Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

Given the popularity of the Lifeson ES-355 model, I believe that if Gibson were to continue producing Lifeson guitars they would introduce a new model or two rather that continuing the current run of 355s. How about a Lifeson ES-335 or 345, a Lifeson Les Paul, a Lifeson SG or a Lifeson EDS-1275? I would think Gibson would want to target the hardcore fans (i.e. - all of us who already own the 355) and sell them multiple instruments before attempting to see exactly how many 355s they could sell. Just my opinion....

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey spitball!....thought I recognized that sweet 335...yeah, gotta get the white alex 355 ya know?? will look good with the white '71!! (actually it's a bit yellow now!!!, not really white anymore). I'm still looking at three weeks or so away 'til I get mine, got it from a smaller gibson dealer, but got an excellent deal $.

..by the way, someone was asking here about sounding like alex with this guitar..(obviously!!)

You can definitely get the sound of alex by using guitars like his, with of course, enough listenting and having him as a big influence..

check out these links..

most of this stuff was recorded with gear exactly like alex's and a white 1971 es-355! (well, yellow now!!):

http://www.sonicplaygroundstudios.com/Toronto.htm

www.myspace.com/thetorontoairport

this track has the black strat with the L-500 pickup:

http://hometown.aol.com/Sonicplayg/starfleetpatrol.mp3

http://hometown.aol.com/Sonicplayg/fusiademopage.html

I've done years of hunting and research looking for gear like Alex's (mostly older gear)..and years ago, finally got everything I've ever wanted....now, I'm more into doing my own thing and not trying to copy anyone else..it's certainly an excellent place to start though, and Alex is a great inspiration... this white 355 is really a dream guitar that all of us have always wanted...for me it started with the Hemisphere's poster I got when I was about 14 yrs old...I dreamed about that guitar on the poster throughout most of my young adult life.

www.myspace.com/seanedwardghannam

Don't base your purchase decision on only 300 Lifesons being made because it's possible that in time to come Gibson will make it a normal run instrument. Buy it because of the reasons I cited earlier. Hope this helps. Best of luck to everyone who reads this.

Sorry you had a bad experience with the Supreme - I think a lot of people were similarly aggrieved when the Reverse V was reissued so soon after the GOW run.

However' date=' I'm not aware of any of the 'Inspired by' series becoming regular production models to this date. Or any of the signature models come to that. I think to do that would be breaking faith on the whole limited run nature of the line, so I'd be [i']very[/i] surprised if the AL run extended beyond the initial 300, despite its sales success.

Hello Enduroexpert, VRob8 and Superdick2112 - thanks very much for your comments.

Enduroexpert - the Supreme I got was in mid-2004 so it would have been one of the earliest made, but since it bore the standard Gibson serial number and not one between 0001-2003, it actually sounded alarm bells in my mind at the time. I should have known better but I simply chose to believe the advertising hype and ignored those clanging bells. Even though I ended up owning a decent guitar, it was the promise of exclusivity that was the tipping factor in my purchase decision - had the press statement not claimed the model was a limited edition, I would not have bought it. And that's the message I was trying to get across in my original posting.

VRob8 & Superdick2112 - appreciate your feedback and yes, it makes more sense for Gibson to make other AL-inspired models like an EDS-1275, 335 or a Les Paul rather than continue making the 355. I actually think that Lifeson's true calling is on the acoustic guitar so who knows, maybe a signature Gibson Jumbo? Anyway, thanks for that and thanks to everyone who read my posting and replied with one of their own. I hope in some small way I've raised awareness among the buying public of the perils of relying on hype that claims a model is "limited''. Cheers and best wishes.

Go to this link........

http://photobucket.com/

one minute to register then you can upload your photos like this......

1) Upload Photos to Photobucket first of all.......

2) Find the "IMG Code" which is the bottom of the 4 options which shows below your photo.....

3) Copy the Link in the window and paste it into the text of your thread on the forum........

Dead simple to do......

Good luck and lets see them photos............

Cheers

Johnny

I tried what you said here. Let's see if it works. I did YYZ on this guitar with a Line 6 backing track the day I got it (4-30) but can't seem to add that. At least you could hear the guitar too then. Anyway' date=' hope this works.

[img']http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm248/maverick_2112/headstockAL.jpg[/img]

AL024.jpg

ALGibsonES-355.jpg

Given the popularity of the Lifeson ES-355 model' date=' I believe that if Gibson were to continue producing Lifeson guitars they would introduce a new model or two rather that continuing the current run of 355s. How about a Lifeson ES-335 or 345, a Lifeson Les Paul, a Lifeson SG or a Lifeson EDS-1275? I would think Gibson would want to target the hardcore fans (i.e. - all of us who already own the 355) and sell them multiple instruments before attempting to see exactly how many 355s they could sell. Just my opinion....[/quote']Lifeson EDS-1275.......

This must be the next one surely........? .......well for me at least....!!!!!

Any other takers on the ole double neck for Al's next signature work of art.....????

enduroexpert - yes I think a signature AL EDS 1275 would be an attractive proposition...but would Gibson consider this, given that (as far I know) he played a stock, alpine-white 1275 which is readily available these days?

After seeing the photos posted here another word of caution has occured to me - I'd be careful about leaving the guitar for too long on a guitar stand. I'm not sure if the finish has nitrocellulose (it certainly smells like it) but if it is, this chemical tends to react with the rubber on many brands of guitar stands, leaving a yellowish stain at the points where the guitar rests on the stand. Typically, these are two spots on the bottom and a third on the back. In worst cases, the rubber burns into the wood. Best to avoid this by keeping the guitar in its case when not playing. Hope this helps.

After seeing the photos posted here another word of caution has occured to me - I'd be careful about leaving the guitar for too long on a guitar stand. I'm not sure if the finish has nitrocellulose (it certainly smells like it). . . .

Hey workingman--

All Gibson guitars have a nitrocellulose finish so yes, your concern about leaving the guitar in contact with rubberized stand parts is a good one. I encourage anyone who dropped the big bucks on one of these guitars to also go the extra mile and get a high-quality stand made of materials that don't damage the finish.

I'd also be careful of sun and smoke damage: both of these tend to make a deep impact on guitars with white finishes in particular (although they affect all guitar finishes eventually).

Ignatius

How should I care for the gold hardware on my new 355? Is there a sealant of sometype or a protectant to keep the finish looking brand new and slow down any oxidizing or premature aging?

Whats the best thing to use?

Thanks

How should I care for the gold hardware on my new 355? Is there a sealant of sometype or a protectant to keep the finish looking brand new and slow down any oxidizing or premature aging?

Whats the best thing to use?

Thanks

The best thing to do is send me the 355:-" (just kidding)

Just give the gold hardware a wipe down after playng thats what I do with my LPC

Hello manoarain: in my experience, it's very difficult to totally avoid some discoloration on gold hardware, but you can retard the process by wiping everything down with a clean cloth after playing and keeping the guitar in the case when not in use. Also, placing a satchet of dehumidifying crystals in the case (I put it in the space under the neck) will help reduce moisture exposure and protect the wood and hardware. Singapore has a very humid climate so I have to replace satchets every 3-4 weeks but obviously this will vary depending on your location. Hope this helps.

Congrats. I'd heard yesterday that they were all checked, set up and were being shipped this week. Sounds like they got them out the door that afternoon so hopefully mine's rumbling westward as we speak...

Congrats fella's.........................14 more sleeps then I'll be on the plane to get mine. Serial No. AL-125 I'm gettin', tonally chosen at Wildwood out of the bunch they got. I need one with a crackin' tone to help my playin' sound better than it actually is............!!!!!

Damn, Al 049! I'm impressed! Good job Long & McQuade. I don't know which one I like more, my AL 049 or my Jimmy Page Custom Authentic. I think I'm going to faint! I'm in Love! You will not be disappointed people.

First songs played on the AL:

1. Finding My Way

2. Working Man

3. Passage to Bangkok

Cheers!

Enduro sounds great. I love mine it gets the perfect Lifeson sound compared to my Les Paul it is so much more focused. The 57's have way more clarity then my burstbuckers which I love I have played 2112, Tom Sawyer, Circumstances, La Villa,In the End, Beneath Between and Behind, A Passage to Bangkok, Finding My Way and Chemistry and they all sounded pretty close to Alex. It has really taken my tone to the next level I know your gonna love it.

Look what came today from UPS

2513269263_b801ee6e4b.jpg?v=0

serial #165. Been lurking on this forum ever since February when I was trying to find a place to pre-order. I am going to go down in the basement now and plug in my Marshall TSL122 and spend all day down there. bye.

MIne just arrived. #175. 9.75lbs However, I am still at work 8-[ . I will be heading home in a couple of hours. I will tune it up and plug it in to my Alex Lifeson signature Triamp. First song will be Bastille Day and then La Villa Strangiato for sure. I hope this thing stays in tune. I post pics when I get a chance.

Can anyone describe how the electronics work? What position of the mini toggle is standard(mono) and which one is Varitone (stereo). By posotion I mean up towards me or down toward the floor?? Can anyone explain how one would use the stereo setting. I am guessing a Y cable in to two amps. Does the guitar come with a Y cable or do you have to buy one. I have two amps, A H&K Switchblade and a H&K Triamp, I would love to try it out in both amps. PLEASE ADVISE.

Archived