys. The 'go ahead and buy the damn thing' attitude and your combined knowledge did a lot to help me make this great get. Talking to the seller was a real positive experience too. I was wrong in assuming he wasn't a 'guitar guy'. He's a pawn shop owner for 30+ years and sees a lot of fine vintage comings and goings. When the guitar came to him it was painted with brown house paint. Yikes! His tech stripped it except for the rosette, and checked the braces, set it up and gave it back in this condition. Owner (Rudy) didn't know if he wanted to spend more so he put it out there at what I see as a good price, and he was getting ready to take it down and keep it, but his wife gave him the 'not another guitar' stink eye, so here I sit with soaring heart and debt. Yeehaa!

I'll get back to you guys on email and PMs in a bit. Gotta' go load up the wood room. Still winter in Cooperstown.

Anybody got a logo stencil?

I would probably leave it as a J-50. Did he tell you what finish they put on it? Stripping a guitar is tricky, since the plastic bits--like the binding and rosette--are easily dissolved by aggressive paint strippers. That could be why they left the rosette alone.

I would scrape that rosette paint off, but you need to be careful and patient, and use razor-sharp tools. I expect that stewmac has the right tool for the job.

It's a bit of a shame. I've actually seen over-painted guitars stripped back, saving the original finish. The wood looks to be in really good shape.

Give us a report when you can put it down for a few minutes after you get it.

I believe there is no finish on it, unless there's a just a sealer or a base lacquer coat. I won't do much more to it, but I will dump the pick guard and go naked. Then I'll see if I want to wet sand some of the glitches out and have it sprayed in satin. Maybe not though. Seller says it's J50, so don't worry. I won't be sending it out for a 'burst' job.

Congratulations JZ!

I didn’t like the rosette in the photo, but in the video it is not unbearable looking....sounds great. Maybe leave it - you will be able to recognize it from 250 yards if someone pinches it.

No, I’m warming to it, just play the clappers out of it and look forwards!

Oh, the wait, the wait, I think I will celebrate and buy online! Nah, makes me feel a bit sick after last time...

Now, my guitar fund.....my leaking hot water system was fixed for $280 instead of the walls coming down etc that the first plumber told me, so.......I’m probably going to get a Waterloo ladder braced TBar Kalamazoo copy. (I urgently need new strings but the place I drop in and buy a string and play all their guitars has....among other goodies...1. 58 J45 @ gulp...$6000. 2. 68 J50 with pencil neck. 3. 68 Bird $6499 4. 66 Bird $6295. Saw all this online, can’t go there. Oh, they are digging a hole for a pool next door, noisy gang moved in for months - acoustic guitars are probably out, Tele and Boogie are probably in? Bagpipes at dawn.

BluesKing777.

Haha! I pity the fool. Thanks for the perspective, BK. Why should I enjoy my evening when others are suffering? Back to the self-loathing.

I refinish furniture so I know not to apply chemicals to the ring. I have a fine carbide scraper that will remove the paint.

Haha! I pity the fool. Thanks for the perspective, BK. Why should I enjoy my evening when others are suffering? Back to the self-loathing.

I refinish furniture so I know not to apply chemicals to the ring. I have a fine carbide scraper that will remove the paint.

So you going to melt that ring off?

If it doesn’t work, just paint BK777 in big letters across the top and send it to me! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Thanks Joe. I'm not sure it would have lasted long. Be honest, you woulda' grabbed it for yourself.

Nah, the oldest guitar I own is 10 years old, I’m just not into vintage gear. Hope it’s a keeper for you.

I'll just sign it. I know you're OK with that. Whose name would you like on it? I have Billy Gibbons signature down pretty good.

What about Tommy Emmanuel's sig on it?

It will go nicely with my Lowden - though it would good ala naturale next to my L-0!:

v1QUM7xm.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived