Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Superdick2112 - that looks fantastic.....what a set....

Just spoke to Steve at WildWood, he'd said you'd been in to collect..............we booked the flights earlier today, just sorting out gig tickets now...!!!!!

We land at Denver on Tues 3rd June and we fly home on Sunday 8th, so looking forward to the trip and hopefully meeting up for a beer before the show.

My email address is.......... lucodesign@hotmail.com .........drop us a line

Goodnight

Lifeson's ES-355 was hewn from the ivory on Mount Olympus. And these new AL355s are pure class! Thanks for the pictures guys...keep 'em coming! Superdick2112, having the black Rick to go along with it is quite enviable! The Fender is no slouch either I'm sure.

Unfortunately, I'm not in line to pick up one of those beauties, but I like to show off my '67 ES-335 in threads like this one because it happens to remind me of Lifeson's original #1 guitar, his '68 ES-335. Like Lifeson's, mine was heavily sprayed around the edges. I wasn't thinking about Lifeson when I bought it, but only I later realized how similar it was.

67es33501.jpg

lifeson.jpg

That 335 is hands down the best sounding guitar out of the ten Gibsons I've owned (the other 9 ranging from 1968* to 2004, manufacture years).

What year is your Rick? And for that matter, I wonder what year Geddy's is...

*EDIT: I originally said 1971...forgot I had a '68 ES-345 for a little while...

Lifeson's ES-355 was hewn from the ivory on Mount Olympus. And these new AL355s are pure class! Thanks for the pictures guys...keep 'em coming! Superdick2112' date=' having the black Rick to go along with it is quite enviable! The Fender is no slouch either I'm sure.

Unfortunately, I'm not in line to pick up one of those beauties, but I like to show off my '67 ES-335 in threads like this one because it happens to remind me of Lifeson's original #1 guitar, his '68 ES-335. Like Lifeson's, mine was heavily sprayed around the edges. I wasn't thinking about Lifeson when I bought it, but only I later realized how similar it was.

[img']http://home.att.net/~njsignals/es335/67es33501.jpg[/img]

lifeson.jpg

Whats the major difference in the floating tailpiece and the stoptail ? Im sure it effects the sound and tension in certain ways . Im in line to receive a ES 335 63 block reissue possibly next week . Admin told they've been working on them the last couple weeks .

That 335 is hands down the best sounding guitar out of the ten Gibsons I've owned (the other 9 ranging from 1971 to 2004' date=' manufacture years).

What year is your Rick? And for that matter, I wonder what year Geddy's is...[/quote']

Spitball - the Ric is brand new (about 1 month old) and has a Hipshot bridge (WAY better sound & playability than the factory bridge), and the Geddy is about 10 years old. I have owned 5 Ric basses over the years, and they just keep improving them & making them better. The Geddy has been my main bass since I bought it, and while I have 6 other basses, none of them play as easy or sound as good as the Jazz. The Lifeson has me thinking about liquidating several of my lesser 6-strings, as I know some of them will rarely see play time now that it has arrived.

Whats the major difference in the floating tailpiece and the stoptail ? Im sure it effects the sound and tension in certain ways . Im in line to receive a ES 335 63 block reissue possibly next week . Admin told they've been working on them the last couple weeks .

The '67 335 is the only trapeze tail guitar I've ever had, among several semi-hollows. It has a particularly airy quality to the timbre, a bit different than the others. I guess the floating tail causes the hollowness of the guitar to be more apparent?...Im not sure. It seems slightly more removed from the "Les Paul" realm than a stop tail 335 would be...and that's not a bad thing IMO, just different. The attack and sustain are just a tad softer, but it's not like something's been lost, only altered a bit.

You must be dying to get that 63RI!!

Any VariTone afficianados in the house?

I need a little inservice on the VariTone.

Was just curious Ive been experimenting... the possibilities and soundscapes are endless...Anyone know

what Al's preferences or settings are on Trees for example...or any particular studio tracks that I can reference to hear Al using the 355's VariTone & switching settings for tone changes??

Thanks

The '67 335 is the only trapeze tail guitar I've ever had' date=' among several semi-hollows. It has a particularly airy quality to the timbre, a bit different than the others. I guess the floating tail causes the hollowness of the guitar to be more apparent?...Im not sure. It seems slightly more removed from the "Les Paul" realm than a stop tail 335 would be...and that's not a bad thing IMO, just different. The attack and sustain are just a tad softer, but it's not like something's been lost, only altered a bit.

You must be dying to get that 63RI!![/quote']

Oh yes, Its been ordered since last december , but I think its coming soon #-o

For those still looking for one, Wildwood Guitars has 2 of them listed on their web site as of this morning - great store & great people there. If I had the means, I would buy a 2nd & 3rd AL for investment purposes - I believe these will only go up in value.

I was just on the Wildwood Guitars website and noticed that both guitars have been sold. I called the store to confirm and sure enough they were sold this morning. Wow...that was fast and it looks great on Alex Lifeson too! He must be thrilled to see so many of his fans show this much enthusiasm towards his beloved ES-355! Just look at the traffic that this guitar has generated on this forum alone. Rush truly have the most devoted fans on the planet and I being one of them since 1981 with 30 shows attended and counting. I also have a guitar on order and I wait patiently for a phone call from my local guitar shop to say.....it finally arrived.

Archived