Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson ES-355

alpine

Hey guys' date=' Thanks for the advice! Proud owner of AL142 checking in. There aren't words... this baby is killer! Can't wait to try it a full volume and start recording with it. Right out of the case it was visually inspiring and totally playable!

Anyone recording with this yet? Why not post links to some sound-bites with the Lifeson? I'll do same when I get something down. Thanks again, I'm gonna go play![/quote']

gtr-pro, congratulations! If it arrived today then yours is a special one indeed, as today is Big Al's 55th birthday. Enjoy, and welcome to the club!

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so rich are we going to meet up

Yes! Let's meet at the Morrison Inn, upstairs on the patio. I'll be wearing a black Spector Basses hat & a maroon Wildwood Guitars t-shirt. We usually get there about an hour & 1/2 - 2 hours before the show - see you there!

also could you help me with getting out

Sure, just follow us up from the Inn, park by us, & afterwards we'll be taking the same exits on the way out that you'll need to get back to Pueblo. I'll get off of 470 at Santa Fe, & you would just go another few miles to the Colo. Spgs. exit. And yes, they serve pretty good food there.

I've had AL122 for about a month now so I thought I'd chime in and say a few words. Holy ****! What an awesome guitar! I don't think words can really describe this guitar really. It looks great....it plays great....and when played at 11, it sounds even better! I know the guitar has it flaws (that darn trem arm seems to be a sore spot for some) and if Alex is playing one live on stage this tour (I'm assuming AL001) that's good enough for me. Great job Gibson and a big thanks to Big Al himself for inspiring me to take up the guitar in the first place!

I've had AL122 for about a month now so I thought I'd chime in and say a few words. Holy ****! What an awesome guitar! I don't think words can really describe this guitar really. It looks great....it plays great....and when played at 11' date=' it sounds even better! If Alex is playing one (I'm assuming AL001) live on stage (and I'll be at the upcomig Toronto show) that's good enough for me. Great job Gibson and a big thanks to Big Al himself for inspiring me to take up the guitar in the first place!

A side note, here are some dates of interest:

Neil was born on September 12, 1952

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Peart

Geddy was born on July 29, 1953

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee

Alex was born on August 27, 1953

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Lifeson

Neil joined Rush on Geddy's birthday on July 29, 1974.

[/quote']

I had always thought that Alex was born in August. But, I have the Guitar Center Calendar and this past Friday the 20th of June it has Alex Lifeson b.1953 and Chet Atkins b. 1924. I saw the calendar and thought how cool, after I just got the guitar. But, obviously Guitar Center was wrong...should I have expected different??

MY TURN, I love my big al 355, Saul from centre city music (san diego) is the best gibson dealer ever. He is as good as it gets.

My big al came flawless, One of the most incredible guitars I have ever purchased and it was well worth the wait.

I have to tell anyone who is on the fence on this guitar -- you better pull the trigger.

This guitar is a work of art and you will regret not buying it.

So with that I say for all those who purchased one-Let the music flow.

SS

Been reading, and following this thread for awhile....for I to have been waiting for my AL. Now thats its here.....yes it is beautiful.......but this will be my last new Gibson. They must be in a real rush to get these guitars out the door......1 Pick-up was set-up against the strings.......3 dark blemishes in the finish.......most of the screws associated with the bridge were loose.......and they must have used the case to clean up shop one day.....sawdust all thru it.......not a little....alot. My guitar guy buffed the finish....got everything in working order....but thats ridiculous for a brand new Custon Shop guitar be in this kind of shape leaving the factory. My guitar guy had to put 2 hours into a brand new guitar!!! Paul Reed always harps on First Impressions being so important in the high end world of guitars......maybe Gibson needs to worry less about who they are going to sue next....and focus their attention and energy to get their act together. Simply disgracefull to send a guitar out of the factory like this one was......no excuse in my book.

Other than that.....I love my AL!

PJLCC14, shocking.

I am sad that Gibson has lost it's hart. I can't see why we pay the most money for this type of treatment, did you take any photos?

If not you should have.. I think a new high teck order system and tracking would help plus drop a red slip on some of the QC folks.

We pay lots of money for there stuff, how about Gibson paying the customer back with respect?

Hi, all. New to the forum but not to Gibson guitars.

Just got my much anticipated ES355 AL model (AL 233) today and was QUITE disappointed (like some of you above) to see sawdust and wood chips all through the case on opening...but that wasn't the worst of it...

I've never owned an ES355 before, but in mine there is a loose transformer in the lower body upon delivery, and I'm supposing it ain't supposed to be like this...

BAD QC, Gibson, BAD...wasted an afternoon trying to get fixed what should've been done at the factory...now it's in the shop after staying on the phone for an hour...sheesh...

Hi' date=' all. New to the forum but not to Gibson guitars.

Just got my much anticipated ES355 AL model (AL 233) today and was QUITE disappointed (like some of you above) to see sawdust and wood chips all through the case on opening...but that wasn't the worst of it...

I've never owned an ES355 before, but in mine there is a loose transformer in the lower body upon delivery, and I'm supposing it ain't supposed to be like this...

BAD QC, Gibson, BAD...wasted an afternoon trying to get fixed what should've been done at the factory...now it's in the shop after staying on the phone for an hour...sheesh...[/quote']

Man,

I am really sorry you have to deal with this. The Custom Shop should be ashamed of themselves.

I would also like any help as my "g-string" does not ring . It guickly chokes off . I have changed it three times

it must be that bridge ' date=' or the insert it rides one , I can play it open and every fret to the end , it does not ring out like the other 5 , it just dies out , I would love to fix that . Any ideas ?[/quote']

Mine also' date=' can't believe this got past the guys at Wildwood during setup as the guitar plays beautifully apart from those clean amplified passages that really make it stand out..........

Any help with this one anyone............

As for the case being made in Canada, the case for my 96 Les Paul Standard was also made in Canada so maybe thats the norm for Gibson cases..........?????[/quote']

Something about the G string on all the guitars I own it never seems to stay in tune well. On the Lifeson it's more of what's above with that resonation of the plucked string being not as long. Plugged in I don't notice it as much. Still sounds great, I just got back from Red Rocks and man Alex on his white 355s is great! Couldn't wait to come back home and play mine again. I've yet to change strings to see if that makes a difference. I think all the screws on the bridge of mine are all tightened, those Yorkville folks did a really really fine job of setting the guitar up. I even got a 1 free set up from L&M that I can use anytime I want, trouble is they take the guitar for a week.

Man that really sucks about the sawdust and wood particles in the cases. I had a bit of white flakes, I thought it was something from inside the body of the guitar, but that was only the first few times I had opened the case it's all gone now.

I know we all love our Lifeson guitars, but to get upset about saw dust in the case is no biggy compared to the fact that the volute on the neck is wrong. Now, sure you can say to get upset about the volute is picky, but think about this...the volute was only done in the 70's during the infamous Norlin era. Since then Gibson has not put a volute on their guitars. So, with the Lifeson model they decided to try and make it as close tp his original as possible, so they included the volute. All well and good except the volute is 1" lower on the neck than it should be. No biggy??? Well, it can and does get in the way of playing chords on the first fret. What this really means is that the guitar is not only not made to the specs of Alex's guitar but that it has a real structural flaw. To make an error like that is huge mistake. To include the volute on the guitar at all means that they were trying to duplicate Alex's guitar. So, the question must be...if they were trying that hard to duplicate his guitar, why did they screw up the position of the volute to the point of making it a functional issue?

I dont own an Lifeson 355 but did recently receive a 335 1963 block reissue and its absolutely immaculate . This guitar was made about the same time the AL's were in production . I received it on May 15 . All the detail on this guitar couldnt be more perfect . My question to the buyers who ended up with the AL 355 models that had issues, why did you accept them ? For that kind of money you should demand perfection ,. You have a warranty as well . This is also a way to find out if your dealer is going to look out for you the customer .

Just curious barry2001....why should all the dealers be penalized for Gibson's lack of Quality Control. They didn't build them....or NOT set-them up.....or not wipe them down....or NOT inspect the cases for debris before putting a 3K guitar in it. No....this is GIBSON's problem all the way......MY dealer has had NO issues selling me TOP rate PRS's, Tom Andersons, Nik Hubers.....or Hell, even some really nice Fender Custom Shop guitars....this is not his fault or problem......but he is the kind of guy that will help me get it resolved....cause he is a HELL of a Dealer and a Person!

As for Gibson........this WILL be the last new Gibson that I buy from them!!!!!!

How many people who have already received their AL's have an issue with the volute....? I see the what people mean about it being lower than on any other model that has one but it doesn't get in the way of my playing, maybe I have extra long hands or something, but barring that first fret doesn't bother me........

"Gibson Custom" - can anyone answer the qustion about this "Volute" from the Gibson Camp or is it going to be a shunned....? Why can't someone from the bloody Custom Shop just come onto their own forum and have a chat with us about these issues.......???

Just a thought..........

Just curious barry2001....why should all the dealers be penalized for Gibson's lack of Quality Control. They didn't build them....or NOT set-them up.....or not wipe them down....or NOT inspect the cases for debris before putting a 3K guitar in it. No....this is GIBSON's problem all the way......MY dealer has had NO issues selling me TOP rate PRS's' date=' Tom Andersons, Nik Hubers.....or Hell, even some really nice Fender Custom Shop guitars....this is not his fault or problem......but he is the kind of guy that will help me get it resolved....cause he is a HELL of a Dealer and a Person!

As for Gibson........this WILL be the last new Gibson that I buy from them!!!!!![/quote']

Because its the dealers responsibility to deal with the supplier , in this case Gibson . And its the dealers resposibility to make sure the buyer is satisfied . . They have more pull with Gibson than you and i because they are buying lots of guitars, not just one at a time like you and I . I think you are missing the point here . Its not penalizing the dealer . But it does become his problem because it was his decision to become a dealer and at that point its his resposibilty to make sure the customer is satisfied . The mark of a good dealer is , Service after the sale . The customer has to come first . If your dealer falls into this category then you dont have a problem because you will be taken care of . Im not sure what problem you had with your AL but why did you accept it ? When you picked the guitar up I assume you inspected it ? At that point if you found a problem that is when your dealer shuold be on the phone with Gibson or whomever the supplier might be . Im not knocking your dealer but it is absolutely his responsibility to you because he sold it to you ! Its Gibsons responsibility to him because they sold it to him . You didnt buy from Gibson, he did .

How many people who have already received their AL's have an issue with the volute....? I see the what people mean about it being lower than on any other model that has one but it doesn't get in the way of my playing' date=' maybe I have extra long hands or something, but barring that first fret doesn't bother me........

"Gibson Custom" - can anyone answer the qustion about this "Volute" from the Gibson Camp or is it going to be a shunned....? Why can't someone from the bloody Custom Shop just come onto their own forum and have a chat with us about these issues.......???

Just a thought..........[/quote']

it's being looked into.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4424

Archived