Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Superdick2112 & DifferentStrings89..........

When you guys go into Wildwood could you remind Steve and Bruce I got to book my flight yet, tell him we're trying to meet up for beer and errrr....!!!!.....oh yeh the gig at Red Rocks, I know it may sound like queue jumping but I've had it ordered for a good few weeks and I'm hanging out for the ultimate trip of a lifetime here..........

You guys still up for the meet on the 5th June.........? My self and a mate are coming over so should be a good time had by all....!!!!!

Cheers

Johnny

Looks like this guitar is gettin' to be sold out. The online places seem to not have them anymore and I know the big Canadian chain I'm getting mine through has sold all theirs. Who'd have thought this would be a popular guitar?

Looks like this guitar is gettin' to be sold out. The online places seem to not have them anymore and I know the big Canadian chain I'm getting mine through has sold all theirs. Who'd have thought this would be a popular guitar?

Hey TurkeyT--

You're kidding, right? I don't think there has been a larger response to a Custom Shop guitar before this on the current or the previous Gibson forum! You guys have written nine pages of posts here, just to find out when the guitar will be released. I don't think even the Slash model generated as much interest! And the forum seems to reflect well the general tenor of the guitar junkies in the rest of the U.S. and Canada.

I am beginning to wonder if, like the Epiphone Lennon Casnios, we might see a re-issue of the Alex Lifeson model.

Ignatius

Even if your not a Rush/Alex fan(which in my book would make you completely mental !) this is a great looking guitar .I've been thinking about getting a 335 for a while now ,but when I saw this ..............I was like wow gotta have it don't care what it cost, pretty much and the price of this and a nice Gibson Custom shop 335 ain't very far off, so its win win in my book (hope you guys enjoy your guitars ,and post some clips on YouTube. cheers!

Yes.

Whew. I thought so, but I just wanted to be sure! I personally AM pleasantly surprised at how popular the model is proving to be in the discussions here, especially since Gibson seems to have invested its wealth of time and endorsement money in the Slash model; I wonder if Gibson has seriously underestimated the interest in the Lifeson model.

Ignatius

Oh, I reckon they really did underestimate .......but then again they must have had a good few enquiries over the years asking when one would actually materialise to go ahead.

As "Ignatius" mentioned earlier, wonder when the Re-Issue Lifeson will appear..........?

The Snow Dog Has Landed

I recieved my ES 355 this afternoon!!!

I will give my short review. I ordered my AL ES355 from the large 900lb gorilla mail order outfit with the initials MF. I tried to inquire and order from my local mom & pop Gibson Dealer here in Honolulu who I would rather order from but they couldnt get any from Gibson this late in the game (Late Feb).

The serial # I got was AL032 so much for the theory that Guitar Center & Big Boxes would get all of the low serial #'s.

First I was in awe once opening the custom case and pulling back the grey felt and silk liner covering the guitar. This was comparable to removing the lingerie from a centerfold. After regaining my senses I immediatley proceded to remove this work of art ....and inspect the overall crafstmanship & I am quite sastified Gibson did a great job all around the fret work and binding is spot on with attention to detail. Action is great. Havent even plugged her in yet as I wanted to post a note on the board here but I will plug her in shortly to experiment with sounds....Still contemplating what should be played first as this is one of those moments to cherish... Im already in trouble with the wife....for being so into the guitar..... as she commented this evening " If you look at that guitar any more today you will be sleeping with it tonight!" ..and what did I say? Hey honey think I will....Hehehehe

Aloha

Congratulations "monoarian"..................lucky fella....!!!!

Get some photos up for us please, would love to see it..........!!!!!!!!!

Just had word from WildWood in Colorado who confirmed to me that mines in Transit and I can get my flights booked to get over and pick it up..............YEH....!!!!!!

Hi Enduroexpert,

quick question. I have shipped a guitar recently but got screwed on import duty (21%!). Would be cheaper to personally go over and collect I reckon. Do you bring a special flight case or anything, or do you just check the guitar in original case as special baggage when you are transporting back. Will they let you carry onto flight ( wchih I doubt these days). How do you take care of these transport issues. I have heard some horror stories of instruments being thrown by baggage handlers from plane and ending up in bits!

It will definitely be worth my while collecting personally next time so wonder what the best way of going aboput it is.

Thanks,

chengin.

Hi chengin

My answer at this point is ....don't know....!!!!

Never done this before, if I have to pay duty then so be it; but I'm trying to get a flight that will let me bring it on board the cabin as special luggage (....gigging musician.....?????), if not then I'll ship it once I'm out there from the shop. Obvious bonus being if I can have it on the flight I may be able to skip the duty.......we'll see....!!!!!!

Hi Enduroexpert,

I have a vision of you in the toilets at baggage collection frantically trying to get the case out of the original box and bubble wrap from the shop and rubbing plently of dust and stickers on the case to make it look used...or at least that what I can see myself trying to do to avoid the extra duty!

Let us know how you get on with transporting the guitar back and what you go with in the end. I hope it works out ok for you. I'm really interested to see how you get on with this as I might be trying it myself.

Thanks,

chengin

Thanks for the link barry2001..............

Made a note of the sizes' date=' we'll see what the airline offers also but may be safer going in the hold but majorly packaged at the shop.......its all a but nervy now...!!!!

Cheers

Johnny[/quote']

I had a bad experience with an airline back in the 80s but i checked my guitar in its regular case with no extra protection . I would think the original carton with extra packing material would get it to you . Surely your dealer should be doing everything to get it to you safely as well . Ive been to Lancashire, my mother is from Reading, Berks .

chengin.......will do, I've considered that also....!!!! I'll probably do it before it goes in its carton anyways, all the sales bumpf will go in my bag and I'll throw in a duster and picks and so on.......!!!!! I've even considered buying a piece of junk of eBay in an hardcase to take out and just dump it, at least that way it'll be on file (maybe) that I took a guitar on the outward trip (....over jammin' with freinds type of trip....).......saw an ES-335 copy with bust neck go for £15 a while back and it had an hardcase, so £30 or so posted maybe worth a gamble........!!!

Archived