Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

I once ordered a guitar from let's say Company X. They refused to ship the guitar to me (production problems' date=' as soon as possible, blah blah blah - I knew that wasn't true and that they were just jerking me around) so I bought a airline ticket and flew to their factory. I figured that if I kicked some *** there, they'd get their act together. It cost me $2500 roundtrip and I had to stay overnight in Minneapolis because I missed my second connecting flight, but I figured it'd be worth it.

I'd been waiting for months for the guitar and the flight down there was terrible so I was really burning mad when I walked through the front door. I started screaming at the receptionist "WHOSE *** DO I HAVE TO KICK TO GET MY EFFING GUITAR?" She tried to calm me down but I figured that the time for reason was over. I kept pounding on the desk and yelling at her to go and get my guitar.

So of course she calls security. Outta nowhere a couple guys come at me. They were probably a couple of Company X's luthiers, to judge by the looks of them. Pretty much right away, these two guys have my coat pulled up over my head. My arms are straight up in the air and I can't see a thing. Then they went to work on my midsection. Ham-sized fists are really doing a number on me. Each blow knocked the wind out of me but I did manage to sputter "why don't you goons go back there and finish making my guitar?"

Then someone maced me and I was thrown out the front door. I went home without my guitar. When I got home, there was a message from my local music store saying that the guitar had come in. I'd spent $2500 to get my *** kicked.

THE END[/quote']

haha. now that's a tale!

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan to slap a few Barbie stickers on. I'll probably bring the stickers with me to the guitar shop and start the customizing right there. A hand-drawn dinosaur will be a weekend-project. A thick Sharpie should do the job, right?

A "Big Al" serial number would have been great...

What tunes are going to crack out of your new AL-SIG when it arrives....?

Mine in choice order will be:-

1. Freewill

2. In the Mood

3. Limelight (....cause at long last I sorted the solo out, I never had that sounding right for years....)

4. Red Barchetta

5. The whole of "Hemispheres"

6. Roll the Bones

......then weep in pure delight that I got the mans guitar after all these years of lusting.....

....Who's next......??????????

I was wondering that too. Maybe the case will have the Barbie and dinosaur designs on it...

I'm thinking the longer we wait for the guitar, the more obscure the questions here will become:

"Admin, how tight is the Varitone knob? Is it easy to turn?"

"Admin, when you pick the guitar up, can you still hear it sustaining from your previous day's playing?"

"Admin, what does the AL 355 smell like?"

Actually, Admin, feel free to go ahead and answer these questions now...

You guys are really cracking me up here!!...hillarious stuff!!I just ordered an AL 355...hope they ship soon too....can't believe that Gibson finally did this. Glad that they made Al's sig guitar a 355...so cool. I'm hoping that the custom shop quality really exceeds regular Gibson production guitars...(p.s. check out the top of page 30 in May 2008 Guitar Player!)

I think they mean Guitar Center and other stores have bought them all up.

That's what I take it to mean. All 300 may have been ordered (how do we even know this?) but it's up to individual stores to actually sell them. I'm sure there'll be cases of people buying them off the rack at their local guitar store (though not a lot, obviously).

So I was just wondering ....any one else going to remove their pickguard once their guitar arrives?

I just was watching the vintage footage on R30 Disc II The Vault where Alex plays Circumstances and La Villa using his ES355... Ive been debating I like the tortise shell but I like his look of sans pickguard as well...

Patiently waiting for a word from Gibson about a ETA...

The pickguard stays on for me. I also thought about ordering a shorter vibrato arm and an "ALEX LIFESON" engraved truss rod cover from a parts supplier, just to get it as close as possible to Lerxt's axe, but I think I'll just keep it stock. After all, I'm not Big Al, so no need for his name to be on my guitar, and as far as the shorter vibrato arm goes, I plan on actually using mine, so the longer one stays on. Maestros hold tune pretty well if you put a little powdered graphite in the nut slots & don't floor it like a Floyd Rose.

The white Strat is in the Exit... Stage Left video.

A true Rush geek would also have that crappy guitar Alex plays in the "Closer to the Heart" episode of Trailer Park Boys. And also the one he plays "Closer to the Heart" on at the end.

I'm going to get a custom truss rod cover that says "NEIL PEART" just to mess with peoples' heads.

Archived